Sign in to follow this  

Runways always surrounded by trees, forests and woods

Often, too often I face jungles just few meters before or after runways also on bigger airports.When a DLC will allow to buy a powerful chain saw ?

Welcome to a bit of Bush reality. What you see now is so much better than what we had with remote fields in FSX or FS9. It's hard to spot them just like in real life

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Welcome to a bit of Bush reality. What you see now is so much better than what we had with remote fields in FSX or FS9. It's hard to spot them just like in real life
I am not a real pilot but I doubt in the reality there is plenty of trees just few meters before and after runways. It is not a matter of spotting them, that's a matter of having lot of trees 5-10 mt. after the end of the runway and around 20mt before them.I suspect they have been put there to increase landings challenges......

The trees at the south end of my airport are very close to 50 feet tall and less than 100 feet from the end of a 2900 foot long runway. I do not find that the flight runways are unrealistic.Keep your speed in check and use throttle to control your glide path and you'll get down safely. http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.947524444,-74.314501389&t=h&z=16

And also, when lifting off, set your throttle to max while holding the brakes in. When the RPM is on top release the brakes and make sure you have some 20 to 30 percent flaps down to increase lift. This should get you off the runway faster than you can say chainsaw ^^Edit: Taking off is the correct term, not lifting off ^^

The closest airport to my home is a grass strip in the town of Franconia (1B5). Here are the obstructions listed on AirNav:Runway 18: 42 ft. tree, 98 ft. from runway, 120 ft. left of centerline, 2:1 slope to clearRunway 36: 75 ft. tree, 544 ft. from runway, 156 ft. right of centerline, 7:1 slope to clearThere is also the following under Additional Remarks: "WILDLIFE ON & INVOF ARPT."The above wildlife includes moose, which would be like hitting a tree.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I am not a real pilot but I doubt in the reality there is plenty of trees just few meters before and after runways. It is not a matter of spotting them, that's a matter of having lot of trees 5-10 mt. after the end of the runway and around 20mt before them.I suspect they have been put there to increase landings challenges......
Hey man, you are missing out then! You can see some incredible bush flying on youtube. Just search for "bush flying" or "bush landings". Wait until you see some of that stuff, you wont be complaining about a few trees at the end of the runway :PCheck out this video I found

Yep a lot of airports even in heavy populated areas are carved out in the middle of forests.Near me and I'm crowded South New JerseyCross keys Airport: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cross+Keys+Airport,+North+Tuckahoe+Road,+Williamstown,+NJ&hl=en&t=h&view=map&cid=9188554778077848360&z=17&iwloc=AWhat final and landing is like. - Goto 3:36http://youtu.be/b8YQoZrg560

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It's not just that there are trees, some of these trees are 200ft+ high. Never seen a tree that tall.

Most of the small strips in Hawai'i are for agri purposes and are set right in the middle of the sugar cane fields. There's some warnings about that when checking them at AirNav.

Hey man, you are missing out then! You can see some incredible bush flying on youtube. Just search for "bush flying" or "bush landings". Wait until you see some of that stuff, you wont be complaining about a few trees at the end of the runway :PCheck out this video I found

What a deja vu sensation...it just reminds me certain Flight missions

There is also the following under Additional Remarks: "WILDLIFE ON & INVOF ARPT."The above wildlife includes moose, which would be like hitting a tree.
:Applause:Perhaps something like hitting a gutsy tree or a tree with gut.Arwen, that made my day. Reminded me of an "accident" we had some 30 years ago, but with a yoke of oxen.

Where I live moose a pretty common. They do occasionally wander onto runways, but I've never heard of an aircraft + moose collision here. Automobile + moose collisions are unfortunately quite common. Below is an image of warning signs on the highways around here:

brake-for-moose.jpg

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE