Sign in to follow this  
xxJohnxx

My first real...

Hi,Today I got one big step closer to my next target. Okay maybe lets start it from the beginning. It all started about one year ago. I was interested in aviation, however I wasn't a big fan of it. Until one of my friends and I bought a 50€ joystick and 50€ FSX. First it made lot's of fun to do some of the missions and fly around in multiplayer. However I wasn't a real fan of flying a leg with more than an hour in the default 737 (logicaly because it has only about 5 working switches...). One day I bought the PMDG MD11. I hadn't had a addon before, and it was a huge improvment. I started to have even more fun and I tried to start simming siriously. Later in the last summer somehow my Dad became an great idea. Back in November classes started. At the beginning it was difficult to handle beside school, however it worked out. And today (17.03.2012), after about 6 flyinig hours I did my first landing. Okay, it wasn't perfect and my flight instructor had also his input however I think I can call it my first landing. Okay it was far away from a perfect landing, however I think it was a good start. We started at about 13:20 in LOIH and after about 20 minutes my flight instructor did a touch and go after I flew the approach in EDNL. We flew the traffic pattern and now I was supposed to do the landing. After touchdown my flight instructor did the "go" part of the touch and go and I did another two approaches to the field, followed by a landing of mine, and he did the takeoff part again. Back in LOIH my instructor approached and landed this time because it was a little bussy at the field and he tried to leave the runway early so that we don't have to wait in the holdingbay and than backtrack. I had a really nice and very interesting day! Now I am looking forward to my PPL exams at the fourth April. :)Best regards,Jonathan

Very nice!It's a good idea getting the knowledge test out of the way early on like that. I've yet to do mine.As for landings, it's all feel & just takes time to learn. Try to keep your flare as long & smooth as possible, don't just yank back right before you touch down. These heavies get flown onto the runway but try & grease your single-engine landings, the softer the better.

Hey Ken,Exactly thats what I have expired. I didn't pull the stick as far back as I have should do. I have to improve that next time. :)However, it is just a great experience. Hopefully I get into the air again next week.Best regards,Jonathan

Awesome, although I'm only 17 I also want to start flying lessons. I have a question. WHat would it approximately cost if I want to get my RPL (or even my PPL)? WHat would it could per lesson approximately? I know it's expensive, yes, but how expensive exactly?

Hi Arjen,I pay 5,500€ for the flying hours, 900€ for the instructor, 300€ for the landing fee and about 1,500€ for additional costs (medical, student license, theoretical lessons, etc.). However, I think it's worth it. Best regards,Jonathan

In the US it runs most students $7-10k for ppl, that's based on 40-60 hrs of instruction.I'm about 1/3 of the way towards mine. I've done some solo flights & more or less got the hang of crosswind landings.

Hi Arjen,I pay 5,500€ for the flying hours, 900€ for the instructor, 300€ for the landing fee and about 1,500€ for additional costs (medical, student license, theoretical lessons, etc.). However, I think it's worth it.Best regards,Jonathan
Hmm... that's quite expensive. One question though, how's the medical, is it strict? Just as strict as for the commercial pilot. Cuz medically I'm not 100%. I have pretty light sensitive eyes and need sunglasses at day 90% of the occasions (even when it rains), however, when I wear sunglasses it's all fine. Just wondering if that can disqualify me...?

Hi Arjen,My eyes aren't that perfect also. I need normal glasses because my eyesight isn't the best, however I prefer to wear corrective sunglasses which combine normal glasses with sunglasses. The medical tests weren't very strict. I am not the fittest guy in the world, however there was no problem. The doctor, which was quiet old, did some checks, wrote down my health history and asked questions like if I am taking drugs or if I am smoking. Of course that isn't the case. Then the doctor explained the human ear to me, including a very big model of the human ear (this seems to become a running gag, because every new student is very amused about the ear explanation :( ). Afterwards he printed out some sheets. My medical and several copies of it, and that was it. I can't imagine that it is as strict as a commercial pilot medical. I think you should ask a doctor which is allowed to give out medicals if it is possible for you to get a medical. Best regards,Jonathan

Hmm... that's quite expensive. One question though, how's the medical, is it strict? Just as strict as for the commercial pilot. Cuz medically I'm not 100%. I have pretty light sensitive eyes and need sunglasses at day 90% of the occasions (even when it rains), however, when I wear sunglasses it's all fine. Just wondering if that can disqualify me...?
At least here in germany it is no problem. Not sure how it is in the netherlands though, but it should be pretty much the same due to the JAR FCL.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Hey guys,

I am very excited, because tomorrow morning ( 0700 UTC) I will write my theoretical exam for the PPL. I had many thing to learn, and tomorrow I will give my best (and hopefully pass)

Jonathan

wish you best luck for it! Hopefully you'll make it

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

I am very excited, because tomorrow morning ( 0700 UTC) I will write my theoretical exam for the PPL. I had many thing to learn, and tomorrow I will give my best (and hopefully pass)

Wish you good luck.

And I tell you, it is a great feeling when you pass.

Awesome, although I'm only 17 I also want to start flying lessons. I have a question. WHat would it approximately cost if I want to get my RPL (or even my PPL)? WHat would it could per lesson approximately? I know it's expensive, yes, but how expensive exactly?

Arjan,

If you live in Holland it cost about 15.000 euros.

You can easily find flying schools on the internet. There is a good one on Rotterdam airport.

Eric