Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Any way to load up the NGX ready to start engines?

I'm looking for a fast short cut to avoiding the whole engine start routine, but it must initialize w/ engines off for the purpose of running the great program, GSX.Thanks in advance,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You can use the "short turnaround" state. When you load the aircraft, the APU is running, IRS aligned. Engine start takes only a couple of minutes after that, load or plan your FMC and your practically ready to rock.

-Iain Watson-

You can also make your own default satrtup state to your liking. Set the plane up just like you would like to have it, go to PMDG options on the CDU, select save panel state, then select your just saved state as default startup state.

Thank you both for those tips. Truth be told, I have never learned how to start up from cold and dark. Maybe some day!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It's good fun, try it. It's so good knowing you started from cold and dark, ran through all the procedures, got take off permission, flew the route, landed, parked up and shut down the engines. It feels like you really did the flight. So much satisfaction, much more than just flying the route on it's own-especially considering you planned the route too. Just have a few sessions where you start engines, even if you do nothing else. That way you add your engine starting knowledge to flying and it all gels in your mind.Steve

Thank you both for those tips. Truth be told, I have never learned how to start up from cold and dark. Maybe some day!
It's not that much work, and to be quite honest, you've wasted part of your $70 purchase if you don't.Looking at the rest of your add-ons in your signature, you seem to like the more complex aircraft, so I'm kinda confused by your question (wanting to load it all set up and ready to go), but hey...If simple aircraft with pretty models is what you're looking for, I would've spent a lot less and went for something along the lines of CLS (no offense meant to them - they just go for a different audience).

Kyle Rodgers

It's good fun, try it. It's so good knowing you started from cold and dark, ran through all the procedures, got take off permission, flew the route, landed, parked up and shut down the engines. It feels like you really did the flight. So much satisfaction, much more than just flying the route on it's own-especially considering you planned the route too. Just have a few sessions where you start engines, even if you do nothing else. That way you add your engine starting knowledge to flying and it all gels in your mind.Steve
Steve, do you recommend using the lengthy included guides, or is there a quick start guide available that isn't too much to muddle thru? Thanks for the tips as well. Right now using GSX and FSPax there's plenty to do besides going thru a start up routine, but I do understand what you are saying. I've done it w/ a few other planes, i.e. learned and did do the startup from cold and dark, but not for a while.

Noel

It's not that much work, and to be quite honest, you've wasted part of your $70 purchase if you don't.Looking at the rest of your add-ons in your signature, you seem to like the more complex aircraft, so I'm kinda confused by your question (wanting to load it all set up and ready to go), but hey...If simple aircraft with pretty models is what you're looking for, I would've spent a lot less and went for something along the lines of CLS (no offense meant to them - they just go for a different audience).
Yeah, but hey. People are driven differently for different reasons, yes? There is a little truth to what you are saying of course, however it sorely misses the other aspects of the NGX and why I enjoy it is so easy to enjoy, even for those less enthralled by flipping various switches to get the thing ready to role. Plenty of other stuff to enjoy w/ setting up and following the flight plan, the FMC, the superior internal lighting, nice flight modeling and control, the NGX's responsive autopilot, paying attention to a few things in FSPax, and of course the lovely takeoff and landing sequences. So in the end, starting from cold and dark is just one small, one very small, part of the total experience. And it's nice to know there is some more depth to explore should I become bored w/ what I currently do. I think I evolved out of doing cold and dark starts mainly because of time constraints. Having started to use GSX though, there is new time to kill, so perhaps I'll go back and check it out again.

Noel

Yeah I'm a bit confused aswell Noel, You spent all that extra money for full systems simulator then expect to be able shortcut the systems that make it a full systems simulator in the first place..... Interesting :Thinking:But hey each to his own suppose.It really doesnt take that long setting it all up from cold and dark. It sounds like you've been a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the aircraft to be honest, Noel read the manual mate and do a couple of the tutorials included with the NGX and I can assure once you've had enjoyment of setting it up from a cold and dark state you will be hooked. :(

Steve, do you recommend using the lengthy included guides, or is there a quick start guide available that isn't too much to muddle thru? Thanks for the tips as well. Right now using GSX and FSPax there's plenty to do besides going thru a start up routine, but I do understand what you are saying. I've done it w/ a few other planes, i.e. learned and did do the startup from cold and dark, but not for a while.
I haven`t flown in a little while so here's what I`ll do. I`ll put the details in a text file as I do it now, not to fly but just to spark up the engines ready to taxi out. Then I`ll pm you the details. If I do this right you should be able to print it out and get it the first time round.Steve

Yeah I'm a bit confused aswell Noel, You spent all that extra money for full systems simulator then expect to be able shortcut the systems that make it a full systems simulator in the first place..... Interesting :Thinking:But hey each to his own suppose.It really doesnt take that long setting it all up from cold and dark. It sounds like you've been a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the aircraft to be honest, Noel read the manual mate and do a couple of the tutorials included with the NGX and I can assure once you've had enjoyment of setting it up from a cold and dark state you will be hooked. :(
Let's see, all that extra money comes down to maybe . . . $25 over the simpler models. Wow, I guess I should have really sat down and thought this through! :( For me friend, the superior lighting, superior VC graphics, superior autopilot function, great sounds, and the headroom should I decide to become more intimate with it, are all ample reasons to part w/ . . . all that extra money.Cheers, and thanks for your insights.
I haven`t flown in a little while so here's what I`ll do. I`ll put the details in a text file as I do it now, not to fly but just to spark up the engines ready to taxi out. Then I`ll pm you the details. If I do this right you should be able to print it out and get it the first time round. Steve
Wow, above and beyond Steve. Thank you so much for that I will take advantage of your efforts to simplify this.Cheers!

Noel

If you give just a quick view to a manual called "introduction" it will explain the features of the NGX without going into the real aircraft system. This means that the intro manual, few pages, contains how to load and save a panel state.It is simple, it is faster than waiting an answer on a forum ;)You will find it interesting, useful, and probably will give you a lot of info that you don't know right now.From cold and dark, to a panel situation that a pilot find on board (when someone turn it on before pilot boarding) there is not too much difference. Battery, APU or GPU, emergency lights. The rest must be done. time to waste, around a minute (for apu start) much less without it.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Thank you Andrea. How right you are--you've easily spotted someone who doesn't often read manuals! I did read manuals in the past, but alas learned enough to have good success doing what I intend to do, which is hop in, program the FMC w/ a flight plan, and take off, w/o opening up a manual. Plus, when all is said and done on this topic, there is a solid reason why the default panel state for the NGX is w/ engines running ;o)

Noel