Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Dash 8 Q400 by FlyJSim

Headiing towards the weekend, Im itching to get a new plane for X-plane X. Anyone have the Dash 8? Its looks nice, but just thought Id ask if anyone had any input on it before I buy,Rob

Hi Rob,This is my favorite turboprop airliner for X-Plane although displays correctly for me in XP10 I notice slight differences in the engine and prop management between XP9 and XP10 that I don't deeply understand (perhaps someone can clarify this) and I understand (I could be mistaken) that the developer don't support 100% this plane in XP10 yet. Overall I find it really well done, great VC, exteriors, systems, crisp high res textures and it's a real challenge to fly.Good luck,Alex

Alexander Colka

I have it - really nice aircraft. BUT, make sure you download the sound patch from the FlyJ website - otherwise, you'll have strange startup behaviour (the props won't appear to spin). The update file solves that problem. It is actually fun and easy to fly - and it is fast. But DON'T let it get close to stall speed - it is unforgiving on approach if you do and it will drop like a stone. And it takes forever for the power to come back up.handles really nice. My only complaint is the transponder controls are driven by a plugin and will not allow any external control, like Goflight module or Air Track, to change the transponder frequency. You have to use the dial in the virtual cockpit, which is not easy when in flight.And read the manual - if you use a throttle quad, the lower 1/4 of it is reverse - just so you don't accidently go into reverse when throttling back on descent.

It looks really good, but the lack of pilots in the pit (when viewed from outside the aircraft) is a little off-putting. If they are added in someday I will probably pick it up.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

It looks really good, but the lack of pilots in the pit (when viewed from outside the aircraft) is a little off-putting. If they are added in someday I will probably pick it up.
A rubber doll keeps you from buying a plane :( I always end up getting rid of the one in the CRJ, obviously different tastes...I got it, and just love it, btw I've not downloaded any patch and I've not seen any weird prop behavior?Am running XP10 the latest RC as of last night, might add that I use x-fmc just in LNAV mode, its niceto get something that let's you use the latest Navigraph updates and that does.Cheers,

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

OH, I checked BTW, and if you buy the Dash right now its version 2.01 andthat patch change is incorporated into it, which explains why I've had no problems.

A rubber doll keeps you from buying a plane :( I always end up getting rid of the one in the CRJ, obviously different tastes...I got it, and just love it, btw I've not downloaded any patch and I've not seen any weird prop behavior?Am running XP10 the latest RC as of last night, might add that I use x-fmc just in LNAV mode, its niceto get something that let's you use the latest Navigraph updates and that does.Cheers,
No, not "in" the cockpit, I just want them inside from the external view.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Ahh, ok that's understandable... still I wouldn't let that keep you from enjoyingthis great plane!

HI,i just recently bought this,using X Plane10. Not spent a great deal of time on it as yet but my first impressions were good. Handles very well,feels quite 'weighty'...fun! I managed a trouble free first landing,but it does offer a good challenge,quite a fast plane compared to what i'm used to :-)I've altered my field of view in the rendering settings as some digits in the 3d cockpit are fuzzy and require you to zoom in a little to read them clearly. It's a habit of mine to hit the pause button to dial the radios,i panic using this plane otherwise.Hehe :-)Framerates are good,i used the standard res version(comes with hi rez too)....i bought a regional jet before this plane that kills my system so it's a relief that i can use this plane.Spoilers deploying automatically is a good feature,one thing i'd like to see is working wipers. :-)

I am actually working on a review of this particular model along with the SSJ-100 Superjet as sort of a dual XP airliner piece.I had actually purchased both planes prior to deciding to write about them.The Dash 8 is seriously well done. If you have experience with the Flight 1 ATR72-500 under FSX you will find this similar in general function from a flight management perspective and FAR better looking and performing under X-Plane...not to mention way faster.Not to steal my own thunder...but it's a good 'un! Well worth the money and loads of fun to fly. Same goes for the SSJ actually.I'll eventually have the review in for publication. I have been busy with a transatlantic move/new job and this is literally my first weekend to enjoy flight simming :Peace:One caveat....I am still using XP9.7 so no comment regarding performance under XPX at the present time.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

How the review is going?

and another question: Can someone post some images of the Q400?

would be nice to see them.

I had a look at the FlyJSim Dash 8 here. I don't yet own it.

First thing that strikes me about the flyjsim (from the video) is that it's using default sounds (except the engine starter). This is disappointing, expecially when I remember a freeware dash 8 from fs2002 that sounded just like the real thing.

I fly the Wideroe Q400 services a lot in real life, and I know what these things sound like inside and out. It's got a very distinctive sound, especially during taxi operations.

The only other plane I've been on that sounds like a Dash-8 is the Saab 2000. The sounds that should be in this payware aircraft should include:

- Startup of props in feathered position

- Transition sounds from feathered --> beta <-- flight mode

- Beta range of props during taxi

- Takeoff climb and cruise sounds

- Turbine whine