Sign in to follow this  
Scorpiux

XP-10 and SSD...

Hi,I am new to the X-Plane series, and have just ordered the XP-10 (hopefully arriving tomorrow)... I was wondering if installing it on my SSD drive will give some advantages, it help only with loading times in FSX...Secondly i am on a Win-7 64-bit does it also give some advantages...? or have i understood correct it will dont help anything...Thanks in advance and hoping to becoming a solid member of the XP community..Best regards,Mo'PS; Does anyone know if the military jets of Barry Leger will work in XP-10..?

Can't comment on what benefits if any the SSD will bring.Re. 64-bit, X-Plane 10 currently does not support 64-bit though this feature is reportedly coming sooner than later. However, my understanding is that the additional RAM allowed by 64-bit systems will be utilized by the simulator in its current build.

Most likely minimal advantages, and any you do gain will only be in the overall loading times.I've installed the demo on both my SSD and my traditional drive and haven't observed any differences. One item to note is that the full version of X-Plane does take up a TON of space, so unless you have lots of room to spare on the SSD, you may wish to keep X-Plane on a traditional drive.For any storage hungry games, be it X-Plane, FSX, or anything else... a traditional drive is recommended simply to keep the expensive real estate of your SSD relatively clear and available for other items.The fact you are on Win7 64 benefits you from the perspective of your operating system and other programs. If you have enough RAM, X-Plane will be given it's own 32-bit workspace to play around in within the overall memory space. It's not going to be competing against the OS and any other programs unless your system is just plain old short on memory.-Greg

I have it on a 256 gb ssd and I can say for sure it loads alot faster than off a platter drive, I have a very large photoscenery file which takes forever to load on a regular hard drive.So if you want to go the photoscenery route, then I would recommend an ssd.

I have and intel 320 ssd with 250 gb... Was considering to use it. And i got 16gb RAM in my system... So it should help...

On SSD - you won't notice much, other than initial load times. I have mine on a 1tb HDD and there is no delay loading scenery. I have an SSD, but I'm saving that for things that cna use the speed, like the OS.I also have Xplane running on 64 bit OS - Xplane will use all 4gb available to it - so yes, the 64 bit OS is a must (if oyu have 32 bit you might run into bad allocation errors when the program runs out of memory addresses. Also, Xplane is expected to go 64bit in the next few beta cycles, so I would recommend a 64 bit OS. Don't expect any performance improvement over 32 bit though.

Ahh okay. I have my OS on another SSD. But i will hopefully find out tomorrow night, thanks for the replies.

How many GB does XPX actually take up?? I am looking into an SSD for my next build.. I am only planning on loading the US scenery also..

I had the demo on a ssd and moved it to a hdd when I installed the full version. The load time is by far the most frustrating thing for me with xplane, it feels like an eternity sometimes. It's been a while since I had it on a SSD but I am sure it was faster loading. I am about to buy another SSD today, that will make three in my machine. I am just sick of hdds!

Just one of my x3---v10 installs takes 63.8Gb --- at present with NO addon Scenery (Default issues only) About 50+ Addon Aircraft (Top range Light/Medium GA)The largest of my x2--- v9.7 installs 87.4Gb but shes pretty ladden with Addons however I'm not a big Scenery addon Fan --so X-Planes pretty juices for space wlf man

If you can afford a SSD and if you can find a SSD with a larger capacity, why not. But no one uses a flight simulator only with default sceneries. You'll need a lot of free space for add-ons. So if your SSD is full, you can always install a part of X-Plane on a 2nd drive. It's very easy to move your Aircraft folder or your Custom Scenery folder and link them to X-Plane thanks to symbolic links.But first, try a better file system. I'm using Ext4 for now and it's great.http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIxNwhttp://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_fsHappy flying ! :(

But no one uses a flight simulator only with default sceneries.
Ahhhemmm!! Some people do fly a flight Sim. with just default scenery Max--I like all my Machines energy to go into 'Wannabe Piloting' not 'Landscape Gardening' Mate!(Mind you if someone turned out an 'Illegal Immigrant 0r Moonshine Smuggling' addon I might go for it-- I've got the planes and need all the pocket money I can get to keep them airbourne!)

OK you're right, I did also use default sceneries when I didn't find an add-on for a place I wanted to visit. But performance is better with photo-sceneries + OSM2XP than with default X-Plane autogen buildings, so it's not only about "Landscape Gardening". :(

But performance is better with photo-sceneries + OSM2XP than with default X-Plane autogen buildings
Hi MdMax, what's the reason for that?Marco

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

Always liked the Scenery in your shots Max & the stuff the Australasians are coming up with--just don't need it at the moment myself--would prefer to have some spectacular Clouds/Atmosphere as thats what I fly in and maybe some tasty Water effects.