Sign in to follow this  

Just bought Maule, can't take off with passengers...?

I too think there is a problem with some of the crazy winds, heck some of them would appear to be almost hurricane force winds. But then I have never been to Hawaii and don't know if this is normal for that area.

For Michael who is trying to fly the Maule using the keyboard for rudder input, best bet it to set fair weather or clear skies - take as much wind out of the equation as possible.

as soon as I opened started moving I was pushed left even though I gave FULL rudder right. Utterly useless.

This is a huge bug and it hasn't been fixed yet nor the betatesters have been listened in the matter.

Before the game was released I had a long thread about similar problems in the Stearman in high crosswinds. A few people understood the problem, a few didn't. In the end I discovered how to take off with a crosswind without problems.

If there's no wind at all, you still have torque pulling the plane to the left when you go to full throttle. In the Cessna 150 it does the same thing PLUS pulls to the right a bit under descent power. You're constantly on the rudder pedals. Since the Maule and Stearman are taildraggers, you get additional pull to the left because of the high angle of attack when the tail is down. You'll get the same thing during a climb, or during landing if your nose is high. I've found the Maule pulls to the left slightly during takeoff, but is easy to control with rudder pedals.

A crosswind will really want to swing the plane's nose into the wind and can be hard to control, especially if the crosswind is higher.

I discovered that differential braking helps during a crosswind takeoff. If you're using the keyboard to control the rudder, don't worry too much about using the rudder, just use the differential brake key. As soon as the nose wants to turn, mash that key hard and hold it down until you're flying (as long as it's not pulling you off the runway in the opposite direction). Don't worry, you won't lose enough speed to matter. If you're using rudder pedals, you can just give the plane the proper rudder input and hold the button for both brakes; the game will apply proper differential braking when you do this. It becomes easy to control using this method. It may help during the initial part of the takeoff roll to pull the stick full back, although in the Stearman you'll end up flying before you want to.

If you're finding it too difficult to control during takeoff when using the keyboard to control the rudder, turn on the rudder assist.

Good luck!

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Guest bstolle

One of the reasons why a replay function is definitely needed. A LOT can be learned from watching what, why and how something went wrong during e.g. a crosswind take off when reviewed.....

I find the mouse much more sensitive than my old clunky joystick (admittedly a low end one, I don't do much flying). So I am hesitant to start investing in other gear when the mouse works so well.

Michael, see if you can beg borrow or steal a gray Xbox controller, I think they're perfect for the job.

Guest bstolle

using a PS2 type controller since years....works like the controls for an RC model. Left stick elevator/aileron, right stick rudder.

No wear, very precise and rests relaxed on the thighs. Better than any joystick/yoke I used before...