Sign in to follow this  
enamel

Wind bug?

Has anyone noticed an issue with wind on jobs?Last night I was running drugs on the big island (at least i hope that's what it is, I don't want to think about what it could be if not!) my settings were night time, clear sky. I noticed at take off there was a stiff breeze which I did not think was a property of the clear sky weather.Anyway, I take off and fly for about 30nm without issue, going around the south side of the big volcano. All of the sudden I am in a violent roll to the left, seemingly faster than the Maule can roll on its own. I gain control of the roll and the plane is stalling. It feels like I have no power, but the engine still seems to be running. The plane stalls out, and since I am skimming treetops, I have no room to recover.I don't run with the HUD on, so I don't know what the wind speed was. I exited the mission, and immediately exit the map to go back to free flying and there is no wind at all, not even the breeze that I had been flying most my job in.Anyone ever experience this?

Great to know you found it! Looks rather realistic to me !!! THUMBS UP on FLIGHT's Weather model enhancements...Night sea breeze, sometimes rather stiff (from land to ocean) and, orographic effect from the mountain with the volcano....FLIGHT RULEZzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Great to know you found it! Looks rather realistic to me !!! THUMBS UP on FLIGHT's Weather model enhancements...Night sea breeze, sometimes rather stiff (from land to ocean) and, orographic effect from the mountain with the volcano....FLIGHT RULEZzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!
I also agree. The weather engine is fantastic so far.

I also agree. The weather engine is fantastic so far.
Everything about the weather engine is good except the fair weather clouds.

This was really violent tho, all of the sudden I was put inverted and had a total loss of control.If it is normal and intended, it gives me a lot more insight on the hazards of flying small aircraft at low altitudes!

What was that, a rotor? Someone needs to document what kinds of weather we can come across, and what to watch for (and watch out for). I once went looking for signs of ridge lift and couldn't find any. Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I once went looking for signs of ridge lift and couldn't find any.Hook
Me either, but then again FLIGHT's airplanes are not the best to search for it....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I flew with clear skies only few times and didn't experience it but what i did experience is the most awesome weather theme available in Flight at the moment - isolated thunderstorms :)A friend and i are flying together every night, doing jobs and stuff and talking on Skype. So we figured we should spice it up and only few days upon Flight's release went on to try this weather theme. It started ok, the wind wasn't too strong and we took off without problem but after some 10nm of a rather smooth flight, there it was - an isolated storm :) I cannot express how incredibly awesome it was. We were both thrilled and kept doing our best to keep our passengers happy. However, with sudden strikes of winds as fast as 104kt, it was a mission impossible. Wind was slapping my Maule so hard that my heading was jumping by 20+ degrees back and forth. To make things worse, it was also pushing the nose up and down which resulted in passengers starting to vomit and squeal in agony :) During final and landing, winds were much more calm, not crossing some 20kt, just about right to make any landing interesting.Since then, we mostly fly isolated thunderstorm and squalls (which is also a fantastic theme to fly with) unless we want to have a pleasant and relaxing flight.The only huge turn off is that there are no thunders and lightnings :sad: I remember how much i used to enjoy those with FSX + REX, it was surreal. I sure hope they implement it soon and i also really hope we will get blizzards with Alaska. Now that would make some flights really challenging.And on topic, i will try it out now, set clear skies and try flying near the observatory on the main island and see if i get caught by a hidden ninja wind :PEDIT: Ok, i just tested it. I turned on the HUD and started flying. I was flying near the volcano, and i had a constant drag to the left. My bank was not severe, perhaps 15 degrees and my altitude was more or less steady (changes of 50,60ft most). However, there was no wind indicator as there usually is when flying any other weather theme which i find quite weird. Then i wanted to test it a little further from the volcano and plane was flying straight as an arrow. I then turned towards the volcano and the plane started banking again but this time, i was closer to the ground (one side of the volcano) and eventually i was pulled down a little bit and crashed. I didn't want to try to recover, i used fly with mouse for this test and kept a crosshair in dead center of a large circle inside the cross. So, i guess the wind near mountain peaks is not displayed but it is definitely there. Interesting find :)Cheers

I've noticed that the wind indicator only rarely reacts to gusts. Thunderstorm winds last long enough to change the indicator, but not the quick breezes in places like the saddle between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.

Everything about the weather engine is good except the fair weather clouds.
Agreed, they wouldn't be so bad if at some angles you didn't see a couple of rows of them all in a perfectly straight line.

Yep, we glider nuts love to see it in a windy they... Cloud Streets... - although unfortunately I don't think FLIGHT models the apropriate effects produced by such weather situations that allow us, in RL, to fly kilometers along them, back and then, hopefuly, forth...

Maybe... horizontal convective rolls? (Yeah, probably not, but hey, if I tell myself that it doesn't kill the immersion.)

Main Simulation Rig: