Sign in to follow this  
JonRD463

3rd Party Ecology

Hi all. I'm just about ready to order XP10, and I had a few questions regarding the state of 3rd party development, particularly with utilities and enhancements of the non-aircraft and scenery variety. With FSX, you have programs like Active Sky generating robust weather environments, FS Passengers or XPax giving your flights some character with cabin crew, FS2Crew giving your flight processes real world flow and immersion, and so on.

It's unfortunate that XPlane has received very little love in these areas, but I can understand why the 3PD would have some hesitation given how dynamic and evolving the XPlane development cycles go. Nevertheless, I am curious if there is anything like the above examples either currently available or in the works. I'm particularly interested in anything to give life to the cabin environment, with flight crew announcements a la FSPax or perhaps FDC Live Cockpit.

Thanks!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

XP11 I understand will have almost everything you are looking for. I think you will need to give it some more time to pan out :Waiting:

Bob

XP11 I understand will have almost everything you are looking for. I think you will need to give it some more time to pan out :Waiting:

Bob

Well, given how... er... "special" MS Flight is turning out, my hope is that XPlane 3PD will pick up. I still fly FSX, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I may consider P3D, but there's a lot I'm really liking about XP10 based on my demo experience and reading about all the scenery and aircraft in the works. Hopefully, it won't come to a wait for 11 before we see some good stuff.

BTW, much respect for your sig, sir. If you ever find yourself in the DPR Seattle area, I'll have to buy you a beer.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Well, given how... er... "special" MS Flight is turning out, my hope is that XPlane 3PD will pick up. I still fly FSX, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I may consider P3D, but there's a lot I'm really liking about XP10 based on my demo experience and reading about all the scenery and aircraft in the works. Hopefully, it won't come to a wait for 11 before we see some good stuff.

BTW, much respect for your sig, sir. If you ever find yourself in the DPR Seattle area, I'll have to buy you a beer.

Well thanks Bud, I would love that and I may take you up on that. My wife and I lived near the Bremerton-Silverdale area for 10 years up until 2009. Nice to hear there are still some in Washington State who understand the need to honor the sacrifices made for this great Country by our military.

Thanks again

Bob

I gotta be careful not to divulge anything, equally what I've been told might not happen. But I was very pleased to hear it. Xp10 has legs far more than 9 ever had, and that's without the additional unfortunate policy change in ms flight.

Active sky is not really needed, IMHO.

The skies in XP do look mighty fine, and I know REX is available for those needing a little extra there. Given my limited experience with it, I don't know what the weather engine as a whole is like. Could you perhaps give a rundown? How well does it simulate dynamic systems, i.e. storms rolling through, visibility changes from the deck on up, etc.? I mainly just listed AS as an example of one of many 3P addons to enhance FSX, but weather is so integral to the flying experience, it'd be nice to know what's already there in XP.

I have to say, though, that tease has done its job. I can't guess what it is that you can't divulge, but it does fire up the imagination. ;)

I gotta be careful not to divulge anything, equally what I've been told might not happen. But I was very pleased to hear it.

Ahhhhhhhh Simon...you're a bloomin tease! Lol! You get all the juicy gossip!

Rhydian

Im no expert, but I find the weather and clouds vastly better than fsx default. Not sure if REX is needed, though more varied sky colours would help. The turbulence is more subtle. Still issues, but they'll fix it eventually. If u activate real online weather, it's very good and varied, but it'll only change at the intervals you specify.

Yes, sometimes I feel I'll burst with some of the things I hear! But we pride ourselves on confidentiality.

But I'll rule one thing OUT. I ain't heard nothink about PMDG progress on their investigations into xplane. C'mon guys, pull the finger out and tell us what's happening!

The turbulence is more subtle.

It seems like the turbulence is almost always a bit more subtle than it seems like it should be.

But I'll rule one thing OUT. I ain't heard nothink about PMDG progress on their investigations into xplane. C'mon guys, pull the finger out and tell us what's happening!

This is what might make me upgrade from X-Plane 9 to X-Plane 10 and really consider it as at least a compliment to FSX for a good deal of my flying. While the JRollon CRJ is great, it would be nice to have more detailed airliner add-ons to such a high degree of quality. Maybe then we'll see more utilities such as FS2Crew that add that additional layer of depth.

I looked at that site and found a French search page.