Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

European routes and how to read european approach plates and departure and arrival charts

This one is for the 747X and the NGX. I use to do a bunch of international flights with the 747 all the time mainly to Europe. However, I stopped because I don't have any idea on where to find charts and I have no idea on how to read European charts. I am used to the NACO charts from the USA because I use them when I do my real world flying.

That being said, I would like to do more international flying and I would also really like to do European flights with the NGX. So my question is this; Where can I get charts and can someone explain how to read them?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Each individual country has it's own Aviation Authority, the IAA is Irelands, you can get the AIP for free from every country's IAA AFAIK. Also, AFAIK, some will require you to sign up with an email address but there is no cost involved, The AIP of each country should contain all the charts and rules you need for flying in their airspace. Check out the Irish AIP here; http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm

Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

PS, in each AIP, it's the AD [or aerodrome] section that will contain the information you need, although the GEN and ENR may be of interest to you still...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

You can find charts on http://www.ead.euroc...index.php.html# , just register (for free) as EAD basic user. Charts are not standardized, but I believe everyone can read it. If you need more standardized solution, you should go with jeppesen.

If you want jeppesen charts, you can go on VATEUD site (google "VATEUD") . Select "countries" in top menu, select country, follow the link to local website, and finnaly, download significant charts.

I'd suggest the Jepp charts. They are pretty much the standard worldwide, with only minor variations for some countries/regions. Of course, they're more expensive...

Paul

Check_Airman,

Of course being an American you would say they are the world standard... However many of the airlines in Europe don't use Jeppesen, and when it comes to flight planning they are defiantly a minority.

Most European Airlines now use LIDO from Lufthansa, British Airways use NavTech (the real world counterpart to Navigraph)

Check_Airman,

Of course being an American you would say they are the world standard... However many of the airlines in Europe don't use Jeppesen, and when it comes to flight planning they are defiantly a minority.

Most European Airlines now use LIDO from Lufthansa, British Airways use NavTech (the real world counterpart to Navigraph)

We still use Jeppesen...

Though we are changing over soon...

Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Aer Lingus navigates with Lido/RouteManual

April 3, 2012

Carrier joins growing circle of customers using Lufthansa Systems navigation charts

Lufthansa Systems today announced that the Irish airline Aer Lingus is going to use its Lido/RouteManual navigation charts. The airline will thus benefit from the charts' clear structure and easy legibility. Lido/RouteManual provides cockpit crews with the latest set of aeronautical data and information, making their work considerably easier especially during key flight phases such as take-off and landing.

The Lufthansa Systems navigation charts are generated directly from the company's Lido navigation database. The charts display true-to-scale geographic information such as terrain features and rivers. They also include airport taxiway charts, approach and take-off charts, and a seamless worldwide route chart. The navigation charts' clear color-coding and self-explanatory symbols support visual thinking. The identical setup and structure of paper and electronic charts makes it easier for airlines to subsequently migrate to the electronic Lido/eRouteManual solution.

"With Lido/RouteManual, Aer Lingus now also benefits from our proven solutions in terms of navigation charts," explains Marco Cesa, Senior Vice President Regional Management Europe at Lufthansa Systems. "This is a further expansion of our trusted partnership which started almost ten years ago with the use of our flight planning solution, Lido/Flight. We are now providing Aer Lingus with optimized process support in many ways."

Aer Lingus is Ireland's national carrier and is headquartered in Dublin. The airline’s network comprises 100 routes, from Ireland to Europe and the United States. Established in 1936, Aer Lingus operates a modern fleet of 44 aircraft, consisting of Airbus A320s, A321s and A330s.

Note to editors:

Lufthansa Systems provides consulting and IT services for selected industries and has a leading position in the global aviation industry. The wholly-owned subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group offers its customers the entire range of IT-services, including consulting, development and implementation of industry solutions as well as operations. At its headquarters in Kelsterbach near Frankfurt/Main, Germany, the company operates one of the most modern data centers in Europe. Lufthansa Systems has offices in Germany and 16 other countries and employs about 3,000 people. In business year 2011, Lufthansa Systems recorded revenues of EUR 599 million.

For further information, please contact:

Lufthansa Systems AG

Sandra Hammer

Corporate Communications

Tel.: +49 (0)69 696 90776

Fax: +49 (0)69 696 90777

E-mail: publicrelations@LHsystems.com

Ronan,

You won't for much longer... Your the latest customer of Lufthansa Systems.

http://www.lhsystems...2/apr_12_01.htm

Correct, beat me to it, I had forgotten about that, but our charts are ATM, jeppeson...

Have a copy of a jeppeson QRAB right here beside me...

AFAIK, our LIDO charts shall be arriving come the next cycle, or it may be the one after, there are financial things that have gotten, urm, complicated...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Yes your LIDO manuals are being customized as we speak in Switzerland by my co-workers at Lufthansa systems.

What is really interesting is that some of the large US airlines are joining FedEx in changing from Jeppesen to LIDO.

Yes your LIDO manuals are being customized as we speak in Switzerland by my co-workers at Lufthansa systems.

What is really interesting is that some of the large US airlines are joining FedEx in changing from Jeppesen to LIDO.

Good to know, I've yet to see the new charts themselves, I wasn't part of the team chosen to try them out...

I wonder how Jeppesen will try and re-gain some of the market share...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

They lost it with the flight planning system by just upgrading the old and not starting with the new. Paper charts are horses for courses... However when it comes to the EFB the lido eRM wins hands down.

It's a bit like Boeing trying to keep the 737 alive instead of starting afresh with a new aircraft.