Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

European routes and how to read european approach plates and departure and arrival charts

Thanks for the comments and help. Ill try to dechipher them and reference specific charts if i have any questions about said chart.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

They lost it with the flight planning system by just upgrading the old and not starting with the new. Paper charts are horses for courses... However when it comes to the EFB the lido eRM wins hands down.

It's a bit like Boeing trying to keep the 737 alive instead of starting afresh with a new aircraft.

We still haven't got the latest EFBs, we have i-pads for manuals, and a laptop for performance calculations, but none of the fancy stuff that some airlines have nowadays, our chief pilot really want's them, but management don't seem to see eye to eye with her on this one...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Lido now make a version of the ERM for the iPad once your airline is using the charts you maybe able to installation your iPad... Depending on the contract between your airline and LSY.

The application can be found on the itunes store (lido I/route manual pro) it is free to download, but you need it to be authorized by your airline.

Then it will automatically download all of your manuals etc

Lido now make a version of the ERM for the iPad once your airline is using the charts you maybe able to installation your iPad... Depending on the contract between your airline and LSY.

The application can be found on the itunes store (lido I/route manual pro) it is free to download, but you need it to be authorized by your airline.

Then it will automatically download all of your manuals etc

That's the thing, the airline doesn't think we should need it, and that our current methods work fine [which they do of course]. It'd be nice to see a list of all the features available, ATM we're as good as an all paper cockpit, bar the TO/LND performance calculator...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

The weight saving alone should justify it... I will find the figures from LH later it was quite amazing!

Also we now have a program called Altitools that helps suggest an optimum profile to us en-route.. With significantly more processing power than the FMGS it is able to calculate the profile in real time and suggest direct routes that would be acceptable to ATC and get us in or out of the wind as required.

The only paper we have now are normal checklist, qrh and OFP. OFP will be moving to the EFB on all fleets shortly

What are you using for load control?

Of course being an American you would say they are the world standard... However many of the airlines in Europe don't use Jeppesen, and when it comes to flight planning they are defiantly a minority.

Well here I think he meant that they are formatted the same way worldwide, which is true, as it is for LIDOs and Aerads as well. Jepps have the "advantage" of being relatively available, as well as well-known within simulator folk. But I consider LIDOs superior to them. Should I order my preference, I would go LIDO is better than Aerad is better than Jepp. AIPs (incl. FAA) are mixed variedly in-between, but of course, lack commoniality if you fly out of the country.

Ronan: shoot me a PM if you wish to get an idea about LIDOs...

The weight saving alone should justify it... I will find the figures from LH later it was quite amazing!

Also we now have a program called Altitools that helps suggest an optimum profile to us en-route.. With significantly more processing power than the FMGS it is able to calculate the profile in real time and suggest direct routes that would be acceptable to ATC and get us in or out of the wind as required.

The only paper we have now are normal checklist, qrh and OFP. OFP will be moving to the EFB on all fleets shortly

What are you using for load control?

So it has up to date traffic information for you? Wow.

Not sure about our load control at all, not even sure if we use the one piece of software, or if it depends on our handling agent. You'd need to ask one of our dispatchers about that, all that I care about is the slip of paper I get handed...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

We use central load control (an in house company) so the handling agent just gets told where to put the stuff... We update the fuel load via ACARS and then the load sheet comes back via ACARS.

No the Altitools does not have live traffic information yet... But it does know all the airspace restrictions etc.. So is able to suggest direct routes that should be available from ATC that can take advantage of winds.

Within LIDO/OC they have various tactical options for dealing with delays etc and manipulating the cost index for various sectors.

This is the program

http://www.pace.de/products/aircraft-performance/pacelab-ci-ops.html

Within LIDO/OC they have various tactical options for dealing with delays etc and manipulating the cost index for various sectors.

Hmph, gone will be the days of; "Ara we'll just fly a bit faster, we're behind schedule" then. Ah well.

That may well be case with our loading, we do our own handling in DUB, and outsource at out stations and destinations. Whether their told what to load from back home, or decide themselves I couldn't tell you, nor could I tell you the software used.

Ró.

The link states that the software is not available on Airbus aircraft yet. I may still get a few more years out of "Ara we'll just fly a bit faster, we're behind schedule"... :wink:

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I think it is being tested.... I came off the Airbus onto the MD....have to see if it is there when I go back!

I think it is being tested.... I came off the Airbus onto the MD....have to see if it is there when I go back!

I see, do you know if it's for the 330 or just the 320/321?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

They will put it on the lot I think.... Our wide body aircraft are being trialled with a "connected" EFB that uses the Internet connection from the cabin.... For updated information en-route

They will put it on the lot I think.... Our wide body aircraft are being trialled with a "connected" EFB that uses the Internet connection from the cabin.... For updated information en-route

We don't have internet on board... :sad: And we certainly won't be seeing it any time soon...

Good to know that we may be able to get it on my 330 in the near future though...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

You know what the best bit is?.........

After a long flight or series of flights... No charts to put away! Oh, and your never missing a chart, or have an outdated / damaged chart.

After a long flight or series of flights... No charts to put away!

Put away charts?!?!!? What do you think my FO is there for? :wink:

He doesn't just sit there idle while I taxi the bird in lol...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg