Sign in to follow this  
matt_gold

A few questions from New Guy

I frequently lose contact with a VOR when I am flying low behind mountains.

I just did some testing and did find some VOR dead zones behind terrain obstructions. I guess I just haven't been low enough in the right (or wrong, I guess) spots before when trying to use certain stations.

Gonna check after work....might have had it set to a VOR frequency by mistake....I am really getting a better handle on all of this. Took me long enough.

I think im on the same level of learning as matt_gold here. Learning a whole lot about flying just from this forum.

I just did some testing and did find some VOR dead zones behind terrain obstructions. I guess I just haven't been low enough in the right (or wrong, I guess) spots before when trying to use certain stations.

Terrain definitely obtructs the signal, the Koko Head beacon is especially difficult to pick up when flying Kauai to Oahu. Increasing altitude and swinging further South helps, but even then you can be flying blind for a while. I normally tune in to it and activate the NAV ID switch - the morse code will alert me as soon as the signal has kicked in.

It's especially fun when doing clandestine missions under 1000'. I tend to follow the "head over that-a-way" approach until I get close enough to pick up the signal.

Terrain definitely obtructs the signal, the Koko Head beacon is especially difficult to pick up when flying Kauai to Oahu. Increasing altitude and swinging further South helps, but even then you can be flying blind for a while. I normally tune in to it and activate the NAV ID switch - the morse code will alert me as soon as the signal has kicked in.

I suspect that's one of the reasons the Victor airways trend southward from Kauai to Oahu, around Barber's Point. I usually fly V-15, unless I"m being "sneaky." If I'm going past Oahu to one of the other islands, I'll take V-16.

The nice thing about flying airways is that the radials are printed right on the map, so I don't have to figure them out. Just%20Kidding.gif

I usually fly V-15, unless I"m being "sneaky." If I'm going past Oahu to one of the other islands, I'll take V-16

What's this ^Robo?

I'm gonna try out that triangulation thing said earlier, however I need to read it 5 more times to understand it completely. Has anyone posted a PDF or something with all runway numbers list, ILS, VOR frequencies so that you don't have to press M to double check?

What's this ^Robo?

Summarizing, more specific details at Wikipedia...

Victor airways are pre-determined routes, depicted as thick faded blue lines on VFR sectional charts. They are essentially "highways in the sky" and are identified by numbers, such as the V-15 and V-16 I mentioned. Victor airways are defined primarily by VORs, and comprise a system of established routes that run along specified VOR radials, hence the beginning letter V.

Here are V-15 and V-16 on the Hawaii sectional, along with their VOR radial.

ox0fa.jpg

You can change airways where they intersect, such as V-16 to V-12, and simply look at the chart to see which radial you should be using.

I've been flying the airways recently, just for variety.

I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of flying Hawaii with the real paper sectional. If you would like to get one, expired copies "For Training/Simulation Purposes Only" are available at http://www.mypilotst...tStore/sep/7089 for just $2.50, although shipping is another $2 per order. I would advise you to hurry, as the new "current" sectionals have deleted the "Old Kona" VOR used in Flight.

Robo you're doing it again, just when I think I have a handle on things you are introducing me to entire fields of knowledge that are totally new to me.

Please keep it up, the support on these forums is incredible. Easily the most civilised, helpful and polite forums I've EVER encountered.

We're like the Anti-YouTube.

Wow, that's easily one of the nicest things I've read here at AVSIM. Thanks!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well I'm being quite serious...I am conditioned by the internet to qualify questions with things like "I know this may sound like a dumb question, but..." etc etc. It's not necessary. I'm realizing that nobody here is interested in passing judgement, nor enforcing an expertise hierarchy, but rather sharing and exploring our mutual passion for aviation (and that's an understatement) and of course, getting the very most out of our latest digital addiction, MS Flight.

We wouldn't be here if we didn't love talking about this kind of stuff.

I'm no aeronautical guru myself, but I'm happy to pass on what I've learned along the way.