Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Some thoughts about In-game updates.

Good thinking scruffy, I agree with your ban.

However I think I am a bit misquoted since I did not suggest anyone should be banned for drifting off topic :Loser:

I like in-game updates. (There... got that out of the way)

Count me in as one of the stunning group, too... aside from a few freeware planes, and freeware scenery of KCOI, my hometown airport... vanilla Gold as well.

I think there's a lot more of us than people on here think.

Yup. I am going to have to retreat from that with singed clothes and hastily gathering some shreds of dignity!! I would have given it a very low probability, but that just goes to show that what one believes and reality do not necessarily correspond. :Monkey:

For me though, if I had only installed fsx with no ad-dons, I suspect I would have been even more susceptible to flights blandishments than I already was, since I would be "giving up" less by going ahead and trying something new.

The way Steam content is added to Flight via "coupon codes" indicates that actual 3PDs may be able to even operate their own store-front for their products, once we get to that point. Buy the content at their website, get a code for Flight. MS handles the actual downloads.

I was thinking about that. If everyone can agree, it could all work out quite well. (If everyone can find a way to agree.......)

But to avoid the current chaotic situation, I would not mind MS retaining overall compatibility and quality control.

And maybe standardized MS installer?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I was kidding about thinking I was going to be banned. I knew he was misquoted.

I just realized this is Scruffyduck, who gave me a wonderful app called Airport Designer. Thanks!

Now back on topic everyone!

I for one had 0 problem accepting flight, love FLIGHT and really think it can only get better. Just wish we knew more about what is going on!

I just realized this is Scruffyduck, who gave me a wonderful app called Airport Designer.

Yes... instead of all the negative posts, folks should be putty their energy into doing things like...

bombarding the Scruffy w/ support questions about Airport Design.

Thinking about it, the way MS set up the system is pretty amazing. Load the game: update is available, say yes......... Done.

Actually that's kind of standard modern practice, and I was glad to see auto-updates available in Xplane. After more thought, I realized that while the flightsim world was lagging a bit, it actually had made some inroads in the area, just nothing with such a seamless combination of updates, purchases and automatic installation. I wonder what the impact would be in the current market if one could peruse products/stores seamlessly from within a given sim, make a purchase, and have it installed just as relatively effortlessly as Flight does now.

My instinct is that it might have a noticeable multiplier effect, and that "impulse purchases" would jump, especially if there were no compatibility issues. (Steam, anyone?)

I wonder how complicated it is to create such a system. Flight1 would probably be closest to pulling it off, I guess. What I know, at least in my own case is that complexity in the purchase and updating/installation process can cause hesitation over new acquisitions, depending on how patient I am feeling that day, and whether the item is a "must have" or "kinda want" for me. I am enough of an enthusiast that on the main, I will "push through" the process to get what I want, but I wonder if the relative complexity of these things doesn't tend to depress sales a bit, most especially in people new to the market.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Actually that's kind of standard modern practice, but the sim world is lagging a bit on that stuff

Actually Steam has been that way for a while, with the flight sims that they offer.

I have purchased two from Steam , not Flight though, and that is pretty much how they work.

I think there is usually a bit of delay between the time the developer issues the update and Steam implements it, but other than that it is pretty neat how it works. Plus they run some really good sales from time to time.

Actually Steam has been that way for a while, with the flight sims that they offer.

I have purchased two from Steam , not Flight though, and that is pretty much how they work.

I think there is usually a bit of delay between the time the developer issues the update and Steam implements it, but other than that it is pretty neat how it works. Plus they run some really good sales from time to time.

There is a game I have (X3 Reunion) that is a sort of spaceflight/battle commerce sim and an absolutely jaw dropping program. (with a learning curve from hell and an update process to match) Keeping up with the various patches, updates, official mods and etc would have made the game an absolute "do not buy" for me despite all the other goodness in the game itself. It was only the ability of steam to keep track of all that craziness and keep the game up to date for me, that pushed me over from the "No" to the "Yes" category.

And a nice sale at the time did not hurt, either. All that is included in what I meant by a multiplier effect. An otherwise outstanding product with some horrifying installation issues that would have made me avoid it was pushed into the category of a buy by the strengths of the Steam sales and update and installation model. I suspect that Flight DLC will benefit handsomely from that same "twitch purchase" effect because Steam (and Live) make it all so easy.

Devons rig

The automatic update idea is fine... when it works. The last update for the aerocaches didn't work on my system. It took some head-scratching and help from the folks on the Steam forum to fix it. It ended up being a weird Vista permissions issue. Strangely, the previous update had worked fine.

The automatic update idea is fine... when it works. The last update for the aerocaches didn't work on my system. It took some head-scratching and help from the folks on the Steam forum to fix it. It ended up being a weird Vista permissions issue. Strangely, the previous update had worked fine.

Vista and Windows 7 permissions are a random Pandoras box. Usually you are pretty safe if you Install you games on another drive.

Devons rig

Vista and Windows 7 permissions are a random Pandoras box. Usually you are pretty safe if you Install you games on another drive.

Great advice - I always install my games on a seperate partition from my system drive.

I also moved my documents folders over to a different partition as well.

I have never had issue with permissions and/or UAC.