Sign in to follow this  
SE-KMG

777´s landing gear can sure take some beating!

Excellent report..

Looking at the pictures of the grass surface, I am sure a major factor for this accident to have zero fatalities is the excellent leveling and grooving of the grass surface at Strauss airport (typical German quality). There are some airports around the world where the grass surface would not tolerate such stunts. The landing gear could have snapped off and then God help them.

It's still not exactly clear though whom to blame for the mishap: the Avro (for delaying its departure), the Boeing autopilot software (for allowing such critical banks to occur that low), the ATC (for allowing such tight clearances while aircraft is conducting auto-land), or the Singapore crew (for the neat work with the rudder pedals)?...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Yes, I read the report. I didnt come up with that assessment just by watching the video. I'm not that good... :P

I don't think anyone is to blame for this incident. There were a variety of factors that contributed.

The close spacing is one of those factors. Another is the crews choice of conducting an autoland in only cat1 conditions. Did they alert atc to a fact they wished to do an autoland?

Another thing is you will notice the aircraft went off the left side and then came back and finished off on the right side. The question I ask here is did the Crew panic and make exercise rudder inputs, and had the inputs been lighter they may not have drifted off the other side.

So. As in most aircraft incidents there was not one factor as the cause. And the Pax and crew were lucky that they only ended up rolling into solid mud.

This gives credence top that old adage, 'Any Landing You Can Walk Away From...........'

Let's just be grateful that it all ended without any loss to life or limb, other than a besmirched engine cowling.

What a thorough typical-Teutonic Report. One of the very best I have read.

Why didn't the SQ 777 have its thrust reversers deploy upon landing???

They were attempting to go around by hitting the TOGA buttons but nothing happened. If they got the reversers out they would have then been committed to staying on the deck. Other things to consider would have been FOD ingestion and damage to the engines and brakes are sufficient to stop an aircraft

Alaister Kay

When you start to slip of the runway, I think the focus is to keep the aircraft on the runway.

Do not know about SQ, but some airlines have in the SOP to not use reverses.