Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerad

World Of AI any good?

I used to have WOAI on my FSX, but I deleted it because it has no moving traffic except for like 5 planes in the entire world. I had my FSX traffic settings up all the way and still no traffic. Is there a special way to make it so I have lines of planes waiting to take off at LAX? I just want some good traffic ya know. Any help thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Probably didnt work correctly because you didnt convert the WOAI flight plans to FSX format. Mixing FS9 traffic files with FSX traffic files usually results in the FS9 WOAI traffic not showing up.

The other reason the WOAI might not have shown is if you had the ground shadows turned on at some payware airports.

I used to have WOAI on my FSX, but I deleted it because it has no moving traffic except for like 5 planes in the entire world. I had my FSX traffic settings up all the way and still no traffic. Is there a special way to make it so I have lines of planes waiting to take off at LAX? I just want some good traffic ya know. Any help thanks.

USE UT2 its awesome :)

WOAI is excellent to use with FSX, but there are some things you need to know to get it to work correctly in FSX without it disrupting any of FSX's native traffic (cars, ships, etc.), and doing this requires a little bit of work on your part.

First, if you're using Vista or Windows7, hopefully you didn't install FSX to the default directory under [Program Files (x86)], and that you created your own installation folder.

As JimBurke pointed out, traffic in FS9 and FSX uses .bgl format but for each sim they are formatted differently. WOAI .bgl files are primarily compiled for use in FS9, but it can be recompiled into a .bgl format for FSX. For that you need a handy tool called AIFPC (http://aifs2.pvdveen.net/?p=145). Note, however, that most packages from WOAI come with an installer that gives the user the option of compiling for either FS9 or FSX. AIFPC is handy if you're installing traffic from HTAI (http://htai-models.com/projects.html), Miltary AI Works (http://www.militaryaiworks.com/), or UltimateGA (http://www.ultimatega.com/).

Secondly, you'll want to install any non-Ultimate Traffic II and non-default FSX traffic models (in other words, any traffic you download and install yourself) into newly created folders in the [simObjects] directory. How you create the folders is up to you but I left an example of my [simObjects] directory below:

In my C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects installation are the folders:

> AIBizJets

> AICargoAirliners

> AIGeneralAviation

> AIMilitary

> AIPaxAirliners

> Airplanes

> Boats

> GroundVehicles

> Misc

> Rotorcraft

> UT2 Aircraft

The bolded folders are those I created to install the appropriate AI traffic models. The UT2 folder is the Ultimate Traffic 2 folder that self-installs when you first install the product. I used five different folders because of the huge numbers of different AI traffic packages I use for each category, and it's just easier and more organized to separate them that way, instead of just chucking them all into one gigantic folder.

(UT2, by the way, is a highly recommended product if yo don't already have it. The only "problems" - so to speak - with UT2 is that it comes only with commercial traffic, no military traffic at all, and that the commercial traffic roster, though vast, is somewhat incomplete. Virgin America in the western U.S. with it's little Airbuses is an excellent example, and I installed the WOAI Virgin America package into FSX to fill that gap. The second "problem" with UT2 is that, though it generates GA traffic, it uses default FSX GA traffic for that purpose (all the C172s, Mooneys, Maules, Learjets, etc. that we are all so familiar with by now). WOAI, HTAI, Military AI Works, and UltimateGA are excellent alternatives for creating hugely varied GA and military traffic in FSX, and is vigorously recommended.)

Next, you'll need to manually register those new folders you created in your fsx.GFG, located at C:\Users\...your user name...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (for Windows7). Another example below:

Under the [Main] section in my fsx.CFG:

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\AIBizjets

SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\AICargoAirliners

SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\AIGeneralAviation

SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\AIMilitary

SimObjectPaths.11=SimObjects\AIPaxAirliners

Maximized=1

Location=641,1,1681,779,\\.\DISPLAY1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

ProcSpeed=11809

PerfBucket=7

The bolded text are the ones I manually added. Again, the SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft line is added when you install UT2.

To answer your first question, WOAI is excellent! So are HTAI, Miltary AI Works, and UltiamteGA, as well as Ultimate Traffic 2.