Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Going to order new components over the next few months, opinions?

Hey gang,

I plan on doing a new build later on in the year. Rather than waiting and getting everything all at once, with the sticker shock, I thought I might start ordering some components in the meantime to gradually acquire all I would need for my new build. I will be coming from an X58 chipset system, with an I7 920 processor running at 4 ghz.

From all I have read, it sounds like the verdict is still out on the newer Ivey Bridge chips.

So, I am thinking I maybe should plan on going ahead with a Sandy Bridge build at first, get a motherboard that supports both it and the newer Ivey Bridge, in case I want to update to it down the road.

I believe if I understand correctly, the Z77 chipset motherboard would be the one to get for this?

I am a long time fan of EVGA motherboards and video cards, I am condsidering going with EVGA on this one, but am a little concerned in some issue I have read on their forums with some of the other boards. Mty X58 FTW has been great. EVGA is about to release their Z77 FTW board.

Or maybe I should consider more say the Asus Sabertooth? It has been many years since I have had an Asus board.

I just recently got an EVGA GTX 560 Ti 2gb vid card, so will probaby stay with that for a while. The rest of the build, I would plan on having everything together and ready to go around Oct-Nov time frame.

Also should I seriously consider SSD's at this time? I have been pretty happy with my 7200 rpm hard drives, not sure it is at the point I want to go that route yet.

While I do enjoy and will still fly FSX, I use my system for more than that as well, all flight sims - like IL2 CLOD, DCS Black Shark, DCS A10C, MS Flight.

Any thought would certainly be appreciated, thanks,

I am in the same boat as you.

I ordered the following and I just got it

1) Asus Z77 P8Z77- V = $199

2) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $40 or so

3) Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache = $120

4) SAMSUNG 830 Series SSD 256Gb = $289 (Today I see the price listed at $420 at newegg WOW!)

5) G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)= $99

6) CASE Full tower 932 HAF advanced

7) 950W PSU PC Power & cooling

8) Temporary Video card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 2048 MB(For my old PC. and its performing worse than my old GTX8800 that got burned out)

So I am still indecisive on the CPU.

Plan to eventually get a good 6xx Video card for multi monitor setup.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

So I am still indecisive on the CPU.

I'd wait for some more results from other users about IB before you make a final decision.

Thanks for the feedback,

I think I will go ahead and plan on at least getting the motherboard here in the near future, best I can tell the Z77 should be a good chipset to get... I may hold out for the EVFA Z77 FTW to be released, my last 4 motherboards have been EVGA and they all have served me very well - but I know Asus is pretty popular with many here as well.

Since I am going to be accumulating hardware over the next few months, I can always get the cpu last, and then see what kind of results IB is giving I guess.

So what's the deal with say the X79 and socket 2011 processors - are they a lot better?