Sign in to follow this  
jp1018

Is Alaska next?

I have been flying the MS Flight Maule for over 2 years now. Daddy needs a new ride.

LOL yea, that I can imagine... :wink:

$50 aussie for Alaska with two new VC ac = sold!

$50 aussie for Alaska, period, sold... although I of course hope they throw in a nice plane. :wink:

As I said, I like the Maule and the RV, and I think I can have a lot of fun in Alaska even if I was limited to those two planes

At least one new aircraft required for cover range between Hawaii and Alaska. Do you like "Clandestine cargo" missions? :smile:

At least one new aircraft required for cover range between Hawaii and Alaska.

Not interested. :wink: Even if I had the plane to cover that range I wouldn't fly it. The idea alone... boring. I like my flights short. :wink:

LOL A clandestine job from Hawaii to Alaska and then getting caught a few minutes before touchdown... Yikes! :wink:

Welcome to the forum btw!

and then getting caught a few minutes before touchdown

Adrenalin! Yeah! Just%20Kidding.gif

But MS able to add working AP or several checkpoints for long-distance flights into game

I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. I always liked the three-sided Aristotelian logic. ;)

:blush: I thought it was a reference to the book, The Mote In Gods Eye.

LOL A clandestine job from Hawaii to Alaska and then getting caught a few minutes before touchdown... Yikes!

More likely some kid having fun would ram you on final. :LMAO:

$50 aussie for Alaska with two new VC ac = sold!

As I mentioned earlier, Its a value for money thing. Whether I am willing to nab Alaska at a higher than Hawaii price-point is dependent on what is being offered. MS cant just sit on its laurels: the bar has to be raised even if only a little, because if they can't/won't address even tiny, obvious things people have commented on, then how can we believe they will ever get to any big things before we are old and grey?

My support for flight is based on my belief in its ability to improve, not just to grow.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

:blush: I thought it was a reference to the book, The Mote In Gods Eye.

And to the sequel "The Gripping Hand."

The Mote is one of my favorite books. The sequel isn't quite as good, I thought, but well worth reading if you liked the first. Jerry's daughter recently wrote a follow-on to those two, which looks like it will pursue some loose ends on a couple of the secondary plots. Bought it but haven't read it yet.

I was thinking last night about how they were going to add just Alaska to the map. Certainly it won't be an island, so when you get to the edge of it on the Canadian side, what do you think will be there? Will you be able to run over detailed (or non) terrain with nowhere to fuel up and no runways until you run out of fuel? And the same for Russia on the other side. They would have to do a lot of extra work to keep the "immersion" if they care about such a thing by filling out a tremendous amount of extra scenery, but if you're going to do all that, then why not just make the entire world.

In that interview the guy said they did not plan on making the whole world, so it seems any area that isn't an island would have to have some kind of boundry, if nothing more than endless water. But how do you do that with a landmass that stretches unbroken to the tip of South America... Also, if it's on the same map as Hawaii, they couldn't include a plane that could travel that far, because it would also be able to go nearly halfway across the world in any direction, and if they didn't make Alaska an island, what would you see, unless they made all that land?

The simple solution it seems, imo, would be to *not* have Alaska and Hawaii on the same map, but two seperate maps. You wouldn't be able to go from one to the other, there would be no need to include a plane that could make the distance, and you would only need scenery for a relatively small area around Alaska itself. You could also just have the state all by itself on the map, limiting the flyable area except for those that just strike out in any direction, which is likely not more than a handful. You would probably select Alaska or Hawaii from a drop down menu or something.

Just throwing thoughts out there, I'd really like to know what to expect ahead of time.

I expect the area past the "boundary" to be extremely low rez terrain, like the rest of the islands are if you haven't bought the HI pack.

You can already fly off the map to see untextured terrain with a super-low-resolution mesh (there have been expeditions to find French Frigate Shoals, Johnston Atoll and even Midway Island).

There is already a plane that (in theory) can make it from from Hawaii to Alaska. Based on documented range-performance with the Maule and the Corsair's stats in the Market, leaned out at high altitude, the F4U should be able to stretch it's range to reach the Aleutians.

In beta (or so I'm told), the Map zoomed all the way out far enough to see California.

So, I believe that the way to bet is that there will be one Map that can be zoomed out to see the globe. There may also be a menu selection listing your purchased scenery areas (for quick access, or for the geographically challenged I guess), but I anticipate a single Map.

Yes, Flight is based in a complete sphearical map and in the beta you could zoom out to see the ENTIRE GLOBE. You could, with enough time and fuel, fly around the world. You just wont have any place to land as there are no city's or airports and the land is super low rez. So yes, MS did give us the "entire world". Its just not worth visiting yet ;)

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I read about the excursions you guys made to see what was out there, looked like a big dark blue square or something. At the time I thought well that's cool, they'll just keep building the terrain a little at a time. But then I pictured seeing that as Canada or Russia and thought, surely not... lol. My seperate maps for each land pack theory came up simply from me not wanting to see that when I got near the edge of Alaska.

Haha on the Russian side, maybe they will have border patrol and you'll "fail" a flight by going into their airspace.

Rise of Flight solved the "out of bounds" problem by the simple expedient of territory becoming a featureless plain beyond a certain point. Modern combat games on consoles will often flash a "leaving combat area" sign of some sort at you, after which you will fail the mission "court-martialed" if you continue. Alternately, some games make your plane automatically turn around, or ram you against an impenetrable invisible wall.

I even remember at least one game where if you went too far, you reentered the game world from the opposite side. (the asteroids solution)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I even remember at least one game where if you went too far, you reentered the game world from the opposite side. (the asteroids solution)

That would be freaky, imagine setting your AP, heading to the kitchen for a drink and coming back to where you started, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

That could very well happen in Flight! It would just take a LOT of fuel, and a REALLY REALLY long trip to the kitchen!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer