Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

How to make ATC Work

Hi Guys,

I started trialling MCE, with not so good results so far.

It seems I ONLY have co-pilot and not ATC. Every time I give an ATC command that does work, it's only via the co-pilot saying it.

I'm holding down my ATC joystick button while I talk ATC. Also even tried holding down the DEL key. Both these options are checked in the options.

I've looked at the documents and the phrases aren't working for me. For example I can't find a way to "Acknowledge" hold short of runway 1. I've tried Roger, Acknowledge, OK, repeating back, with and without call sign.

To further compound my problem - my co pilot tries to take instructions from me when I'm talking to ATC which is very annoying. Shouldn't he be ignoring what I say when the ATC button is held down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can see the huge potential of this program and WANT to make it work. However ATC is the primary reason I want it more than the co-pilot ability.. so this is critical.

BACKGROUND of my setup:

What I have done:

-all the setup options as per instructions pdf

-Mic calibration

-MS voice training

-Set a joystick button and delete key for ATC in options

Also note I run Ultimate traffic 2 if it makes any difference, plus I have FS2Crew (but using MCE for non-fs2crew planes).

I do NOT run Vox or RadarContact, only default ATC with MCE.

The plane I am using for testing is the Captain sim 707.

Thanks Dick, I'll check that link but I'd like to try the co pilot too for the B707 and B727.

I found the joystick button thing for some reason it didn't like it the first time I ran FSX. But after that and I reassigned the joystick button to be button 2 instead of button 26. Now both joystick button and delete work and he ignores me when I talk to atc thankfully :) I swore at him a few times..

I've got ATC responding to some of my queries, and I've found the "custom" voice training option in the tools. So I'm adding individual lines it has trouble with. The hardest one to make it understand seems to be the acknowledgement, or readback. I found the great PDF chart and need some training to make the phrases work but it's getting there.

Maybe it doesn't work so well with Australian accent, I did let it select US english though not british because british would have different spelling which would probably break it.

Is it like the MS training tool says? Recognition gets better the more you use it?

Or do we have to specifically train it with the training tool more and more?

Hi Taipan,

I am also in Oz and dont have much trouble with the voice recognition.

Try the specific voice training provided, they are very good, and also the support from FS++ is second to none, make sure you use it if you are having a few issues.

I have been using MCE for copilot exclusively, and only a couple of days ago i tested the atc interaction feature with default fsx.

I liked being able to say "you handle the radios" and watch it work its magic!

Hi WR

That's good to know it works ok with Aussie accents :)

I've already completed all the specific training but might need to do some custom text files and train more and more.

I can see the potential in this so would like it to work better