Does Vatsim make any effort to keep hubs manned? I know they place a lot of controls on training. Just wondering if they also put controls on providing a level of service at particular airports.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

What do you mean by Hubs? Controllers will normally staff the busiest airspace that they are qualified for that is available. This probably ends up being major airline hubs, but the thought process is to get the busier airports staffed with no consideration going into hubs.

There also aren't 'controls' with this. With the exception of an advertised major event, controllers show up and work whichever position they want, whenever the want. The only controls put in place have to do with the controller's level of training.

When a controller staffs up, is no different than when you decide to do a flight. They decided they are bored, decide to control, look to see if there's any traffic, pick their favorite position thats available, and log on.

The busier ARTCC/FIRs will have a scheduling system in place to help keep it organized, but that shouldn't be confused with a staff member telling controllers when and where to control.

Only during major events does the ARTCC staff handle staffing. We will look at what the event is and come up with a schedule based on where/when we anticipate traffic.

Hope that answers your question

Noah Bryant

It does, thanks. Yes, when i mentioned 'hubs' I was talking about the busier metropolitan airports...the center of the spokes, so to speak. I was just sitting here thinking. I've got to make a decision about which way to go with my ATC. I'd rather do it with real people (enthusiasts) than software. I just find it hard to find any consistency with Vatsim. Maybe that's the nature of their 'business'...as you say, someone gets bored and go do ATC. Makes sense since it is supposed to be fun, first and foremost.

That being said, if some 'level-of-service' philosophy was promoted then controllers might give it some thought. "Hey, I wonder if anyone is manning KDEN? No? I should take that." I think that if pilots had some expectation that some of the airports were consistently manned, the controllers would see a bump in traffic around that airport which would go a long way toward making the experience real. Knowing ATC procedures is one thing...having a real workload at a busy airport--quite another. My own experience is to find a larger airport with a controller working at it. Honestly, I've done it twice and both times the controller left before I got off the ground. (Takes minimum 15 minutes to prep my aircraft not counting flight planning time which I have to do after I figure out an airport.) So, you do all that prep work only to have to flip over to another method of ATC. *Sigh*

I understand that it's a hobby for ATC...and, yes, absolutely it should be!! But if they want a good amount of traffic to aggregate around and make it more fun then, if they might (somewhat) work together to build traffic around airports of their choosing it might be worth the while. I've known a lot of ATCers that knew all the procedures but begged for traffic to make it more interesting and a challenge. Lots of water-cooler discussions...drinks after a long day talking about all the events and how they were handled. (I was a military controller for a long time and have tons of memories and stories.)

Anyway. Maybe I was missing something when I started planning my flight...some other useful source of information that would make our respective hobbies mesh. I'd even schedule my flying to suit a controller or, if I knew one wanted some traffic, I'd be happy to go up and beat up a pattern. Trouble is, I don't know any of that. I'm new to Vatsim so maybe I have some learning to do.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Chasing ATC online can be frustrating as you have mentioned. Best way to nearly guarantee you will have service is to fly into or out of a planned event. You can learn when the event is to happen on the web page. Events are good also because many controllers and pilots participate. Another option is to fly online and use radar contact or default ATC if no real controllers are there but if one appears you can switch to having service. Lastly there is a pay for online ATC service which does have specific hours. Flying online is great fun, I encourage everyone who hasn't to try it.

Another option is to fly online and use radar contact or default ATC if no real controllers are there but if one appears you can switch to having service. Lastly there is a pay for online ATC service which does have specific hours. Flying online is great fun, I encourage everyone who hasn't to try it.

Yeah, I'm having to consider all that. I've been looking at Radar Contact, VoxATC and MCE. If I can figure out Vatsim I'd rather do that...help other enthusiasts and, also, connect with other pilots. I spoze Unicom is better than nothing. Not much on the pay thing...I get it but who am I helping other than myself? I just as soon use software. As a former tower controller, I can say that, real world, it's fun as h*ll when you get busy. They want us to fly...we want them to control...we all want to have fun, be challenged, learn from each other and be involved. Seems like with all the folks, there's gonna be a way.

A side note, I went over to http://laartcc.org and poked around. A lot of interesting stuff. They have 'busy' times published and seem to have a schedule of some sorts. That's something. Maybe some tuning and we'd sync up. I'm not looking for perfect controllers and I don't think they're looking for perfect pilots...just a level of practical sense on both sides. It's flight sim and we want it to be real but a mistake is not so critical that a reset button or a "so that didn't work out so good" can't fix. Lots of opportunities for do overs. In RW, we used to ask pilots to fly some closed traffic for proficiency and they'd, generally, be happy to oblige. We'd even ask them to simulate emergencies for training. Lots of possibilities. I, for one, would be happy to annoy them if they want :).

Gregg Seipp

Former USMC Controller here too. When I first got into VATSIM, it was SATCO back then, I started with the ATC Side. I started with ZJX because it was the area I controlled in real life (KNBC) and it was what I knew. After a few years and when they finally got voice working, I started flying. "won" my first copy of FS2002 from a poker run in ZJX airspace, and from there it was on. :)

Coming from a pilot perspective, I'd do the same thing. There are tools available as well to see what areas are "busy" and fly to them. But it's still going to be a comfort level of what you want to do. If anything, just fall back on what YOU know, from real life, and you cant go wrong. :)

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

I was at four different airports. Started out with mostly helicopters (very interesting), then to a SAC base with B52s and KC135s beating up the patterns (even VFR closed traffic), lots and lots of transient traffic. Then a fighter base with F16's and F5s (poor visibility...scary). Finally, to a mixed use airport with A10s on the military side and civilian (B737, E120, and commuter turboprops) on the other. All were interesting and had their own challenges. I loved it when we got busy.

Gregg Seipp

grins I hear ya! :) KNBC was all Hornet traffic, well home-based anyway, we always had the C-5's and C-141's and then the C17's from KCHS coming down to play; their long runway was closed for a time while I was in, so they came down to KNBC to practice at ours. :) Some helos from KSVN way, and that was about it. But the 6 (at the time) Hornet squadrons kept us busy

We also had a C-12 "squadron" there, but it was only 2 or 3 planes tops. Mainly for the brass to use.

And the now decomissioned SAR HH46's; one of which is still "floating" or sinking by now 50NM off the coast of SC. :) That was an interesting day too. lol But yeah, I LOVED when it was busy.

John Binner, MCDST

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

LOL...I remember the first time I saw a C5. We got the handoff from approach, he was 15 miles out or so. After a few moments I saw him. He looked 5 miles out. I called approach and he said the guy was still 12 miles away. I just stared. He landed on a 5125' runway. Blew the runway light covers off the next day when he left.

Gregg Seipp

oh man, ALL those damn cargos from Charleston would ALWAYS land too short, and set out arrestor gear out of battery. lol Rwy 5 / 23 is setup with FCLO lights and traps....every frigging time We'd tell them to land PAST the arrestor....I swear they did it on purpose. lol

John Binner, MCDST

Vatsim controlling is a combination of "build it and they will come" and your location. You can be online 24/7 at a small airport and not see much traffic but just a few hours at a major airport and you will see pilots popping up all over the place. I think the best thing to do is pick an area you are interested in working (most people tend to pick places close to where they live, or used to live) and then log on regularly to build up some traffic. Once you work up to CTR you will find that logging in gets you lots of traffic. Good luck.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Oh...I'm not doing ATC...thought about it only to help other pilots and, perhaps, to generate interest. I'm a pilot. RW PA28, C182...a few others. In the sim world I fly C182 and J41. In fact, I learned the J41 so I would be able to be of more interest and be able to fly the SIDs and STARS at the bigger airports. Hasn't worked out so well yet but I'm hopeful.

Gregg Seipp

Update: I have noticed that the controllers at SEA tend to be fairly active. Took a flight with them today and enjoyed it immensely!

Gregg Seipp

If you are looking for ATC Monday night:

imageCZQMMondays.jpg

• Just had that hard day at work?

• Does the Monday Night Football game feature two lousy teams?

• Do you want a great ATC filled event?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then come fly in the Moncton/Gander FIR's weekly event, Moncton Mondays on the VATSIM network! Each Monday, several airports including Halifax (CYHZ) & Moncton (CYQM) will be staffed within the FIR from top to bottom along with Moncton Center to provide you with a fun and laid back Monday event.

All kinds of traffic are welcome and pilots of all skill levels are invited.

http://MonctonFIR.com

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1