Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Fsgenesis in trouble

Bought the complete USA 10m Mesh just a few weeks ago to enhance the growing MSE 2 collection. My old account going back to FS2002 was still there, much to my surprise. Never got on the Galaxy bandwaggon.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I recently bought all his catalogue for FSX and then snapped up a yearly subscription and would buy any new products.

If he produced for x-plane as well then am sure there is a market there too as I can say the mash makes such a difference it's awesome, the world starts to look like a world.

Currently the domain and server is moving but I would say to anyone looking at FTX Global that 3rd party terrain products like Genesis is the way to go.

Hey joe thanks.

Well its my birthday in 3 days so hopefully the wife takes pity on me (and justin) and gives me money, my mum should be giving me money too, sp hopefull that should cover it.

Someone did say to me the other day about the global beimg free but still better than default.

Ps i blame all the typos on my rubbish phone which i should really get a new one, but a new phone will not make fs look any better.

Thanks

Edited by flyingnoob

FSGenesis is alive and well, just received an e-mail from Justin today

I am betting that the e-mail was inviting you to buy, not offering any other kind of service or support for existing faulty products.

I get that the site is still open and selling meshes, but has justin ever replied publicly about the state of these "affairs"

Anyone on the FSGenesis mailing list used to be bombarded by pleas from Justin for donations to help him through his personal crises.  These have finally stopped, but he is now seeking customers for a new 'venture' where he will produce mesh for an airfield of your choice - you have to pay a 50% deposit and the balance when/if he produces the goods.

However, try to get any support for errors in his existing meshes and he becomes very elusive.  His forums have become unavailable and he does not respond to e-mails.  I have outstanding issues with faults in his mesh for Ireland which he promised to look into back in March.  Since then he has ignored all future communication despite the fact that I have notified him of a second error in the same product.

High quality mesh adds to the realism of FSX, but trenches and spikes rather shatter the illusion here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate ......

This spike is higher than 20,000 feet:

image.jpg

This trench extends for hundreds of miles:

image.jpg

I cannot believe that anyone would try to continue in business if they are unwilling to support products that they have sold with such glaring faults, let alone start a new venture of a similar nature.

I will never give Justin Thyme another penny of my money, and I urge you to use exreme caution if you do.

Dave.

I've never noticed any significant problems with any FSGenesis meshes I use, sure there might me errors like that somewhere (because of errors in source data), however as far as I know they are very rare as I have pretty much all FSgenesis stuff for fsx installed, yet I have never seen those or any other bugs with the meshes. 

I honestly don't think any mesh product out there is flawless or any better than what FsGenesis makes, after all they are all using same source data and I doubt it's really possible to spot all the flaws like this while making the product. 

sure there might me errors like that somewhere (because of errors in source data)

These errors were not in the original source data, they were not present in Version 1.0 of the NextMap Ireland mesh.

They were (inadvertently) introduced in Version 1.1 which, (according to the readme) "reworked the peak of Carrauntoohil to better conform to the real world"

This is a case of poor workmanship,  Carrauntoohi is not even close to either of these locations.

Dave.

If there is no support then that puts me right off buying it, full stop, if he had a forum that no longer exists then that puts me even more off.

I do expect minor anomalies, maybe yours (dave) are a very rare occurence but that would.put me off also, so for me its not looking good at all.

I also do not mean this is any bad way at all, "justin thyme" may be his real name, but i may have saved myself 70 dollars "just in time"

does justin ever come on these forums?

Edited by flyingnoob

They do have support email and I've received support from FSGenesis when I accidentally bought FS9 version instead of FSX, got it changed to right version quickly and with no extra cost even. 

...I doubt it's really possible to spot all the flaws like this while making the product...

That's not unreasonable but it is possible to correct them after they've been pointed out to the developer.

Justin has placed himself into a business model that had a dead end. A quick buck but no long term cash-flow. However, he does have a lot of data that could be of benefit to people who are not aware of the value of high resolution terrain elevations. Sombody needs to make a judgement on the marketability of that data. If he hooks up with a company that knows how to market (explain the value) mesh, and does so with a rational  business model, then he may stay out of the unemloyment queue.

There is some light for a revived need for good terrain elevations. One is the new Prepare3D product from Lockheed. The other is the new Orbx global landclass product. The global landclass product from Orbx will use their top notch landclass textures. People will "fly" to new areas just because they now look better than standard landclass. They will quickly realize that those areas usually have the standard lo-res FSX elevations and look plain "lumpy". If I were Justin I would market his products as a "much needed improvement" to the new Orbx product.The same can be said for P3D where the ver 1.4 is visually superior to FSX and ver 2.0 "should" give us a big step above the current FSX.

The point is that many people do not realize that better mesh is available, or do not even know they need it. Grab the coat-tails of new products and sell to them with styled packages.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi,

I am looking for better mesh for europe that IS compatible with utx and gex, i know fsscene is not, and i do not know of orbx europe.

I pretty much only fly in europe so where does that leave me?

I do not want photo scenery, as i do not want a flat looking sim, i like autogen, even tho the majority of it isnt accurate.

Afaik orbx will replace my utx and gex.

Regards

Fsgenesis is compatible with UTX and GEX. Fscene really isn't a mesh as far as I know but rather a texture replacement like GEX. 

Sorry yh i meant to add i know genesis is fully compatible, and by the looks of it, its my only choice, if i choose to get it.

Thanks