Sign in to follow this  
oneproudaussie

NGX Fuel planning

Hey guys,

Long time simmer, and i more enjoy the planning stage rather than the flying itself, calculating wind components and so on..

On the 747, there was a few pages in the manuals that gave step by step instructions on how to calculate fuel usage and time on route, along with charts showing FL v distance which gave a fuel usage and time on route, is this in the 737NGX manual? i have been searching for it but cant find it, if not where can i find something similar to this

Thanks in advance

Kane

I was worried about this same thing until tutorial #2 was released. Every info you need in that tutorial. I think Fuel planning starts from around page 32 if I remember correctly (0.00.32). There is a simple and a detailed way (which I believe is what you're looking for)

Cheers

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

The Tutorial 2 method is the way to do it. Just enter your route, weights, and winds into the FMS and the fuel values from the PROG page will be golden. You can calculate the reserves and extra fuel from the Tutorial as well. In fact I made a little interactive Excel spreadsheet for fuel planning. It is for the -800 variant NON-ETOPS. Currently I have only made this version for pounds, but I plan to make one for kilograms soon.

Here is the download link: https://dl.dropbox.c...l Lbs.xlsx?dl=1

It isn't perfect, but it works for me. Just enter your data into the cells highlighted in bold in the second column. I have it set up for a flight already, but you need to adjust the values to make it work for your flight.

Ironically... I have made a similar chart... haha..

But I still just picked up TopCat + FSBuild to get loadsheets & runway analysis.

Now I just need to learn how to use them.

Image11.png

Benjamin Van Eps

Thanks heaps for the reply's :)

And great spread sheets you have both made, im more into the old pen and paper calculations but will keep them in the back of my mind :)

A little disappointing there is no tutorial of determining winds and charts showing fuel usage for distances, optimal flight levels and so on,

Part of my 'simming' is to do it like they do in real life, with all the 'real life' aspects PMDG have gone into, i would love for one of the members to make a more in depth

tutorial of flight planning by hand :) like the 747 had, just more in depth and realistic.

Thanks again

Well in real life they aren't doing it with the charts either. They are using dispatch programs. I find it incredibly unrealistic to be using the plane's FMC to calculate my fuel for me so I use something else.

Noah Bryant

I find it incredibly unrealistic to be using the plane's FMC to calculate my fuel for me so I use something else.

Couldnt agree more !

Guest dlrk

Couldnt agree more !

Well in real life they aren't doing it with the charts either. They are using dispatch programs. I find it incredibly unrealistic to be using the plane's FMC to calculate my fuel for me so I use something else.

Yes!

Despite it being "unrealistic," it is very accurate to use data from the NGX FMS, and I would think that in regards to fuel planning accuracy trumps "realism." Whatever floats your boat, but the figures in the FMC account for winds, the route, cruise altitude, and the weights for that specific flight. You can't go wrong with that kind of data.

I use all those same factors (plus CI) and it's just as accurate

Noah Bryant

Okay thanks for the feedback guys,

I really loved the idea of manually working it out with the 747 as that tutorial showed and that was my favourite part

I guess i will have to settle for technology.

Thanks again