Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

Vatsim questions

I'm not sure I fully understand how Vatsim works, I haven't used it yet but would like to.

I was considering using it to add something to my simming (i.e. real controllers) but I noticed people are turning AI off totally and turning off FSX ATC. I only want it to "add" something to my simming and not take anything away, I want to have my cake and eat it too :)

Since only a small number of airports have controllers and a small number of planes on vatsim compared to the real world I was hoping to run on Vatsim with my existing setup and ai etc.

Can you run Vatsim at the same time as an AI plane package?

Can you run Vatsim with ATC turned on and radar contact etc for the times when there are no real controllers avaiable?

Also it seems very IFR oriented, is it worth using Vatsim if flying VFR and GA flights? Or best to stay offline?

Is it possible to learn new aircraft while on Vatsim or do the controllers have short patience and prefer you to only fly the planes you know when online? I spend most of my time learning new planes because I get bored quickly flying the same thing :)

Any downsides to using Vatsim?

If it's all positive, I'll go through all the stuff and set it up

Thanks

Can you run Vatsim at the same time as an AI plane package?

You can, but you have to remember that nobody will see your AI planes but you, controllers wont issue any vectors to get you around any AI traffic you might have running etc.

Can you run Vatsim with ATC turned on and radar contact etc for the times when there are no real controllers avaiable?

Absolutely, you just have to keep one of your radios tuned in to 122.8 (the frequency used when flying in non controlled airspace on vatsim)

Also it seems very IFR oriented, is it worth using Vatsim if flying VFR and GA flights? Or best to stay offline?

You are welcome to fly VFR on VATSIM :)

Is it possible to learn new aircraft while on Vatsim or do the controllers have short patience and prefer you to only fly the planes you know when online? I spend most of my time learning new planes because I get bored quickly flying the same thing :)

You are expected to be able to control your plane and follow any instructions from ATC. If your level of knowledge in regards to the plane you are flying is lower than that then you should fly offline. If you are capable of controlling your plane, and following any instructions that ATC might issue to you then you can fly online, even with a fairly unknown airframe.

As for downsides, hop online and see for yourself. Just remember to read up on what is expected from you as a pilot on vatsim. The pilot resource center is a good place to look for those expectations

http://www.vatsim.net/prc/

VATSIM = Virtual Air Traffic Simulation network. If you log on Vatsim and still have default FSX atc plus ai planes, you will have conflicts.

You either use one or the other, most commonly referred to as flying "online" or "offline".

Online is VATSIM / IVAO / etc

Offline is default FSX ATC, VOXATC, Radar Contact, and programs that simulate traffic such as MyTraffic, Ultimate Traffic, World of AI, etc.

If you really really wanted to you could be on vatsim and have AI traffic enabled but they wouldn't be controlled by Vatsim controllers, and they won't interact with other player aircraft.

The two don't mix well at all.

It sounds like you're just wanting VATSIM to be a new toy to add into your flying. If that's what you want, it probably isn't for you.

But perhaps the reason you get bored with planes is because you're not using VATSIM. Using VATSIM, for many, is a sim-changing experience. VATSIM is far superior to RC or default ATC as long as what you want is realism.

VATSIM uses real people, who are using the real procedures, regulations, phraseology to give you an experience that, from a procedures and communication standpoint, are real.

VATSIM takes FS to a completely different level, and if the idea is appealing to you, you will find there is a whole lot to learn from proper communications, navigation, procedures etc.

I agree that a plane gets boring once you get good at it, but VATSIM fills that intellectual void that most simmers crave. Unlike the artificial ATC you are using, VATSIM is real. You know the other planes around you are actual people. The controllers are real people. You know that what that controller is telling you to do, and they way he tells you to do it, is exactly the same thing that it would happen in the real world.

The reason there isn't much VFR on VATSIM is because most pilots dont want to fly VFR or they don't know how. The controllers certainly accommodate you.

Noah Bryant

If you fly in class E airspace in VMC and file a not too spesific VFR plan and don't request flight following you can put her down in any field or street you'd like and buzz around at will and the controllers won't mind at all.

But having contact with ATC is half the fun with Vatsim so I think that's why people tend to fly more IFR flights there, why bother logging on to Vatsim at all if you don't want to interact?

I do fly VFR from time to time .Even though I'm way below and outside most of the action I still like both the feeling of being part of a community and freedom to move around (almost) at will.

Thanks guys

I think I'll dump the offline ATC when I connect, but I'll keep the traffic.

Ultimate traffic has an option to clear the AI I can use on approach. Also I must turn off collisions!

Depends how busy it is, but I fly in Australia and NZ so I don't imagine much Vatsim activity here.

Another question - do controllers move around to where they see flight plans and planes? So if there is no controller at my planned flight route that day, do I still have a chance of getting one by the time I land?

Controllers are certified for their positions so typically they won't go following you around. Especially if you're just one guy. Nights/weekends in the area that you're flying is typically the best time for traffic and ATC. I've never flown down there on VATSIM so I can't comment on how much traffic/ATC there is.

Noah Bryant

Just wanted to clarify something for you as regards AI traffic.

Once you are connected to the Network the AI aircraft are only used to represent another user's aircraft. Automated flights which are generated by FSX or any

other AI third party addon are automatically disabled upon connection to the Network. However the AI aircraft in your folder will be used by the Network clients

(FSInn & SB4) to display other user's aircraft in the correct aircraft type and livery.

Example: you are flying say a PMDG 737-700 American Airlines and somewhere in the sky there is another pilot flying in the opposite direction on a 767-300 UPS.

If you have in your aircraft folder, a 767-300 with UPS livery, the Vatsim client will identify that specific livery and use it to display the incoming aircraft correctly.

If however you don't have that specific aircraft & livery the Network client will substitute it with that of another 767-300 either in one of the Clients AI libraries

or from your own installed AI.

Once you fly online and become proficient, I'm certain you will not want to fly offline very often.

Ahh so the traffic gets disabled, even if it's UT2 doing XML injection. I'll have to try it.

It all sounds very good, my only concern is a lack of traffic. At the moment I run 80% traffic with UT2 and the big airports are just amazing with all the activity.

I'll have to checkout the events that may give more traffic.