Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Window heat "ON" lights won't stay on

I'm pretty sure that if the window heat didn't cycle on and off on the ground during a 90 degree day the window would overheat.

I'm pretty sure that if the window heat didn't cycle on and off on the ground during a 90 degree day the window would overheat.

Yeah it would, window could even break

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Yeah it would, window could even break

And they do, I've seen pics of shattered windshields after overheating and the only thing that saved the day was the multiple layers of lamination.

Ok I finally got some good info on this. We were in Orlando where it was nice and sunny and hot. The R2 window was almost perfectly facing the sun and it was alredy hot enough that it didn't cycle on when I tunred the window heat on. The R1 window initally was on but then cycled off after a bit. It was at more of an angle to the sun. the TAT was 32C right then. When we started taxiing out the right side of the plane was on the shady side and the R1 widow heat cycled back on but R2 stayed off. We ended up holding short of the runway for several minutes facing into the sun. The R1 heat cycled off again and stayed off for about 2 minutes then came back on. The R2 stayed off and the TAT was 33C. I checked the ON indidcatinons several times during takeoff and climb out. The R2 heat cycled on and stayed on before we even reached 1000 feet and the TAT was 34C at that point.

The conclusion I have reached is that once the windows get some airflow over them, even warm air, it is enough to get the heat to cycle on and stay on. I can't imagine a situation where a normally working window heat system would cycle the heat off while the plane was flying. Also I believe I this before but the on off cycle in the real plane is a lot longer than it is in NGX.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

The window temperature (on number 1&2 windows) is controlled to be at around 37-43°C, lower tha 37° the light is on, above that temperature until 43° the light will flash as the controller will ramp down the temperature rise, above 47° to around 60° the light is off. Above 60° OVERHEAT will come on.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Wow, that's very different then what I was experiencing, in my last flight from KLAS-KLAX the on lights didn't illuminate until about 10 miles from the T/D. Thanks Tom for overseeing all of this and giving us the real aircrafts operation it sure seems like we got lucky after all these weeks haha. The only thing I have to add is does the team know that this is something to look into for SP2 and is definitely a minor bug?

thanks tom

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB