Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi guys,

Just have a quick problem that i wish to discuss with you guys not sure whether there is a solution or that i am using the wrong settings with AS2012.

The problem is when i am approaching an airport, lets say fort lauderdale, when i am assigned my runway by ATC say about 70 miles i am sometimes assigned to runway that shouldn't be active. For example the surface winds according to AS2012 at fort lauderdale were 085/7 however in normal circumstances ATC should of assigned 09L at fort lauderdale however then assigned me 27R however when i a lot closer to ATC started assigning aircraft to runway 09. There were no surface wind changes at all in that time.

I am just wondering why me and ai traffic are assigned runway that shouldn't be active however when you get closer to fort lauderdale they start assigning the 'correct' active runway

Any Ideas?

Default Settings plus DWC

does this have anything to do with DWC?

Cheers Jboy

Do you have the Force ATC Wind Lock box ticked under the general options tab in WX settings?

Hi,

No i don't have lock atc wind ticked think that has something to do with it?

Cheers

Jboy

Tick that button. It will hold your runway assignment according to the wind direction from like 120 miles or so out until you land.

Thanks for your help i'll give that a try!

just one more question, if the winds were say for example 090/10 however atc is assigning runway 27's however it should 09's that i should be assigned to why is this?

The closer i get to the airport the winds do not change however when i get closer i can then select 09 just wondering why atc keep assinging me the wrong runway?

sorry to be a pain

Cheer Jboy

I'm not really sure what the technical deal is with that. I think if the winds were below 4 or 5 knots or something ATC could assign any runway.

Thanks for your help i'll give that a try!

just one more question, if the winds were say for example 090/10 however atc is assigning runway 27's however it should 09's that i should be assigned to why is this?

The closer i get to the airport the winds do not change however when i get closer i can then select 09 just wondering why atc keep assinging me the wrong runway?

sorry to be a pain

Cheer Jboy

This is my number 1 complaint I have. Make sure you have added in the calculation taking into account the magnetic heading of the wind. ASE uses MAGNETIC and FSX uses TRUE. The difference in some cases could mean the need to land or TO on a different runway. If you add your flight plan into ASE it will show you the magnetic variation. You would add or subtract the variation based on what it shows you. Calm wind landings are also a crap shoot in FSX. LAX is a perfect example of that where in a calm wind situation ATC/AI will use runway 07 where in real life you would use runway 24. I'm not sure but I think in calm wind landing/TO FSX wants to use the runway closest to a north heading.

I recently had this isuue last night while flying KSFO-KLAS-KLAX. While landing at both airports (KLAS/KLAX) the AI were landing and taking off all over the place , for example at KLAS they were taking off from 07L and landing on 25R while I was assigned 25L. They were also using the 19's

Same deal as when I flew to KLAX, the AI were taking off from 06 L/R as well as 24L/R when I was assigned 24R.

Is ticking this box going to fix that issue? It is something I never had a problem with when using AS 6.5 (yes I used it in FSX)

I recently had this isuue last night while flying KSFO-KLAS-KLAX. While landing at both airports (KLAS/KLAX) the AI were landing and taking off all over the place , for example at KLAS they were taking off from 07L and landing on 25R while I was assigned 25L. They were also using the 19's

Same deal as when I flew to KLAX, the AI were taking off from 06 L/R as well as 24L/R when I was assigned 24R.

Is ticking this box going to fix that issue? It is something I never had a problem with when using AS 6.5 (yes I used it in FSX)

Is KLAS an addon or stock`? Also what do you use for AI traffic. I just flew into there and got 25R. They were landing also on 19. I didnt notice anything strange but got a go around at 100 ft AGL but I landed anyway. I thought I saw an AC at the end of the runway but I had to quick flip he auto brake switch to max and my son was talking to me at the same time so I don't know which way it was facing. I run Mytraffic X. I forgot to turn on supertraffic board also so I wouldnt get any strange AI activity. I usually use that on approach at hi density airports.

On another note you can use the refresh AI button on the wx report page also when your about 15 miles out to try to clean things up a bit before landing.

my son was talking to me at the same time so I don't know which way it was facing

I feel your pain... happens to me ALL the time. My wife seems to want to strike up a conversation whenever I am on short final.... I have to wait till my kids go to bed if I want to do a serious by the book flight.

Is KLAS an addon or stock`? Also what do you use for AI traffic. I just flew into there and got 25R. They were landing also on 19. I didnt notice anything strange but got a go around at 100 ft AGL but I landed anyway. I thought I saw an AC at the end of the runway but I had to quick flip he auto brake switch to max and my son was talking to me at the same time so I don't know which way it was facing. I run Mytraffic X. I forgot to turn on supertraffic board also so I wouldnt get any strange AI activity. I usually use that on approach at hi density airports.

On another note you can use the refresh AI button on the wx report page also when your about 15 miles out to try to clean things up a bit before landing.

FSDT KLAS and I use WOAI traffic. I never had this issue with AS 6.5 so I suspect it's an issue with AS2012.

I do think I might have to use the AI refresh as you suggested, in AS 6.5 it did it for you automatic if you like. Wonder of they can add that option again?

(Thanks for the help Daveo)

I feel your pain... happens to me ALL the time. My wife seems to want to strike up a conversation whenever I am on short final.... I have to wait till my kids go to bed if I want to do a serious by the book flight.

I love when mine reaches across the monitor for the ashtray as soon as I turn off the AT.

FSDT KLAS and I use WOAI traffic. I never had this issue with AS 6.5 so I suspect it's an issue with AS2012.

I do think I might have to use the AI refresh as you suggested, in AS 6.5 it did it for you automatic if you like. Wonder of they can add that option again?

(Thanks for the help Daveo)

FSDT KLAS is nice. I have that one. In fact last night was the first time I flew in to it. I got hooked on their addon airports.

Yes, using Force ATC Wind Lock will I think always solve your problem, even when winds are light & variable and flicking around the 90 degree-to-the-runway point, where the assigned runway can be changing on every update.

You DO need to use Refresh AI after you've loaded your flight plan into ASX/AS2012, otherwise you may be using the right runway for landing but AI traffic could still be taking off straight at you!

Another advantage is that is that if you have different flightplans dependent on which arrival runway is in use, you can select the right one with confidence that approach will apply when you get there.

If, for example you are flying long haul and are likely to have to save your flight mid-route, also save the AS weather at the start of the flight so that you can recreate the exact conditions when you resume the flight later on.

What I'm not clear on is whether this creates one or two other discrepancies e.g. the wind may be right on landing but I'm, not sure if 122.02 will give you the correct answer on visibility or whether it's raining at your destination but those are small items compared to getting a departing AI 747 filling your windscreen while you're on final approach with a tailwind!

What I'm not clear on is whether this creates one or two other discrepancies e.g. the wind may be right on landing but I'm, not sure if 122.02 will give you the correct answer on visibility or whether it's raining at your destination but those are small items compared to getting a departing AI 747 filling your windscreen while you're on final approach with a tailwind!

You can popup a destination wx report in Xguage to get visibilty and precip info.

I have never used XGauge - perhaps I'll give it a go, thanks.

Hi!

I use Radar Contact 4.3 in FSX and also I have a virtual company in FSPassenger X and in these days I fly PMDG 737-800WL aircraft in my company. I also use MyTraffic X 5.4A as a traffic and Active Sky 2012 as a weather program.

Yesterday I had a flight from Toronto Pearson Airport (CYYZ) to New york John F Kennedy Airport (KJFK). I had 154 passengers onboard and the flight was normal and in destination I was cleared to land on runway 13L. After touchdown I saw a 747 in front of me taking off from runway 31R and It cause the crash!

For second time I decide to do this route and because I use Active sky 2012 and doing Same flight in the same day (12/June/2012 6:25AM departure time from Toronto) I've got the same result and for second time I had a head collision on runway!!! but this time in 10miles to the airport I paused the FSX and go to Active Sky and hit the Refresh AI button and All the Air traffic refreshed but it didn't work for me and another collision occurd! for the third time when I was cleared to land, and refreshed AI traffic I went down and before touchdown I go around and saw another plane taking off the opposite runway! this time Radar Contact cleared me to land on runway 31L and I finally landed safely in KJFK!!!

All the 3 times the wind speed on KJFK was 5 knots and as friends mentioned in above it caused ATC command a wrong runway landing and departure.

The "Force ATC Wind Lock" can't solve the problem and for long flight this problem is a disaster!

It happened to me before:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/374394-aircraft-collision-in-klax/#entry2371913

And I think all of these caused by default ATC in FSX. It command the AI aircraft to take off and land in different runways and I think It must be a way to cmpletely disable the default ATC. any idea? (Maybe with FSUIPC)?

Hi,

I use ASE, and I get this all the time!!! I have the force destination wx checked, I always load a flight plan, and this happens moren than 50% of the time!!!

Today I completed 2 flights, one landing in SBGL (RIO) and one landing at EDDF, and on both, although destination weather clearly suggested landing runways, I was directed by FSX ATC for the opposite runway. In the case of SBGL, I landed with a 10 knots tailwind!!

Please, is there any way to solve this... this is extremely annoying... I guess that maybe extending the distance at which the destination WX is locked might be a solution, but that option is not possible, at least not through the program options (maybe through a CFG file or something)

Regards,

Henrique

Hi,

I use ASE, and I get this all the time!!! I have the force destination wx checked, I always load a flight plan, and this happens moren than 50% of the time!!!

Today I completed 2 flights, one landing in SBGL (RIO) and one landing at EDDF, and on both, although destination weather clearly suggested landing runways, I was directed by FSX ATC for the opposite runway. In the case of SBGL, I landed with a 10 knots tailwind!!

Please, is there any way to solve this... this is extremely annoying... I guess that maybe extending the distance at which the destination WX is locked might be a solution, but that option is not possible, at least not through the program options (maybe through a CFG file or something)

Regards,

Henrique

Are you making sure that you are hitting the refresh AI button in ASE "AFTER" you have loaded up your flight in FSX? I too had this problem all the time as I thought that resetting the AI thru UT2 was all I needed to do. The refresh AI button in ASE "AFTER THE FLIGHT HAS LOADED AND YOU ARE IN YOUR AIRCRAFT OF CHOICE AT THE GATE OR PARKING SPOT" actually forces a reload in FSX which get the AI to use the right runways. I have not had any issue with this after switching to this proceedure.

Jim, yes I usually do that if I see the T/O runway assigned by ATC is not the correct... the problem is when landing, because once FSX ATC assigns you a landing runway, they don't change it for you (even if they change it at some point for the AI).

I have read through several posts in this forum and this seems to be one of the major problems with AS products, at least with the DWC (direct weather control)... Now, what i don't really understand are the differences with the DWC mode and standard mode (with the latter, it seems that the landing runway assignment problem is not an issue), but everyone recommends using DWC!

Is there a simple comparison table of DWC and Standard mode, so we can get to know the pros and cons??

Regards,

Henrique

Im not sure of the differences between Standard verses DWC mode. My problem was exactly as yours where even if the T/O runway was correct the arrival was wrong and or a head on collision would always be impending. After I started to refresh AI no matter if the T/O runway was correct or not the problem for me at least is gone and havent had a issue since. I use DWC mode and have the the destination within 80 miles of the destination weather option checked as well.

It could also be that the sim is trying to simulate Reagan National......