Sign in to follow this  
bakka

Maule crosswind take off and landings

I've just been practicing take off and landing in the Maule with extreme crosswinds. My problem in the past was often that the cross wind would push me off the runway on take off as the plane becomes 'light' on the ground. I've just realized how useful it is to mix in some ailerons in this situation. If lets say, full right rudder is not keeping you on the center line add full left ailerons and it can save you. Its let me get in and out of many airports that I just could not take off from in the past in a crosswind. The same can be used on landing if you cant keep it on the center line. Getting the timing wrong when you release the sticks can make it kick like, ermm a maule though.

Do you really mean full right rudder combined with left aileron steering?

Crosswind training Video

sent from galaxy ace 2 via tapatalk

Any advice for people using a mouse? Can you use it in combination with the keyboard to stay straight?

Any advice for people using a mouse? Can you use it in combination with the keyboard to stay straight?

Rudder is applied via A (left) and D (right). The ailerons are applied via mouse movement (left or right)

Wheel or stick towards the wind and opposite rudder on takeoff.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you have axis brakes, which lets you apply partial brakes, you can use them to augment the rudder and aileron action if they are not enough to hold you straight. Slight brake pressure on the wheel that is on the same side as you are trying to turn toward with the rudder will slow that wheel down a little and help keep you tracking straight down the runway.

If you have axis brakes, which lets you apply partial brakes, you can use them to augment the rudder and aileron action if they are not enough to hold you straight. Slight brake pressure on the wheel that is on the same side as you are trying to turn toward with the rudder will slow that wheel down a little and help keep you tracking straight down the runway.

I read somewhere that if you don't have pedals, you can use Z and C for respectively left and right partial braking? X is braking with both wheels. Haven't tried it myself though.

The Z and C keys are for the left and right brakes but, like the X key for both brakes, they are "all or nothing." Hitting the keyboard key will fully apply that brake, which is not what you're looking for. You need to assign the left and right brakes to an axis device (pedals, levers, joystick analog hat, rotary wheel or something similar) so that you can apply just a little brake.

But this really shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis. Proper rudder and aileron deflection should be sufficient for normal crosswind take-offs. The brakes can be a useful thing to keep you on the runway if something unexpected occurs, but if you find yourself using them a lot on takeoffs you should reexamine your control technique and runway selections.

The Z and C keys are for the left and right brakes but, like the X key for both brakes, they are "all or nothing." Hitting the keyboard key will fully apply that brake, which is not what you're looking for. You need to assign the left and right brakes to an axis device (pedals, levers, joystick analog hat, rotary wheel or something similar) so that you can apply just a little brake.

But this really shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis. Proper rudder and aileron deflection should be sufficient for normal crosswind take-offs. The brakes can be a useful thing to keep you on the runway if something unexpected occurs, but if you find yourself using them a lot on takeoffs you should reexamine your control technique and runway selections.

I also think if you want any kind of realism, when the crosswind component exceeds about 15 knots, you wouldn't take off anyway in a real Maule, unless your life insurance and aircraft insurance was paid up.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I also think if you want any kind of realism, when the crosswind component exceeds about 15 knots, you wouldn't take off anyway in a real Maule, unless your life insurance and aircraft insurance was paid up.

Indeed!

5xmRG.png

Indeed!

5xmRG.png

And keep in mind that using flaps for take off makes crosswind behavior worse. ( landings too)

I agree but sometimes those guys are desperate for that ton of dogs or <insert stupid cargo here> :)