Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Need to study the Maule Fuel Management system,

At least it looks like the reciprocating engine model is not the one in FSX or previous msfs versions, and this is good, but I would really like to see it implemented with some more coherence... I insist - there should be proper MP variation with RPM increase/decrease, and they should correct the bug introduced with the latest patch regarding the net thrust/eficiency calculation when Prop RPMs are reduced, even on climb....

The FSX version of the Maule would increase speed when pulling the prop back, and decrease when pushing it forward, but possibly not as dramatically as the Flight version. At lease one person on this forum complained because the aircraft didn't lose any speed when pushing the prop to full. I doubt the Flight effect of pulling the prop back should be that dramatic; I suggest moving the lever slowly.

I don't know about the FSX Maule, but the Goose would vary MP with RPM changes.

Now... no matter what changes were made to the prop, there is NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER in sustained performance between the new version of the Maule and the older one. I spent a LOT of time studying the performance, as I'm usually trying for maximum range for the fuel I have.

...while I was flying to Johnston Atoll. There are not a lot of divert options between Hawaii and there.

So it really doesn't matter what fails when, you're going swimming in any case. :)

Hook

I have been stopping at most of the airports in the far Northwest shoreline of Alaska, and found out yesterday that most of them do not have fuel. Was trying to make the last one of the night when the engine quit.

Always check the maps to see which airports have fuel. They'll have marks around the circle, check the map legend to see what it looks like.

It's an interesting exercise to do a lot of job flying and only refueling if the airport has fuel. You may have to give up a job or divert to an airport with fuel during the flight.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Always check the maps to see which airports have fuel. They'll have marks around the circle, check the map legend to see what it looks like.

It's an interesting exercise to do a lot of job flying and only refueling if the airport has fuel. You may have to give up a job or divert to an airport with fuel during the flight.

Hook

Good tip. I never noticed that on the map, will look from now on.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The FSX version of the Maule would increase speed when pulling the prop back, and decrease when pushing it forward, but possibly not as dramatically as the Flight version. At lease one person on this forum complained because the aircraft didn't lose any speed when pushing the prop to full. I doubt the Flight effect of pulling the prop back should be that dramatic; I suggest moving the lever slowly.

For anybody, that's still not sure,

A constant speed prop.............is not like shifting into fourth gear, while racing. While it's like being in first gear for the takeoff roll, that's where the similarity ends. For top speed with full throttle, the prop lever will also be full forward, or just slightly back. That doesn't mean that the prop blades have returned to the same fine pitch, that they were for takeoff. Now, they are just allowing the engine to make as much horsepower as it can at altitude, while staying below redline (2700 rpm, or whatever it is).........but they will be coarser.

As to loosing speed at full, it really only happens when the throttle is pulled back on approach, and the blades are acting as an airbrake. I still don't see enough of this effect in sim models. Note: I don't have the Flight Maule. If you were push the prop lever forward too soon............it will do the same as shifting a vehicles transmission into a lower gear at high speeds. You'll be thrown forward against the seatbelt, and the engine will over-rev momentarily. Do that once in real-life, and you'll stop doing it.

L.Adamson

A constant speed prop.............is not like shifting into fourth gear, while racing. While it's like being in first gear for the takeoff roll, that's where the similarity ends. For top speed with full throttle, the prop lever will also be full forward, or just slightly back. That doesn't mean that the prop blades have returned to the same fine pitch, that they were for takeoff. Now, they are just allowing the engine to make as much horsepower as it can at altitude, while staying below redline (2700 rpm, or whatever it is).........but they will be coarser.

As to loosing speed at full, it really only happens when the throttle is pulled back on approach, and the blades are acting as an airbrake. I still don't see enough of this effect in sim models. Note: I don't have the Flight Maule. If you were push the prop lever forward too soon............it will do the same as shifting a vehicles transmission into a lower gear at high speeds. You'll be thrown forward against the seatbelt, and the engine will over-rev momentarily. Do that once in real-life, and you'll stop doing it.

L.Adamson

But wouldn't a pilot want the engine to run at a more conservative rpm like say 2300 rather than running at close to redline?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

But wouldn't a pilot want the engine to run at a more conservative rpm like say 2300 rather than running at close to redline?

For cruise flight, I'd always fly the RV6 around 2350 rpm, & throttle pulled back some. It's much quieter than 2700 rpm. The full throttle, and forward or near so, prop lever is just for getting there as fast as you can. edit: and fast climbs.

Note: My engine prop combo, has restrictions from 2000-2250 rpms. Not suppose to fly a long time in that range. I never liked it below 2000 rpms.

The question I've been trying to get answered is:

You're flying along, medium prop speed and medium throttle. If you push the prop control forward quickly, do you feel the plane slow momentarily? Also, after the plane speed stabilizes from moving the prop control forward, if you move it back quickly can you feel the plane accelerate momentarily?

Possible answers are:

1. Not at all on any plane.

2. Yes, but it's very slight.

3. Yes, and it can be quite dramatic

4. Mu (A Japanese expresion meaning, loosely, "unask the question", useful for questions that are invalid.)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

As to loosing speed at full, it really only happens when the throttle is pulled back on approach, and the blades are acting as an airbrake. I still don't see enough of this effect in sim models

Again, sorry for using ELITE as a comparison - in ELITE the use of Prop rpm (on fixed pitch propeller models) or Prop rpm/pitch, on CS aircraft, works just like in RL.

I have been able to compare ELITE's Tobago to the real aircraft, flying with a friend, and it is, I'd say, exactly as the real thing in ELITE :-)

That's why I never trashed ELITE just as I did with MSFS9, FXS, XPlane, and, am unable to do with MS FLIGHT because it is different!!!! :-) I try, but I come back running to re-install it maybe because it complements ELITE beautifully on the environment and overall feel of being there...

Ah! And Larry, thx for the very usefull explanation regarding why the ADF is not that important in GA these days... In fact less than just a few aircraft at local aerodromes around me have an ADF... I've seen a few with an RMI though

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The question I've been trying to get answered is:

You're flying along, medium prop speed and medium throttle. If you push the prop control forward quickly, do you feel the plane slow momentarily? Also, after the plane speed stabilizes from moving the prop control forward, if you move it back quickly can you feel the plane accelerate momentarily?

Possible answers are:

1. Not at all on any plane.

2. Yes, but it's very slight.

3. Yes, and it can be quite dramatic

4. Mu (A Japanese expresion meaning, loosely, "unask the question", useful for questions that are invalid.)

Hook

I need more options.....

The only reason I'm going to be moving the prop lever forward, is to climb. And when I do that, I'll be simutaneiously pulling back on the stick just a bit to load the engine up. And after the prop lever is forward, then I'll increase throttle. Other than that, the prop lever usually stays at that 2350 rpms, or perhaps 2400 rpms for the entire flight..............until on approach, where the throttle has already been pulled back. Even at the 2350 rpm setting, it's still acting as an air brake.

IMO, and since I learned from experience, not to do so.........I can assume that pushing the prop lever quickly forward while in cruise, will cause the engine to over-rev, and that braking action (flatter blades in the wind), that will momentarily slow the plane down. I'd also say, that there would be NO acceleration effect, when pulling back quickly...........as I've never felt that. With Cessna type vernier knobs, I'm just usally twisting anyway.....except for full forward on approach or climb. Then you push the knob button in, and push or pull.

So it really doesn't matter what fails when, you're going swimming in any case. :)

Generally, but keeping as much fuel as possible where it can actually be used when it's 300nm to the nearest spec of land does minimize one possibility of that happening. :)

Yep, Flight's Map does use the standard aeronautical symbols for "airport with services." That helps with the smaller fields, at least. And most of the big ones do have fuel, but I seem to recall at least one in Hawaii did not. Barking Sands, I think? There may be more in Alaska.

That is what I'm doing, and fuel management is a challenge when you only get fuel via the airport fuel window. I've already regretted draining fuel to make gross weight a couple of times, then needing that fuel for the next Job.

This is exactly how Flight's Maule worked, until the Title Update where they made changes to the prop effects. Full forward on the prop control gave the greatest acceleration on takeoff and the highest possible climb-rate afterwards.

Now, though, it does not seem to be that way. I've taken heavy loads and had great difficulty even getting off the ground at sea level, and having to hold "best rate of climb" speed just to approach 500fpm, at redline RPM.

But if I go back and do it again with the prop control pulled back to set 2500rpm, it gets off the ground in a shorter distance and I can accelerate torward cruise speed while climbing at 1000fpm.

Something is not right.

But if I go back and do it again with the prop control pulled back to set 2500rpm, it gets off the ground in a shorter distance and I can accelerate torward cruise speed while climbing at 1000fpm.

Something is not right.

sounds that way...

edit: I want to add something else. Unlike a vehicles gear ratio,

At full throttle, and full prop RPMs for takeoff, it doesn't mean that the prop blades will be in the full fine pitch. The prop governor is going to allow the engine to spin at 2700 rpms for the most takeoff power possible. It does this by varying blade angle. The blade pitch will automatically change, depending on load, runway conditions, etc. It will also, most likely be going to a coaser pitch, during the takeoff roll..............for the same reasons that a fixed pitch prop increases rpms on the takeoff. The fixed pitch is a compromise. You might only see 2350 at the beginning of the takeoff, which means you are not getting as much horsepower as possible. Horsepower is directly related to rpm with these engines. As the engine load lightens, like shifting to second gear, the fixed prop increases rpms. The C/S prop just maintains red line and highest HP to start with.

For a serious "what the..." moment, start on a strip with the Maule, set parking brake, mix and prop to full, then throttle to full, then pull back prop for an interesting ride.

For a serious "what the..." moment, start on a strip with the Maule, set parking brake, mix and prop to full, then throttle to full, then pull back prop for an interesting ride.

And in RW, instructors will pull back prop RPM to demonstrate the lack luster performace of fixed pitch, or at least to duplicate fixed pitch for transition training. On the other hand, what does the Flight Maule do.........as spelled out, above?

L.Adamson --- I believe in C/S props as much as GPS.. :biggrin:

Starts pulling forward, noses down to level attitude and once it gets past 30K IAS it starts to gain speed in a hurry. All with the parking brake still set. :rolleyes:

Interestingly this only works when light on fuel. Full tanks and it surges a bit but then stops. Weird either way.

And just to increase the weirdness, the Maule with full tanks and normal take off roll gets off the strip faster at 1500 RPM than it does at 2700 RPM. Something is definitely strange in this neighborhood.