Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The problem with non-FLIGHT, non-ELITE simulators...

Hello

This is all I use on my system, found my values for the bufferpools section and left it alone ever since.

FSX never crashes and the frames are smooth and consistent

FSX.cfg settings added

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[bufferPools]

UsePools=1

PoolSize=8388608

RejectThreshold=98304 // 512K=524288, 256K=262144, 124K=126976, 96K=98304 (system dependant)

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Files added / modified

UIAutomationCore.dll //ver 6.1.7600.16385 added to FSX root folder (fixes issues with moving from full screen to desktop)

\FSX\Effects\fx_skidmark.fx //renamed to fx_skidmark.bak (prevents fps drop on landing)

\FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc\SwarmCloud.fx // NewMaterialUsage changed to false (cures flashing /popping clouds)

//---------------------------------------------------------------

<

string Name = "SwarmCloud";

string Class = "Basic";

bool NewMaterialUsage = False; //

> = true;

//---------------------------------------------------------------

And that's the trick. Most of us FSX "experts" are really good at applying quickly the tweaks we need. I know I can install a fresh FSX and be tweaked for my system in about 45 minutes. After that, I won't touch the .cfg again. I often see folks obsessed with tweaking, mainly because of weak hardware. Know that you're running a resource hungry simulation and set up accordingly to your system specs. After that, don't touch the settings again.

What FSX lacks in pure code efficiency is made up for by the countless choices in add-ons. Flight got old quickly for me (2 days), FS9 is showing her age. I'll take the drawbacks to FSX any day.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Know that you're running a resource hungry simulation and set up accordingly to your system specs. After that, don't touch the settings again.

Hello Zach

That exactly it, if you find the need to keep tweaking because you feel there must be "a bit more left",

then it is new hardware you need not software tweaks.

Folk keep tweaking until the Sim breaks, then blame the code.

Know the limits of the hardware, get it running smoothly within those limits and then just fly.

I thought the correct version to use was 6.0.6002.18000 (or 6.0.6002.18155), the VISTA 32 versions

Hello geoff

I have both 6.0.6001.1800 and 6.1.7600.16385 available here, the 16385 is the version linked to in Word Not Allowed's guide so I have always used that one.

I will drop in 6.0.6001.1800 and see what happens, although I am having no issues at present with 16385

Every single one of these posts with wonderful, if nearly undecipherable, hints and tweaks, makes me love Flight even more...

No offense intended to the FSX tweakers, it's just that a lot of it is, at first glance, over my head... I'm guessing I could decode it, research it, figure it out, and apply it, if I was so motivated, but so far, it's a LOT more satisfying to just fire up Flight and, you know... FLY!

Every single one of these posts with wonderful, if nearly undecipherable, hints and tweaks, makes me love Flight even more...

No offense intended to the FSX tweakers, it's just that a lot of it is, at first glance, over my head... I'm guessing I could decode it, research it, figure it out, and apply it, if I was so motivated, but so far, it's a LOT more satisfying to just fire up Flight and, you know... FLY!

Yup. And that's the beauty in having choices. I need my realism and system building, others need simplicity, some want to tweak, etc, etc.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I upgraded my system because Flight would not run smoothly on it. FSX was hopeless. I upgraded to an I7 2600 processor, a nvidia GTX 570 graphics card and as much ram as I could put on my motherboard. Yup... that did the trick... furthermore the system runs FSX with most of the sliders to the max at a very consistent 40 FPS and no tweaking.