Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The problem with non-FLIGHT, non-ELITE simulators...

I think you've got a point here, and we ought to remember that we're now pushing FSX past the limits which it was orignally designed for. However, even at stock, graphics look so much better with a few tweaks. I also think you'd notice a very big improvement in frames if you ran them, even if stock settings give you acceptable performance.

I am not commenting on tweaks, one way or the other. My point remains that some enthusiasts overloaded FSX with highly complex aircraft and very detailed scenery and then complained the FSX was responsible for the FPS hit and other problems - FSX wasn't: they were.

I am sorry that Flight never developed to the point that it needed tweaking. Pretty basic sim, with very limited options, weather, navigation etc. Not much too tweak or to go wrong. Of coarse also never got any 3rd party content either.

A reinstall of FSX with all of the upgrading, researching, tweaking, and installation of addons and all of their individual upgrades, researching, tweaking is a nightmare. But I would rather have all of that complexity than be stuck with a very limited sim. Its a shame to me that Flight never got that chance, especially since it started out so far ahead of where FSX did in many ways.

I am sorry that Flight never developed to the point that it needed tweaking. Pretty basic sim, with very limited options, weather, navigation etc. Not much too tweak or to go wrong. Of coarse also never got any 3rd party content either.

You are correct in that it never really needed any tweaking, it ran great as is on most folks systems unless they had really older systems.

However, the ability to tweak is certainly in there - just change the line under configuration in the flight.cfg file, custom = 0, to custom = 1, ( after making a backup of the file of course), and this disables the limited in game graphics options, and you can tweak away. Just not a lot has been said about it, cause most of us here didn't really see the need to do so.

The fact is, that with a good current technology PC, you do not need to do any tweaking of FSX to speak of.

The experiences of many, including myself, say otherwise. All those tweaks that are not neccessary helped my system to finally run FSX smoothly and mostly trouble-free manner, especialy when you start throwing add-on scenery and complex planes in the mix.

especialy when you start throwing add-on scenery and complex planes in the mix.

That is the operative phrase...

Mind you, I agree with Word Not Allowed's guide and would certainly recommend following it.

Bert

You certainly don't need add-on scenery and complex planes to need tweaking on FSX. Just ask anyone who is running a default FSX installation. I have no add-on scenery at all, two payware aircraft, and considerable tweaking on a couple of default aircraft, with the only thing that can affect performance being additions to the instrumentation on one of those aircraft.

Actually, if you run with really low settings on everything, you may not notice that much benefit from tweaking. But who runs on low settings? I didn't buy a top of the line computer to run on low settings. If nothing else, the tweaks allow you to run on higher settings than you'd be able to otherwise.

I agree with Word Not Allowed's guide and would certainly recommend following it.

That's the operative phrase.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well for old times sake (and cause I was bored) I booted up fsx. Not bad, but then, I have a good system and had tweaked it to death.......

After flying around a bit, I minimized the screen to check some stuff on the web, and.......... Oooops!

Yup, FSX refused to return from the dead. I had actually forgotten about that little issue.

I didn't feel like rebooting, so that was the end of that, for today.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I did Word Not Allowed's tweaks and ran FSX for a while tonight. Oddly enough, there wasn't that much to change in the config file. Also, I was getting a solid 30 fps over open country, where before it wouldn't hold a solid 20. I didn't test cities enough to determine if the frame rate would drop much.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

After flying around a bit, I minimized the screen to check some stuff on the web, and.......... Oooops!

Yup, FSX refused to return from the dead. I had actually forgotten about that little issue.

After going back to FSX I always have to alt-enter twice to get FSX back. :wink: Helps everytime. FSX hasn't locked up yet once (after applying Word Not Allowed's tweaks). Flight didn't require any alt-tabbing to get it back, yes, but it's not too bad...

Oddly enough, there wasn't that much to change in the config file.

There are indeed just a few tweaks you have to do. It's not like with bojote's tool where you don't recognize your own cfg anymore! In fact, I only use THREE tweaks in my cfg! (Plus Widescreen=True but that isn't a tweak imho). All his other tweaks I don't use (leave them at default). After that I only have to setup nVidia Inspector and I have some changes in the cfg concerning messages onscreen but those aren't performance tweaks, just my preferences. That's it and that's all...

Hello

Fixed a long time ago for me with UIAutomationCore.dll ver 6.1.7600.16385 dropped into the FSX folder.

There is however still a bug in the FSX top line menu code under Windows 7.

This has now been fixed by LM in Prepr3D as they have completely re written the menu code to work under W7

Hello

Fixed a long time ago for me with UIAutomationCore.dll ver 6.1.7600.16385 dropped into the FSX folder.

This has now been fixed by LM in Prepr3D as they have completely re written the menu code to work under W7

Well thanks for the information. If I try again, I will keep that in mind. ^_^

I will note though, that yet again, we have another tweak. I wonder just how many of them there are! (and how many new ones people will need for windows 8) :blink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Twekytweakytweeeee... FSX is the Queen of the Tweaks :-) But I am enjoying it ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I will note though, that yet again, we have another tweak. I wonder just how many of them there are! (and how many new ones people will need for windows 8)

Hello

This is all I use on my system, found my values for the bufferpools section and left it alone ever since.

FSX never crashes and the frames are smooth and consistent

FSX.cfg settings added

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[bufferPools]

UsePools=1

PoolSize=8388608

RejectThreshold=98304 // 512K=524288, 256K=262144, 124K=126976, 96K=98304 (system dependant)

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Files added / modified

UIAutomationCore.dll //ver 6.1.7600.16385 added to FSX root folder (fixes issues with moving from full screen to desktop)

\FSX\Effects\fx_skidmark.fx //renamed to fx_skidmark.bak (prevents fps drop on landing)

\FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc\SwarmCloud.fx // NewMaterialUsage changed to false (cures flashing /popping clouds)

//---------------------------------------------------------------

<

string Name = "SwarmCloud";

string Class = "Basic";

bool NewMaterialUsage = False; //

> = true;

//---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

UIAutomationCore.dll ver 6.1.7600.16385 is the Windows 7 32 Bit version

This is actually the version you already have in Windows 7, and that causes the problems with FSX, so forcing FSX to use it by putting it in the FSX root, really cannot be helping.

What you need is an earlier version of this dll, that FSX was originally designed & compile to run with.

I thought the correct version to use was 6.0.6002.18000 (or 6.0.6002.18155), the VISTA 32 versions