Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Give it a try, I believe you won't regret...

Question

I can't help to leave here a very positive note on this last (2.8) FlightGear release, in each and every aspect, from the new graphics to the new version of the JSBSim FD. Great Fun!!!!

Played around with the remarkable Cessna 337, but also with the default Cub, using RW Weather and Rembrandt-enhanced graphics. Runs smooth as silk on my system, the flight models, now even with the new helicopter model based on the JSBSim platform, and it's all FOR FREE!

Please, don't forget to give it a fair try, and don't give up on what may well be the only "negative" aspect of FG - the joystick configuration to suite your hardware, usually requiring some XML editing. Read the Wiki and you'll most certainly find your way through it, and soon get into the "air" with one of the default models or some of the best freeware (of course...) add-ons, like those from here:

http://www.vivefg.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:cessna-337-skymaster&catid=35:hangar&Itemid=40

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

And why hasn't a moderator realized this guy is a forum troll yet?

'Cause admin has him on ignore, too. If he's a problem put him on your ignore list.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

FG 10 is available and voila! joystick out the box woohoo.

Just to clarify - what's available as of 30th January are the 2.10.0 Release Candidates. They are primarily for people wanting to test the new release. The actual release will be around the 17th February.

We're not expecting much to change as FG is fairly stable, but there will be bug fixes between now and the 17th.

You're welcome to download the RCs, and if you hit any problems please report them using our issue tracker (http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/), or forum (http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=68&sid=609ec9b5a4c82ac32fc590fa119df4cd). However, please be prepared for some turbulence, and you may wish to wait for the final release instead. Of course, you can install the 2.10.0 RC and then later install the install the final 2.10.0 release.

-Stuart

To answer my own question in part, it must have been before FS98 (6.1) in 1997 which provided support for Microsoft's force-feedback Sidewinder joystick.

To answer my own question in part, it must have been before FS98 (6.1) in 1997

I just checked the box. Version 5.1 had joystick support. I can't find earlier versions except the original, and it did not have joystick support.. but it DID work on the PC Jr. :)

Flight Gear has had joystick support for a while, just not out-of-the-box.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yes I should clarify MY joystick works out of the box. Now just need to install my software for my stick.

My Saitek joystick works out of the box in FSX on Win7 without the need for me to install any software.

nfmz1 - going slightly off topic, but you shouldn't need to install any additional software to get your joystick working with FG 2.10.0. In fact, I'd recommend not using the Saitek software, and just configuring it through the Joystick Configuration UI within FG itself (assuming FG is detecting it correctly as a USB joystick?). I recall seeing reports from other users saying that the Saitek drivers just confused matters.

If you want to do complicated bindings like having a mode selector switch, you're better of doing that natively within FG rather than any Saitek software. However, that isn't supported by the FG Joystick Configuration UI, as it's quite complicated.

-Stuart

i couldn't find the joystick configuration UI in FG 2 10? Where is it?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well, it's under the "Help" menu... It's easy to use, and makes FG a whole better :-)

Looking fwd for the final release !!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

jcomm: Out of interest, under which menu were you expecting to find it and why?

You're not the only person to have difficulty finding it. I spent a bit of time trying to work out the best place for the UI within the menu system, and I'm not sure I got the right place.

-Stuart

Stuart,

I'm actually a bit confused because I was convinced I saw the joystick configuration in two different menus in the sim, but today it appears that it's only under "Help".

It's acceptable, but I would put it under Equipment....

Anyway, it's the nicest feature added to this sim over the last updates :-) Piece of cake to use ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

And how's that Flight Dynamics Jcomm? Close to X-plane? DCS? Let's put some wood in this fire =p

Alexis Mefano

Hmmm Alec,

it all depends. FG uses an approach very close to that of MSFS in terms of JSBSim, with 2nd order derivates for it's lift and drag tables, thus allowing for more detailled representations of an airfoil. Then there is YASim, an approach that tries to infer the flight dynamics from the genaral "shape" of the aircraft, a bit like X-Plane, although using a different approach.

I'd say that the best aircraft designed for FG, if you have access to the proper flight data, can be at least as good as the best add-ons for FSX, including those that do most of the calculations outside of the MSFS core.... JSBsim rotary wing flight dynamics are also better by default than those offered by any version of MSFS.

Graphically, FG may not be up to the level of MSFS in some aspects, while on others (specially the recent weather and lighting effects) it can do better than MSFS....

Overall I'd say FG is a great meritable Project, specially interesting if you don't want to spend money and at the same time have a simulation platform that will allow you to prcatise many flight trainning scenarios, including IFR, it is growing every 6 months, and specially now that one of it's major "show killers" - the absence of a joystick conf UI. With the new interface it is really simple to get your controllers ready without having to mess with XML file editing :-)

As I wrote in the OP: "Give it a try! I believe you wont regret!!! ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Thank you Jcomm for the nice Evaluation!

If I'm right, Majestic Dash-8 Q400 upcoming project has all the FM done outside FSX using JSBSim. It should be better than FSX for them to justify doing it this way, right?

The lack of Joystick UI was a major letdown when I tried it last time, now I might be able to give it another try!

But, as with any simulator, it's always as good as the quality of the aircraft that's inside. We all know what that can do to a fantastic simulator like X-Plane, and it's Default aircraft that gives us a totally wrong impression!

Alexis Mefano

If I'm right, Majestic Dash-8 Q400 upcoming project has all the FM done outside FSX using JSBSim. It should be better than FSX for them to justify doing it this way, right?

That's really good news Alec. Last time I read about their products was around 2005 when I was still using fs9. They were already producing their line of semi-professional Dash-8 sims. Great they're using JSBsim - it's indeed a great flight dynamics core. Outerra uses it as well, if I'm not wrong!

Main Simulation Rig: