Sign in to follow this  
OPS1

Pilot got in trouble for flashing lights

Wingflex? :biggrin:

It certainly would have after the wollop I gave it, :vava: but I had the Flight Attendants to take care of me... :spiteful:

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Wasn't hurt, but the captain I fell on broke his arm... :wacko:

Makes me feel better that I haven't done worse than eating the captain's steak on a jumpseating flight :lol:

Makes me feel better that I haven't done worse than eating the captain's steak on a jumpseating flight :lol:

Eeek, now that could get you in a fair bit of trouble.... :P

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

If the captain orders the fish, better not eat it. But be ready to jump into his seat just in case.

Strobes, while great in the air, are a nuisance on the ground,

I think simmers who haven't been near the real thing don't understand, is how unbelievably bright strobes are. To get a good idea, have about four or five friends use their flashes on their cameras as you drive by in your car at night.

Anyway he was telling me he got in trouble for it ...

What do you think, you think this is a bit to far or shouldn't he be flashing lights to people in the terminal?

What exactly was the nature of the "trouble" he got into?

An informal warning? termination of his contract? Criminal charges?

What exactly was the nature of the "trouble" he got into?

An informal warning? termination of his contract? Criminal charges?

Most likely an unwanted visit to the Chiefs office.

Strobes, while great in the air, are a nuisance on the ground, the amount of pilots who forget to turn them off, or else treat them like the rotating beacon is insane. You gain a real appreciation of strobes when you get dazzled by them... EI policy is not to turn them on until takeoff clearance is received and off as soon as you're off the runway... Some pilots though just don't seem to get it...

Ró.

Yeah my college is right next to a GA ramp even on the cessna's and light a/c they seem quite bright especially if the actual strobe lenses/lights are facing directly towards you. I've noticed a lot here in the UK many airliners switch the strobes on when turning onto the runway or if they backtrack a runway then they activate the landing lights as soon as they get takeoff clearance and begin to spool the engines and stabilize them. I've noticed a lot of American airliners use the wing lights which are usually on the side of the fuselage. Are wing lights a compulsory regulation in the US? Also on the subject of lights are position/navigation lights compulsory in all weather conditions? because I'm quite sure when visibility has been good some pilots leave them off maybe to save bulb life? If you think strobes are bright you need to see how bright those LED's are on the 787. I saw it come in and you could see those LED's from a good 10 miles away. Their very distinctive!

The FAA has a program that says once you are on the runway all lights should be on. There is a little paper they put out showing when you should be using which lights but I can't find it right now.

Nice idea for the kids but fairly silly in my opinion if he was being marshalled