Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

PC Performance Monitoring

Since FSX and many PC games demand a relatively powerful computer to perform well, what PC performance utilities do you regularly use to monitor performance? Do you create charts from the data to show things like CPU and GPU temperatures, fan speeds, CPU loads, etc? Do you compare charts over time to look for problems that might require attention? Has your monitoring ever helped you catch a problem that could have led to disaster if no action was taken?

Thanks for the information!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on it to a certain degree. I always run SpeedFan while gaming/simming as it allows me to make sure I'm not reaching dangerous temperatures.

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Sent from my i9000M using Tapatalk

Use resource monitor. It's built into the Windows OS: you can monitor all kinds of stuff like Disk I/O, CPU usage, CPU frequency (percent of max), RAM usage, and Network usage.

Have a look at HwInfo64 . It does a pretty good job of monitoring any variable you're need to watch while running FSX and it can also create a log of the variables you're monitoring for review at a later time.

Use Performance Monitor in Win 7, creating your own data collector, and either viewing in real time, or just log it as you're running FSX. Particularly, it will graphically monitor each page file that you have, both usage and peak usage.

Start-->type in perfmon, hit enter, when it opens highlight Performance Monitor, click on the green "+" symbol and add whatever you think is useful. 100 times more powerful than the Resource Monitor.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Performance Monitor is wonderful and I use it anytime that I am troubleshooting or considering an upgrade. I would always recommend this tool as a starting point as it can log large amounts of data for a network of computers.

One limitation is that it does not have counters for temperature, so you will still need to look elsewhere for that information.

I use CoreTemp only, and FSX itself. Since I overclock to a sane level on air the only issue I am concerned about is temperature, since voltages are set in the BIOS and as I say, I am overclocking safe 'n sane, or so I believe ;o).

I like using FSX as the ultimate monitor for obvious reasons. You can have a system that monitors out well in every domain, yet has issues w/ FSX performance.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X