Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Airbus

PC Performance Monitoring

Since FSX and many PC games demand a relatively powerful computer to perform well, what PC performance utilities do you regularly use to monitor performance? Do you create charts from the data to show things like CPU and GPU temperatures, fan speeds, CPU loads, etc? Do you compare charts over time to look for problems that might require attention? Has your monitoring ever helped you catch a problem that could have led to disaster if no action was taken?

Thanks for the information!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on it to a certain degree. I always run SpeedFan while gaming/simming as it allows me to make sure I'm not reaching dangerous temperatures.

Seth Ainsley JTS1141

Sent from my i9000M using Tapatalk

Use resource monitor. It's built into the Windows OS: you can monitor all kinds of stuff like Disk I/O, CPU usage, CPU frequency (percent of max), RAM usage, and Network usage.

Total Distance Flown: 65,141.138 Nautical Miles (In reality-------I don't have THAT much time to waste on FSX).

Use Performance Monitor in Win 7, creating your own data collector, and either viewing in real time, or just log it as you're running FSX. Particularly, it will graphically monitor each page file that you have, both usage and peak usage.

Start-->type in perfmon, hit enter, when it opens highlight Performance Monitor, click on the green "+" symbol and add whatever you think is useful. 100 times more powerful than the Resource Monitor.

Performance Monitor is wonderful and I use it anytime that I am troubleshooting or considering an upgrade. I would always recommend this tool as a starting point as it can log large amounts of data for a network of computers.

One limitation is that it does not have counters for temperature, so you will still need to look elsewhere for that information.

I use CoreTemp only, and FSX itself. Since I overclock to a sane level on air the only issue I am concerned about is temperature, since voltages are set in the BIOS and as I say, I am overclocking safe 'n sane, or so I believe ;o).

I like using FSX as the ultimate monitor for obvious reasons. You can have a system that monitors out well in every domain, yet has issues w/ FSX performance.

Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

39%
    $9,920.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now