Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mario340500

SSD secure deletion and reformat - How?

Hi,

After many FSX installs, finally the inevitable in upon me.

My 160GB intel x25 SSD has reached capacity and will be upgraded to a 240GB intel 520 series SSD (+ ASUS GTX680-DC20-2GD5 Upgrade).

I intend selling the 160GB (+ replaced GTX480 w custom zalman twin fan cooling solution) not too long after.

I would most appreciate any guidance on securely deleting and formatting the drive so that all my licensed FSX s/w is not restored.

On the flip side, given how this 160GB contains only the FSX installs (PMDG, Orbx and REX + others) and not W7 O/S; can the restored data be of any use?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mars

Ps. apologies if this has been covered already via other threads. A link to those would be most appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Having reached capacity already, the question becomes: is a "mere" 50% capacity increase going to suffice? I would venture the answer is no. I started off with a 256GB SSD in my new build and soon realized that it was not going to be enough to store all my sims and add-ons so I swapped it out for a 512GB model and haven't thought about storage capacity since then. Perhaps 512's not in the budget, which I totally understand. Maybe look at something in the 300GB+ range then? Newegg has a Corsair Force GS 360GB for $320, that's the same price as a customer of mine paid for a 240GB drive a year or so ago and back then we jumped on that deal! 50% more capacity at the same price is a heck of a savings.

Thanks Techguy,

I got the 240GB Series 520 as a result of a bet I won.. so.. 50% more SSD space for free is AWESOME no matter how you look at it..

In term's of my orignal question, I am considering the easiest way so far is to Split the drive into 2 partitions and allocate that space for 2 drives and format.

That should mean that the data is longer recoverable right?

Cheers,

Mars

That should mean that the data is longer recoverable right?

http://howto.cnet.co...e-an-ssd-drive/

hth's

-Rob

p.s. me? if there is "sensitive data" on it... I take a hammer to it. Had a seagate 1TB fail just after install / replacement (within a week or so of purchase)... and had personal data on it... so I eat the cost... it's waiting on the hammer.

Intel's latest SSD Toolbox utility is the easiest way to do a secure erase on an X-25M. Free download from the intel website.

Intel's latest SSD Toolbox utility is the easiest way to do a secure erase on an X-25M.

I was wondering about that (how secure...)

Thanks Col. Scott.

-Rob

Btw... I didn't mean he should Thor-erize his ssd... i just save my mechanicals (w/ the exception of failed drives... all ssds are currently in use).