Sign in to follow this  
JaseMelbo

Melbourne to Hobart experience

This is just a quick one letting everyone know that I'm hooked on the YMML to YMHB flight with the 737NGX.

Always seems to bring up some interesting weather and is the perfect distance to travel (time wise) due to my busy work schedule.

Just also wondering what airports people are using for YMML and YMHB that are relatively OK with frame rates..........

Jas

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

hey mate, I've flown this route a few times for my VA (TAAG - we replicate Aust Express who do YMML-YMMB-YMLT-YMML or something) in the B736 NGX but with Aust Air Express liveries (to sort of simulate the B733 AaE use IRL) - very quick, good wx, usually good online too with YMML almost always staffed by VATPAC atc. I had YMML from Orbx but uninstalled it because, combined with the NGX and FSINN, my frame rates were in then single digits when on approach (like trying to land via powerpoint presentation!).

Hi Jas,

For Hobart I use http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=147407

For Melbourne I use Ray's AFCAD: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxafcad&DLID=168478

I also use Ray's AFCAD for YSSY and some other major airports, works great if you have a traffic addon.

No FPS problems.

Maybe you want to consider flying to Launceston? There is an ORBX airport there.

For Melbourne I have ORBX YMAV and YMMB and their FPS is good, but I don't want to have bad frames so I haven't purchased the big one.

Hey thanks for the info. Really good stuff. I might check out that VA actually.........

I will be sure to check out the avsim library files you sent too.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback - appreciate it.

Jas

Always seems to bring up some interesting weather and is the perfect distance to travel (time wise) due to my busy work schedule..........

Jas

Hi Jas,

I have flown that actual route several times when Iused to live in Melbourne (now in Denver). And I know about busy work schedules, I get on a good night maybe an hour of FSX time during the week...... I recall that this flight is about an hour, which seems to be the sweet spot for the NGX, at least for me.... Do you have any date/ times for interesting weather at either airport that I could use AS2012 for?

I have the ORBX YMML / MEL, and love it. I was down there visiting family in Feburary, and when recreating some commercial flights we did ( as pax :). ), when I got back here with AS2012 and real times in FSX (corrected for summer time), it was awesome. I don't experience any fps issue with scenery that I consider impairs my flying, although I am also not an "fps junkie", as long as it looks reasonable...

Good thread, Bruce.

Bruce,

I'm the same mate when it comes to FPS. I never really monitor it, as long as its relatively smooth I'm a happy flyer.

Just recently Melbourne has been experiencing some pretty ordinary weather in relation to wind gusts and the odd rain shower. Same I found last night heading into Hobart. I love the VOR approach into RW 30 at Hobart. You get a great look at the city of Hobart on the right, flanked by Mount Wellington. The 102degree track at the Hobart VOR sends you out over the water and you come around 8DME (2.5MINS) and turn right to line up with RW30. This then takes you over Sorel Beach and its not long until you're over the threshold.

As far as exact times of my flight, it ranges. I think its more that the two areas have been experiencing some interesting weather patterns over the last few days.

I will certainly look at YMML as a download and check it out.

Cheers.

Jas

This sounds cool! Was thinking of giving ORBX Australia a whirl and this may be the motivation...

Thanks for the info on the Hobart approach, Jas, much appreciated.

Bruce.

Thanks Jas, good site to keep bookmarked.

Bruce.