Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Do larger monitors require beefier video cards

Hi all

If I wanted to upgrade to a 32' monitor, would my current graphics card need to be changed? Is there any correlation between the two at all?

Thanks

Depends on the resolution you run. At 1080p no. But that would look terrible so in basic general terms yes. The higher the resolution the more benefit a powerful GPU will be.

Personally I think there is a greater benefit in running a higher resolution than a larger size monitor, meaning a 27" monitor running FSX at 2560 x 1440 is going to look way better than a 32" monitor with FSX at 1920 x 1080. Plus any monitor beyond the 30" mark capable of a resolution of 2560 x 1600 is going to be very, very costly. Dell make a 30" monitor that can run at that resolution and it costs around GBP 900! Of course you could always setup a triple display configuration with 3 x 27" monitors each setup at 1920 x 1080, which would give you an overall resolution of 5760 x 1080.

If you do decide on a 27" or 30" screen with FSX running at 2560 x 1440 (or 1600) I would recommend at least a GTX 580 graphics card. Running a triple monitor setup would obviously benefit from something even more powerful. FSX has a problem with AMD cards, but if you switch to Prepard3D, you will be able to benefit from their new AMD Eyefinity Gold certification, which I believe makes setting up multiple monitors a lot easier and should have the necessary power to still run at a decent frame rate on a triple monitor config.

Cheers,

Jerome

I am considering buying the new asus PB278Q 27 inch monitor to replace my dell. Resolution is 2560 x 1440. My dell I think os 1920 x 1080. Will this reduce my frame rates by much ?

I am considering buying the new asus PB278Q 27 inch monitor to replace my dell. Resolution is 2560 x 1440. My dell I think os 1920 x 1080. Will this reduce my frame rates by much ?

Yes. You will see about a 20% loss in framerate in GPU limited scenarios. Upgrading to a GTX660ti, 670 or 680 would really help with performance on larger resolutions.

Ok thanks Ben, is anyone running a 27 inch display at 2560 x 1440 with a 560 ti ?

Ok thanks Ben, is anyone running a 27 inch display at 2560 x 1440 with a 560 ti ?

I do know that Word Not Allowed runs a 1440P monitor but, he has the GTX580. He told me that there was about a 15% performance loss at the higher res when compared to 1080P.

Also take into account that the 580 is 33% faster in clouds than the 560Ti. The 560Ti will likely suffer a greater hit with 1440P than the 580...

I have three 24 inch at 1920x1200 on 3 gtx 570s, each monitor is on its own card no sli and i am getting about 35 fos with orbx pnw and pmdg 737<br /><br />I cant speak for the dells but you can run biger res on a lower end card just stick to the latest gen of cards. The 600 series cards run faster and use less power than the 500 series.

Don't know what Word Not Allowed settings. I used a 40" LED TV as monitor 5 weeks ago and now bought a 27" IPS display with a resolution of 2560x1440 (Great detailed review here), Nvidia 560 oc at 910mhz. I got my frame rate locked at 25fps though. In UK 2000 EGLL I got 22-24fps, no fps performance loss comparing to the large LED TV.

Thats interesting Tony, with those framerates at £GLL are you using any traffic ?

To the OP.

The size of the screen dooesn't matter. What matters is what resolution you run. Higher resolution will demand more from both your GPU and your CPU as well.

I have a 30 inch at 2560x1600

My GPU is a 570 GTX.

There was some small FPS loss with the higher resolution, but I also found that I didnt need the high levels of AA at 2560x1600

I now run at 4xMSAA with 2xSGSS and it looks just as good as 8xS and 4xSGSS did at the lower resolution. I also got some performance back from doing this. (my previous montors were a 21.3 inch 1600x1200 4:3 from 2003 and a 27 inch 1920x1200 16:10)

Also, if possible, try and get 16:10 aspect ratio. I find the more veritical pixels really help for FS. 16:9 looks way too compressed and narrow to me, although that maybe because I only ever had 16:10 monitors to begin with.

Finding 16:10 format is difficult these days though...........

Thanks Glenn, thats most helpful. Ordered mine today. I read somewhere else that you don't need high levels of AA. Yes I agree, eventually went for the Dell 2713 and that is 16:9 ratio, nearly bought the catleap but wanted the 3 year warranty.