Sign in to follow this  
hondadogie

Heavy duty upgrade and FSX reinstall yesterday and still low fps

So as with I am sure a ton of other users, I was getting very poor frame rates in my FSX. So I just got done installing my intel i5 2500 sandy, 16g ram, nvidia gtx570 and reinstalled FSX. Loaded up my local FBO (KSCH) with default settings except turned resolution up and cannot even get 20 fps. Very, very frustrated.

Buy Prepar3d or try Xplane10, they are better optimized to use your hardware. FSX is too unstable and old.

I take it you have the service packs or Acceleration installed? What did you upgrade from?

1) Yes I installed SP1 & SP2

2) Upgraded from:

CPU: Intel E8500 Core2duo 3.0 gHz OC'd at 4.0 gHz

Mobo: MSI P7N SLI-Platinum 2

PS: Antec 1000 watt

Memory: 4GB DDR2

Video: nVidia GTX260 OC2

3) After hardware was installed, istalled new mainboard drivers and did clean install of nVidia 196.xxx.

Was playing around with it today and found I can max out all sliders (with water on 2.0 mid) except traffic and autogen scenery. It looks pretty good and runs well between 30-40 fps. But the whole reason I have poured so much time, money and energy into FSX was for the traffic and the autogen'd 3d scenery. The only add-ons I have are Ultimate Terrain X and REX 2.0. I use the 1m texture resolutions with UTX, 2048x2048 clouds with REX and 512x512 water.

Yes, I just finished reading it. Is the nVidia inspector really something that works? All other things I will modify in my FSX.cfg in a while and post results.

Yup, disappointing isn't it? I did a similar upgrade. With a some addons, hardware is just not fast enough yet to max out FSX. GPU power we can get enough of, but we need a 7GHz cpu it would seem.

7GHz cpu it would seem.

Haswell will have about a 25% increase clock for clock over Sandy. Intel has promised better OC'ing on Haswell too.

Haswell @ 5GHZ (on water) = SB @ 6.2GHZ So, Haswell is likely going to be another good step to better FSX performance in CPU limited areas.

Buy Prepar3d or try Xplane10, they are better optimized to use your hardware. FSX is too unstable and old.

Hello

Complete rubbish, never less 30fps here no matter what area or aircraft I use. never crashes either.

The Prepar3D code is just as old and has problems of its own, ATC window ect

The Prepar3D code is just as old and has problems of its own, ATC window ect

D

Do you have P3D or Xplane installed and running. I dont see it in your My simulator and therefore question on the qualification to comment on it one way or another? That said, no, P3D or even Xplane is not the correct reply to the OP question.

I’m not one to give advice on tweaking, in fact I rarely post a comment at all

However the biggest increase I got in my FPS was by forcing to “Full Screen” This increased my fps massively and was the simplest tweak.

Anytime my windows tool bar was showing my frames dropped to about half.

Good Luck

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10