Sign in to follow this  
Cai Zicheng

Interaction with knobs in XP10

Hello,

I'm using the latest X-Plane 10.10 recently. I find that it's very hard to interact with the knobs (HDG, ALT, IAS etc.) in it, especially on the default 747. When I move my mouse onto the know it displays a kind of arrows with both directions (see attached picture, near the IAS knob). Left/Right click or mouse wheel does not work. How do you do it?

Thank you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58117713/747-400%20United_1.jpg

Zicheng Cai

Drag it sideways... while clicking the left mouse button

But it's weird yes, not really a nice interface, although some add-ons have a better solution than the default one...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Drag it sideways... while clicking the left mouse button

But it's weird yes, not really a nice interface, although some add-ons have a better solution than the default one...

Hold Left Click and drag left or right.

Is there a plug-in that solves the problem?

Thank you.

Zicheng Cai

You may need to pan so as to give your mouse more room to run across the screen...otherwise it may take all day to run the alt up to FL350.etc

No.

What they are called are "manipulators" and they are built in to the cockpit. To remove them would mean you would have to go into the original 3D mesh and remove them.

I wonder if it would be possible to "bind" the left / right drag to a key via a plugin. Gaming mice and some tools are able to transform the mousewheel input into key actions and thus it would be possible to have mousewheel-knob interaction...

Flo

I wonder if it would be possible to "bind" the left / right drag to a key via a plugin. Gaming mice and some tools are able to transform the mousewheel input into key actions and thus it would be possible to have mousewheel-knob interaction...

Flo

Has anyone emailed Laminar Research about this inconvenience?

Zicheng Cai

Has anyone emailed Laminar Research about this inconvenience?

Yes, there has been a lot of discussion about changing the usage of the mousewheel and manipulating the knobs etc., but for a couple of reasons they are not going to change the system anytime soon (that's how I read it). Latest comment (July 2012) of the developers was this:

"User opinion is not ignored…User opinion is heavily taken into consideration. Users however do NOT have:

1) Our schedule

2) Our feature roadmap

3) Our source code and an understanding of the way the internals of the sim work

4) An understanding of how legacy aircraft work that we need to continue to support

We know what users want but there’s a cost to everything and at the moment I write this, the cost of scroll wheel manipulation is too great. That can change tomorrow, next week, next year or in v11 but you’re not going to see it in X-Plane 10.10 Beta 5 and that’s what this blog post is written about."

Cheers

Flo

Not being able to use the scrollwheel is one thing, but having to use this new system with the two arrows and dragging versus the old system where you could just click left or right to change the values is another. the new system sucks and it would be greatly appreciated to have at least the old system back for the changed planes. they are unplayable as it is now.

Kind regards

Roger