Sign in to follow this  
DeCampos

V1, Vr speeds

I often get V1 and Vr speeds with only 1 knot difference e.g.v1=134, Vr=135, is this common or am i doing something wrong?

It also affects fs2crew as it only calls v1 and misses rotate call.

thanks

Jose De Campos

London

V1 and Vr speeds obviously depend on the flap config and the weight of the aircraft (and possibly wind, runway length, runway condition, slope etc) Its quite common to have V1 the same or very close to Vr.

Unless there is a good reason not to, you can reject takeoff up to the rotation. There is rarely a good reason in the 737s case, so you will almost always see Vr close to V1 (or same), unless the runway is wet or contaminated.

Not uncommon to have V1 and Vr very close together. Keep in mind that V1 must always be before Vr. Both numbers are variable depending on aircraft weight, TODA, runway condition (DRY/WET). The split is wider on a wet runway.

You cannot safelt reject a take off once V1 has been called. You will almost certainly over run the runway (past any stopway) if you try. It's much safer to take the aircraft into the air and sort of issue out.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

The ONLY time to consider an RTO past V1 is if you are convinced that the aircraft is incapable of flight (such as dual engine failure at V1 or severe structural damage).

Unless there is a good reason not to, you can reject takeoff up to the rotation. There is rarely a good reason in the 737s case, so you will almost always see Vr close to V1 (or same), unless the runway is wet or contaminated.

This needs to be clarified a little bit. The maximum speed at which an aborted takeoff can be safely performed is called "v1." When v1 and vr are the same or very close, the meaning is that all the factors that reduce v1 for the given takeoff aren't enough to require that keep the plane from safely aborting the takeoff all the way up to (or nearly up to) the time of rotation.

There are plenty of good reasons even in the 737, it just might be that you're taking off at a lot of airports with long runways, low density altitudes, and weather that isn't effecting the stopping ability of the aircraft.

In the RW, the captain keeps his/her hand on the thrust levers until v1 is called by the pilot monitoring (the pilot not flying the plane). At that point the plane is committed to takeoff, and the captain's hand comes off the thrust levers. This is all done without regard to vr. If those speeds are close together or the same, v1 is still called first. It is a very critical number. "Rotate" can be called "late" if it's the same speed as v1 without much issue.

There are plenty of good reasons even in the 737, it just might be that you're taking off at a lot of airports with long runways, low density altitudes, and weather that isn't effecting the stopping ability of the aircraft.

That is pretty much what I meant - that the 737 rarely flies from an airport that does not have long runways and so. Weather is a consideration, I did include that.

But I will admit I am a bit skewed by flying mostly the 700 on flights of no more than 2 hours. Pretty sure that taking 800 for a transcon is different from this regard.