Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

SquawkBox 4 now working & starting in P3D within sim!

Hi guys,

In reading the other thread about this i decided to do some investigation.. heres the results..

SB4 now works perfectly in P3D... whether or not this is die to my system i dont know but here is what id did ... you can even start SB4 from within the sim so no need to start externally so the transponder and message box are on top of the panel..

Install SB4 as normal to FSX

Edit the DLL.XML in P3D

Make sure both VIP and Squawkbox plane foldres are copied form FSX to P3D (simobjects>aircraft)

The annoying "cant connect using simconnect - make sure flightsim is running" error was done away with by downloading a later version of simconnect and putting that in the Squawbox folder... the original is dated 2006 so i replaced it with one form 2007 (cant find any newer?).. this seemd to work

Opened P3D, started squawkbox from WITHIN game and no crashes..ATC fine... see other planes fine...

So far so good!

May be helpful for those striggling to get this to work with P3D!

Cheers

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

This issue has been the one thing holding me back from the switch as I only fly online.

I hope others can also chime in.

Out of curiosity, why do you guys prefer SB vs FSInn? In SB I could never get landing lights, flaps/gear retractions to be visible on the other online planes, plus the motion is choppy and not silky smooth like FSInn.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I am just curious over this because I hear there is no chance of FSInn working in P3D. SB4 I hear is the only option so far, so unfortunately I would have to use that.

Hi

I have just started using P3D/SB4 after having been a long time FSX/FSInn user.

The only issue I have had is the C++ Assertion failed problem, however if you just click cancel you can carry on flying (odd?).

I read that if you run SB4 outside of the sim this should help however, whenever I try I just get the error 'Squawkbox was unable to establish a connection'

So for me its still a bit hit or miss, but as I like to fly Vatsim its the ONLY option :rolleyes: I should just add that last night I spent 1.5 hrs online with Vatsim without a single error problem!

One other thing it may just be my set up (sim sounds through speaksers and voice through headset) but when a controller tx the volume in my speakers decreases for a few moments?

Anyway hope this helps persuade people to move over to P3D as it really is a great change

Cheers

Rusty

May be helpful for those striggling to get this to work with P3D!

Hello Doug,

I'v been trying to get it working exactly following your instructions. It's not the first time actually that I'm trying it and I thought giving it another chance.

But no good. The difference imho can only be the Simconect version, since you said you did NOT use the original one, but a later version.

Could you pls give me some more details on this version?

For now I can only launch and connect SB4 by executing from its folder. If I try from the Menu bar within P3D (v1.4) it doesn't launch and it also disappears from the Menu bar until the next time I launch P3D (all 3 dll's are also duly copied and added into the P3D DLL).

I must be missing something somewhere on the line.

salu2

Fdovillamil

Joop / GCLP

Please, how are your frame rates with the transponder/comms window open?

Hi Phil, the frame rates have not suffered form what i can see.. so long as its smooth i dont use the FPS counter...did my head in for ages when i was hung up on that thing! :blink:

My system specs are as follows..

System: 3770K @ 4.7ghz ~ 1.32v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Corsair Hydro H70 | 16g Corsair DDR3 1600mhz CL9 ~ 1.50v | GTX 670 oc | 306.63BETA drivers | nVidia Inspector 1.9.6.6 | Sandisk SP900 256g ssd - OS | Sandisk SP900 256g ssd - fsx | 1TB Seagate Barracuda storage | Aywun 750w Mega Power Pro 80plus | CM HAF 912 Advanced | CH Flight Stick & Pro Throttle | 2 x Asus VK278Q 27" 3840x1080x32 | Win 7 64bit Pro | Fsx+Acc+FTX+Rex E+TrackIR 5+Gsx+Accufeel+Opus+P3D 1.4

I will be doing some more testing later and if there is any major degradation i will report back...

Cheers!

Out of curiosity, why do you guys prefer SB vs FSInn? In SB I could never get landing lights, flaps/gear retractions to be visible on the other online planes, plus the motion is choppy and not silky smooth like FSInn.

Omni... I have thought about that too... no real reason other than when i used to fly on VATSIM a few years back it was the first piece of software that i used to enable me to do it... i have read a lot about FSINN and will be giving it a shot soon as i hear the models of other players are far better displayed... does it work in P3D though?

Cheers

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Hello Doug,

I'v been trying to get it working exactly following your instructions. It's not the first time actually that I'm trying it and I thought giving it another chance.

But no good. The difference imho can only be the Simconect version, since you said you did NOT use the original one, but a later version.

Could you pls give me some more details on this version?

For now I can only launch and connect SB4 by executing from its folder. If I try from the Menu bar within P3D (v1.4) it doesn't launch and it also disappears from the Menu bar until the next time I launch P3D (all 3 dll's are also duly copied and added into the P3D DLL).

I must be missing something somewhere on the line.

salu2

Fdovillamil

Joop / GCLP

Hmmmm...ok, in looking at my original post...I omitted to mention that i also have the latest FSUIPC (registered) version 4.858

perhaps this will assist....

The simconnect version that is originally installed with SB4: v10.0.60905.0 dated Sep 2006

The simconnect version that i replaced it with was : v10.0.61259.0 dated Sep 2007

I have tried to search for other versions but this was the only one i could find that was the latest..

I had read something about the disappearing entry under the addons so i installed (again) FSUIPC using the base installer and then updated the module to the latest... perhaps the latest simconnect dll within FSUIPC for P3D 1.4 has something to do with it?

Apart from that there was nothing extra that i did.... all i have now is that P3D doesnt want to hold my control settings for some reason!! Very frustrating!!!

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers

Doug

Doug 

Hi Doug,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I have FSUIPC registered/uptodate, but maube you're right there where you say to (un)install FSUIPC again.

In the winsxs folder I can see the this 61259 version in there.

I'll let you know how I get on

salu2

Joop / GCLP

Great Joop... will be interested to see what happens... if it doesn't work then i will keep hunting!

Where is this winxsx folder? My simconnect is in the SB folder?

All the best!

Doug

Doug 

Hello Doug,

Sorry to tell you, but it doesn't seem to work.

I must be missing something, because it can't be that difficult.

As I first installed it as usual in FSX, I tried it in FSX and it worked normally.

I'm really surprised and a bit disappointed, because till now I succeed installing nearly any addon in P3D!

What puzzles me is that I can't understand how a simconnect.dll can be used for P3D if the version is for example 10.0.61259.0, which is for FSX SP2.

In the Modules-folder I also saw a file called sb3gaugebridge.dll.

As discussed before I have FSUIPC4 (Reg.) v4.8.5.8 (before I had v4.8.5.7, but I don't think that this caused any problems).

If you have some ideas, Doug, pls let me know.

salu2

Joop / GCLP

Joop...are you using P3D v1.4?

Doug 

Ok Joop... i tried my setup again and tragically got the error message...

So what i did was changed the server i was using.... so each time i connected i could see if the simconnect error was still there..

The servers that worked were.. Europe C2...right through them all...

In fact, try each one until you get a connection... then go back to the server that didn't connect and it may well do so.. i had the error on Europe CW2... after connecting to other severs i went back to this and it worked again!

See if that works (if you haven't already tried it)

All the best!

Doug

Doug