Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Oh, yes we did... 16OCT12

AirDisplay is simply not a solution. As I said in another thread, the issues are twofold: you have to have the CDU screen slightly overlapped from the AirDisplay monitor to the main monitor, or it stops updating. You're also forced to use windowed mode, which kills your frame rate.

And that's not to mention the fact that you're basically transmitting the entire resolution of your tablet display across the network, rather than simply transmitting button presses and screen text. That could be near-instantaneous, and could be made to update in real time with minimal load on the host PC or network. (Ideal would be for the SDK to provide access to both screen text or rendered screen images for the CDU, and rendered screen images for the other displays, allowing all controls and displays to be mirrored on a tablet app for a more tactile experience.)

The AirDisplay route is anything but instantaneous, with significant lag even on a powerful PC and tablet.

I really, really hope PMDG considers opening up access to all of this, or builds the apps themselves. (But if the latter, it needs to be Android as well as iOS; lots of us don't let walled garden hardware in our houses.)

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN
Flight Sim user since the subLOGIC / Apple II days

AirDisplay is simply not a solution. As I said in another thread, the issues are twofold: you have to have the CDU screen slightly overlapped from the AirDisplay monitor to the main monitor, or it stops updating. You're also forced to use windowed mode, which kills your frame rate.

And that's not to mention the fact that you're basically transmitting the entire resolution of your tablet display across the network, rather than simply transmitting button presses and screen text. That could be near-instantaneous, and could be made to update in real time with minimal load on the host PC or network. (Ideal would be for the SDK to provide access to both screen text or rendered screen images for the CDU, and rendered screen images for the other displays, allowing all controls and displays to be mirrored on a tablet app for a more tactile experience.)

The AirDisplay route is anything but instantaneous, with significant lag even on a powerful PC and tablet.

I really, really hope PMDG considers opening up access to all of this, or builds the apps themselves. (But if the latter, it needs to be Android as well as iOS; lots of us don't let walled garden hardware in our houses.)

What app do you recommend? I'm getting an iPad here soon and just wondering

Thanks

Lee

So far, I've not seen one where the disadvantages don't outweigh the advantages.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

Iuse XDISPLAY soI will reply you according XDIPLAY performace:

AirDisplay is simply not a solution. As I said in another thread, the issues are twofold: you have to have the CDU screen slightly overlapped from the AirDisplay monitor to the main monitor, or it stops updating. You're also forced to use windowed mode, which kills your frame rate

- Do you think that? I dont see anyhing of the CDU on my main monitor and it updates normally without problems. Frame rates? I dont see any diference between using or nor XDISPLAY.

If you saw the modet video I uploaded, there is no LAG between I push a key and it appears on the CDU

That is your opinion, but I not agree with you sorry, I am using Xdisplay since I bought it an I am enjoing a lot with it, no problems at all, working smooth with my PC and iPAD

On the other hand I explained you can use XDISPLAY during 10 min for FREE, enough time to check if it works properly or not

- Do you think that? I dont see anyhing of the CDU on my main monitor and it updates normally without problems. Frame rates? I dont see any diference between using or nor XDISPLAY.

Yes, I think that, and multiple others have reported the exact same problem in a thread specifically related to AirDisplay. Or are you perhaps referring to a different app; not AirDisplay but XDisplay? If so, these replies will not be relevant, but I was talking about AirDisplay in the post you replied to.

There is also a very significant frame rate difference -- not because of AirDisplay itself, but because that setup forces you to run FSX in windowed mode to get the CDU on a secondary display. Compare FSX running full screen to FSX in windowed mode and you'll see a significant reduction in frame rates.

If you saw the modet video I uploaded, there is no LAG between I push a key and it appears on the CDU

I prefer to consider my own experience on a powerful PC (see signature for specs, though it's been upgraded a bit, now has dual SSDs for example) than trying to judge lag from somebody's random video online.

The lag is there, real, and could be erased almost totally by a setup that was designed by PMDG instead of a third-party kludge.

That is your opinion, but I not agree with you sorry, I am using Xdisplay since I bought it an I am enjoing a lot with it, no problems at all, working smooth with my PC and iPAD

It's my opinion and that of many others.

On the other hand I explained you can use XDISPLAY during 10 min for FREE, enough time to check if it works properly or not

I did more than that. I spent several hours trying to find a way to turn it into a usable setup. It was not physically possible to do so, unless I greatly dialed back my expectations of what "usable" meant. You may have different expectations.

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

I prefer to consider my own experience on a powerful PC (see signature for specs, though it's been upgraded a bit, now has dual SSDs for example) than trying to judge lag from somebody's random video online.

The lag is there, real, and could be erased almost totally by a setup that was designed by PMDG instead of a third-party kludge

May be all of you were wrong or I had too much luck, I will see you another fast video I did today to see the GREAT LAG when using the PMDG B737NGX FMC. My PC is 2 years old (Asus P6X58D-E, 6Gb Mushkin DDR3-1333, ASUS GFORCE 480, OCZ Agility 4 256Gb, Intel Core i7 930 2.80 GHz...)

Let me know if you consider there is LAG

Compare FSX running full screen to FSX in windowed mode and you'll see a significant reduction in frame rates.

Yes you are right this kind of programs force us to use Windows mode. I check the FPS difference between Window and full screen mode and last one give me 2 o 3 FPS more than Windows Mode, So I not agree again with you (at leats with my setup)

I did more than that. I spent several hours trying to find a way to turn it into a usable setup. It was not physically possible to do so, unless I greatly dialed back my expectations of what "usable" meant. You may have different expectations.

I just only install xdisplay on mi iPad and Splashtop Streamer on my PC, no more configs, no more tweaks....and running smoothly

May be all of you were wrong or I had too much luck, I will see you another fast video I did today to see the GREAT LAG when using the PMDG B737NGX FMC. My PC is 2 years old (Asus P6X58D-E, 6Gb Mushkin DDR3-1333, ASUS GFORCE 480, OCZ Agility 4 256Gb, Intel Core i7 930 2.80 GHz...)

Let me know if you consider there is LAG

No, because as I said, I am not going to judge lag from a video. It's not possible to accurately judge lag from a video, so I won't be trying.

Yes you are right this kind of programs force us to use Windows mode. I check the FPS difference between Window and full screen mode and last one give me 2 o 3 FPS more than Windows Mode, So I not agree again with you (at leats with my setup)

The lag will vary depending on your setup. Add complex scenery and other addons, high graphical settings, etc. and it will be more than two or three frames per second difference. In my own setup with a more powerful PC than your own (except for the graphics card), I was seeing up to something on the order of an 8-10fps difference, enough to turn smooth flight into stuttery flight.

I just only install xdisplay on mi iPad and Splashtop Streamer on my PC, no more configs, no more tweaks....and running smoothly

You're not talking about AirDisplay. I was not talking about Splashtop. They're two completely different products; no wonder you disagree.

All of this is beside the point, though. It is beyond dispute that a built-in mechanism for displaying the CDU on an external device would be far, far preferable than a simple screen-sharing app. It would take far less resources, waste far less network bandwidth, and be a significantly better experience.

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

You're not talking about AirDisplay. I was not talking about Splashtop. They're two completely different products; no wonder you disagree.

If you check my prvius post I use XDISPLAY not AIRDISPLAY, I tested AIRDISPLAY and it doesnt work properly, XDISPLAY is MUCH BETTER

No, because as I said, I am not going to judge lag from a video. It's not possible to accurately judge lag from a video, so I won't be trying.

So, in that case there is nothing to do. If you want you can check my hand speed, and compare it with the CDU LAG.

Dont worry I am not going waste the time trying to convice you, I tried to explain an alternative to use with FSx or P3D, if you consider it is not good or profitable to use OK, dont use it. I'll do it because I consider is a good tool

see you

We're at cross purposes here; I saw mention of AirDisplay, not XDisplay (which seems to be a variant of Splashtop). I dived in to reply to quickly and should have read more; my apologies.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

It's OK gweilo8888, in that case I recomend you try XDISPLAY, you can use it 10 min for free

Good Luck

So really these two are the best but they both have drawbacks, correct?

I don't really want a monthly subscription but I do want good performance.

Are there any other apps? A google search wasn't too helpful

Thanks

Lee

AirDisplay is definitely not worth trying. Splashtop when I tried it some time back wasn't any good either, but I am not sure I've tried version 2. (That said, it has trouble smoothly streaming video across my network when older versions were fine, so I have my reservations.) Not honestly sure about XDisplay or Splashtop 2, though; I'll try to give them a spin soon. But yes, there are definitely drawbacks. At the very least it will consume resources on the PC running FSX, and will require use of windowed mode.

Still, it may be worth putting up with that if it is smooth. The CDU is the most painful VC feature to deal with, unless you expand it (which rather takes you out of the whole "virtual feeling").

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

I use EZDOK lol

Id be using it for my aivlasoft efb

Cheers

PMDG please do what you DID,again soon please

jeff