Sign in to follow this  
SeanBH

Wow! Found a UA pilot in a LAX bar! 5 Hours Later.....

Guess I'm lucky then that my dad is a retired United 747-400 captain lol

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

One of my friends knows a fair bit about flight and his Dad flies the 737-700/-800 for SW. It's pretty cool because he is getting rid of his old manuals/checklists so he is giving them to me!

Guess I'm lucky then that my dad is a retired United 747-400 captain lol

See, there ya go...another person's that got all the luck. Unless he's got Alzheimers or deceased (gawd, please tell me he doesn't or isn't, PLEASE!), you win the award of sending out all the cryin' towels for those who WISHED they had a Dad like that. I had a Navy dad that just to LOOK at the planes going by.

Speaking of that...those of you who actually got to sit in a FP or FM seat during the last 11+ years (as opposed to those who haven't) and have admitted it online, YOU OWE US.. Not quite sure what, but I'm sure the community will decide your fate. :unsure:

One of my friends knows a fair bit about flight and his Dad flies the 737-700/-800 for SW. It's pretty cool because he is getting rid of his old manuals/checklists so he is giving them to me!

So it appears your job is clear...figure out how to take 10 billion pages, put then in one pdf, the disseminate the entire package out to the sim group. Simple. Don't forget the pages that detail the rules for shortcutting. :lol:

My dad worked as ground crew here in KPHX too, he did everything, loaded baggage, managed the push-tug vehicle, and anything else you could imagine! He had to memorize nearly every airport code that has flights to PHX/KPHX

killkenny1: geesh...am I gonna have ta be killkenny2? Seriously, good 'ol Rooskie joke. Let me guess: it was Vodka?! I've thought twice about mentioning this, but some of my best approaches have come after a few glasses of wine!! Anyone else wanna confess?

Sean

Playing FSX while beeing "under the influence" is one of my favorte things. Not something anyone should do IRL, but in FSX it's fun :D.

The best thing is, while you are pooped you still do all the precudures according to rules. And when you about to fall asleep, you have to make a landing, and we sure can't trust autoland to do it. So you pack your "stuff" together and do a perfect landing :D.

So it appears your job is clear...figure out how to take 10 billion pages, put then in one pdf, the disseminate the entire package out to the sim group. Simple. Don't forget the pages that detail the rules for shortcutting. :lol:

Unfortunately copyright might prevent that :(. As for your question regarding bleeds, I can only give you a general answer: bleeds on reduces the amount of power your plane can provide, so you would switch them off whenever you need extra power. For any more detail than that you'll have to find an actual pilot. The answer might also depend on company policy.

The engine design dictates where the air is actually bled from. Some take the bleed off only the HP compressor, others from the LP compressor, whilst yet more still take it from both, depending on engine RPM (HP at low RPM and LP at high RPM).

The power loss with bleeds on is significant. The v-speeds and performance-limited TOM are dictated by bleeds on/off for takeoff. Some aircraft switch them off automatically during the takeoff phase regardless, whilst others are manually selected.

Best regards,

Robin.

The other day I was working a parking lot accident involving 5 vehicles. One of the victims was this nice gray haired man, who after talking to him for a few minutes, turns out he is a retired airline pilot. Yup, you guessed it, my eyes lit up and we just started talking about aviation. He was a 767-200 Captain for USAirways and also flew for Piedmont Airlines. He said he had flown 727s, 737 classics, 757 and finally retired flying the 767. One thing that caught my attention was that he said he always flew domestic flights and referred to international flights as being overrated. hahaha He said the hours are crazy and it's not as glorious as some people think it is. By having seniority, he said he always chose to fly domestic routes.

Anyhow, I know that feeling of meeting an airline pilot and being able to pick his brain. I really have the utmost respect for them. So many lives in their hands. Great responsibility and always professional and up to the task.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

The other day I was working a parking lot accident involving 5 vehicles. One of the victims was this nice gray haired man, who after talking to him for a few minutes, turns out he is a retired airline pilot. Yup, you guessed it, my eyes lit up and we just started talking about aviation. He was a 767-200 Captain for USAirways and also flew for Piedmont Airlines. He said he had flown 727s, 737 classics, 757 and finally retired flying the 767. One thing that caught my attention was that he said he always flew domestic flights and referred to international flights as being overrated. hahaha He said the hours are crazy and it's not as glorious as some people think it is. By having seniority, he said he always chose to fly domestic routes.

Anyhow, I know that feeling of meeting an airline pilot and being able to pick his brain. I really have the utmost respect for them. So many lives in their hands. Great responsibility and always professional and up to the task.

Thanks guys! Efrain....Jeff also did mention he flew 727's- and agreed that they were one of an ATP's favorite airplane because they really hauled azz. He also flew 747's, but took the decrease to stay local also as he got older. And, from a passenger's perspective, it may have been glamourous the few first flights, but anything but now! But it still is FUN. (I guess I should tell you I make a horrible passenger in anything!). :-)

I guess I should feel pretty lucky that my brother is a 747 captain with KAL. I just always took it for granted. I guess because he can't get buddy passes. I do pick his brain from time to time. I do know many of his friends though. Maybe I should start picking their brains also. I'm sure they would just love to talk about work.

I guess I should feel pretty lucky that my brother is a 747 captain with KAL. I just always took it for granted. I guess because he can't get buddy passes. I do pick his brain from time to time. I do know many of his friends though. Maybe I should start picking their brains also. I'm sure they would just love to talk about work.

I've got an idea...you get your brother and friends together and invite us and we'll all pick their brains! You name the place! :-) Dare I ask that you've got the PMDG747? B)

This whole thing reminded me of this LOL!!!

http://youtu.be/LzAXb7qCCAo

I saw this a while ago (well, maybe a 'few' years ago!), and can't quit busting up at it! Thanks for the refresher! And other than the fact that Jeff really wasn't flying soon, it's spot on! :lol:

Jeff (or Geoff):

I don't know who you are, but I'm pretty sure you're glad you're not in Hoboken, NJ right now. Godspeed to all on the East Coast that got caught up in Sandy. :unsure: