Sign in to follow this  
hightower

OPUS FSX Easter Egg?

I fired up FSX this morning and decided to take off from KBTV, Burlington, VT and do a little sight seeing in my Waco YMF5. When the sim opened up at Rwy 33, I was blown away by what I saw. SNOW on the ground. At my home base in Worcester, MA, the FSX seasons change right around the solstice or the 21st of the particular month. Snow covered ground, for me, isn't usually seen till around December 21st or perhaps a few days earlier when FSX goes from Fall to Winter. So, is OPUS also controlling what is actually happening regarding past weather events?

Sandy rolled up to the west of KBTV and as cold air was pulled in from Canada, we saw the huge snow fall in West Virginia and surrounding areas. I don't know if Northwest New England also got hammered by snows, but if they did, OPUS has depicted that snow fall and changed the textures on the ground that I saw today, November 4th, way early for a season change (at least for me) in FSX.

One way to check this out. If you DON'T have OPUS FSX, go to KBTV and let me know what you see for ground cover. Maybe winter in FSX does come this much earlier for KBTV than for KORH.

Was it actually snowing in the sim or was it just ground textures changed? If it was snowing, FSX will update the ground textures.

I was flying from N. Ohio to the my AirHauler base in Greensboro NC during Sandy in a C208. In Wva it was snowing heavily and the ground was white until reaching right outside Greensboro where it switched to all rain. Took a trip from Greensboro to New Jersey in a PA31. Just north of Greensboro I encountered heavy snow. Remained that way to just west of Baltimore where it switched to all rain and the ground was no longer white . AS2012 Hurricane depiction on. It depicted the condition to the tee.! The Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains are still winter scene.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The OpusFSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Doesnt FSX change to winter textures 1st November? If I fly without real world weather I see snow textures at various places.

I fired up FSX this morning and decided to take off from KBTV, Burlington, VT and do a little sight seeing in my Waco YMF5. When the sim opened up at Rwy 33, I was blown away by what I saw. SNOW on the ground. At my home base in Worcester, MA, the FSX seasons change right around the solstice or the 21st of the particular month. Snow covered ground, for me, isn't usually seen till around December 21st or perhaps a few days earlier when FSX goes from Fall to Winter. So, is OPUS also controlling what is actually happening regarding past weather events?

Sandy rolled up to the west of KBTV and as cold air was pulled in from Canada, we saw the huge snow fall in West Virginia and surrounding areas. I don't know if Northwest New England also got hammered by snows, but if they did, OPUS has depicted that snow fall and changed the textures on the ground that I saw today, November 4th, way early for a season change (at least for me) in FSX.

One way to check this out. If you DON'T have OPUS FSX, go to KBTV and let me know what you see for ground cover. Maybe winter in FSX does come this much earlier for KBTV than for KORH.

I suspect what Rendi described is what you experienced. If there's a reporting station that has snow in the METAR, FSX will adjust the ground textures to match. Being from Calgary, winter has hit us early this year and we've got a good cover of snow on the ground and unless the METAR report for CYYC is reporting snow, my ground textures are still showing "fall". It could be Opus interpolated the METAR reports and updated the ground textures.

I suspect what Rendi described is what you experienced. If there's a reporting station that has snow in the METAR, FSX will adjust the ground textures to match. Being from Calgary, winter has hit us early this year and we've got a good cover of snow on the ground and unless the METAR report for CYYC is reporting snow, my ground textures are still showing "fall". It could be Opus interpolated the METAR reports and updated the ground textures.

I wasn't aware that FSX would do that, so I learned something new. After my flight from KBTV, I decided to see how far south the snow extended. So I took off from KLCI (NH) and headed northwest towards the White Mtns. I only had to get about 1000' AGL and I could see that the mountains were covered in snow, approximately 15-20 miles out.

Thanks

Doesnt FSX change to winter textures 1st November? If I fly without real world weather I see snow textures at various places.

I'm wondering too. Because it's about +10C at daytime where I fly and no snow whatsoever, yet I'm seeing winter textures in FSX.