Sign in to follow this  
simka

Autothrottle - thrust

I cannot figure out whether it is possible to set Autothrottle to 'on' and select the mode to 'thrust'.

I want to practise landings with the MD-11 with autothrottle as the only "automation". Is this possible?

In other airliners in FSX I have found it useful to use autothrottle in speed-mode and controlling the pitch manually

Since there is no autothrottle on/off-switch i guess Autoflight has to be selected and I would have to disarm/deselect any active lateral mode and any pitch mode? But still - I find that the aircraft wont let me choose my own autothrottle mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

I cannot figure out whether it is possible to set Autothrottle to 'on' and select the mode to 'thrust'.

Press the "AUTOFLIGHT" button. On the ground it will only activate the autothrottles. In the air, it will activate the autopilot and the autothrottles (if they were not activated on the ground). Use the speed selector knob to control the autothrottles. Pull the knob to select the speed in the speed select window and push the knob to hold the current airspeed.

Is this possible?

Yes.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Don't forget that you only need to press the AP button *ONCE* to engage BOTH auto-pilot and auto-throttle. You will then need to press the AP disconnect button twice to maintain manual flight (ensure you sync the heading to the current heading, and press ALT when in level flight to ensure the auto-flight doesn't start to turn you off-course when you engage it).

Ensure you have buttons mapped to AP disconnect and AT disconnect in FS. The first press DISENGAGES the function, the second press cancels the alert.

You may find it useful to disengage the flight director when hand-flying (top button on the panel to the left of the left MFD). I personally find my scan breaks down too readily when flying the FD, so I prefer to switch it off when hand-flying.

The AT system is very good at holding the speed if you fly smoothly.

Best regards,

Robin.

I want to practise landings with the MD-11 with autothrottle as the only "automation". Is this possible?

In other airliners in FSX I have found it useful to use autothrottle in speed-mode and controlling the pitch manually

Since there is no autothrottle on/off-switch i guess Autoflight has to be selected and I would have to disarm/deselect any active lateral mode and any pitch mode? But still - I find that the aircraft wont let me choose my own autothrottle mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

On lineup before takeoff push auto flight once only. This will arm the auto throttle.

Then bring the throttles the rest of the way up and you will hear it engage.

If you were to push it again after takeoff it's auto flight / autopilot, so don't do that for circuits.

To disconnect the auto throttle you need to map it to a button or a key in the PMDG keys menu or FSUIPC script. Same for auto flight disconnect.