Sign in to follow this  
HexOmega2319

Recently upgraded my system, FSX stuttering? CFG inc.

Syd, in my personal opinion, running AM 254 even on the HT-on 4-core CPU is futile. HT doesn't help with FSX and that's a final. Been confirmed so many times. I think it has been confirmed that there are neither + nor - to running HT though. My personal is: overclock as much as you can with HT off, this is where FSX benefits as much.

Otherwise the correct AM for 8-threaded CPU is 84 (01010100).

But still, I've followed your instructions, have the same settings in Nvidia Inspector and FSX and yet I get on average 20 fps in places where I should be getting 60. Alot of the times it's in the teens. Any idea Word Not Allowed? You seem to be the expert.

Thanks

Hex

HexOmega,

I see you running 254 too. How is your CPU configured?

Please follow my advices, as to set reflections to WATER_EFFECTS=6, not 7 like in your setup.

Try FFTF 0.20 instead of 0.15.

Did you set Maximum Prerendered Frames to 1 in Nvidia Inspector, did you set the Nvidia Inspector as to my guide?

Do you have a 2 monitor setup?

I get on average 20 fps in places where I should be getting 60

And those are?

HT Disabled, changed the settings you just noted. I have a 1 monitor setup, and I've been testing in KROC or Rochester NY. It's a good mix of Urban and rural. After changing those settings I am still experiencing around 15-20 fps.

With HT Disabled you should be running AM 14.

Well, if you have one monitor setup, then I wonder WHY do you have two [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0] lines in your FSX.cfg? That should *not* be the case if you started with a fresh FSX.cfg.

I know that in Rochester was yesterday overcast weather, because I was testing it - are you running with AS2012 on displaying overcast?

I started with a fresh FSX.cfg, and added it in thinking I would need 1 stating the card for only 1 monitor, I simply misread. And no I am not using AS2012, only the weather generator that is included with REX, not displaying overcast. Also, there's still artifacting going on even when scenery settings are reverted to "Very High".

Thanks!

Hex

Also noticed that my FPS is jumping from 15-20-30 fps all within a second or so, just with the QW757 sitting on the ground, I'm not sure if that is an indicator or not.

OK, all in all, there must be only one line for one monitor. And it must be a correct one (sometimes they are different, even if it's only a single space).

Well, do your tests with my settings and weather set to fair weather or cold fronts or something like that. For testing, you shouldn't get the GPU to peak, if that's happening.

For example: I also get artifacting if I load my GPU to 99% in GPUZ, which can happen with BP=0 and when running really $hitload of weather.

Just tried it with a cold front and your scenery settings. It's still artifacting and getting a solid 15-20 fps when looking towards the horizon, panning down increases the fps naturally, but still much lower than it should be. It does seem slightly smoother, but I'm stumped. Is there anything I can link you or screenshot for you that may provide you with more information?

Well I run an untweaked fsx.cfg, and it works very good for me, even on a less powerful computer than the one you have.

I would try to run some benchmark software to test the system to be sure that everything works before you run FSX. I always stresstest my system before benchmarking. You can see the benchmark programs I use here: http://simmerhead.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/the-benchmark-flight-simulator-x-acceleration-vs-prepar3d-v1-2/

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks!

HexAlso noticed that my FPS is jumping from 15-20-30 fps all within a second or so, just with the QW757 sitting on the ground, I'm not sure if that is an indicator or not.

Are you running windowed or full screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There only two AM settings: 14 for 4 core CPUs, 62 for 6 core CPUs. Using any other number will not make FSX use the virtual cores (HyperThreading). FSX can use up to 256 real cores, no virtual.

Dave

I'm running FSX in full screen with AM at 14 and my ingame settings are exactly like the one on your site. Still only achieving 15-20 fps with traffic turned completely off and weather set to cold fronts.

Hex

Could you post a screenshot of how the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager looks while you are playing FSX?

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I'm running FSX in full screen with AM at 14 and my ingame settings are exactly like the one on your site. Still only achieving 15-20 fps with traffic turned completely off and weather set to cold fronts.

Hex

Huuuuuuuuh??? What the hell.....

Then there must be something way worse going on on your system.

Did you try with default aircraft for instance...

Let's try this: unlock the FPS, disable any vsync both FSX.cfg (you can do it by non-deleting, just place /// in front of the line), and in Nvidia Inspector.

Then save your situation at default airport, no addon, with a default cold fronts. Choose default aircraft, as I might not own it. Full screen, view zoom factor 0.30 from cockpit VC (default view). Note your FPS, no matter how high it is. Then just save the situation and email me all the files to kosta88(at)gmx.at.

OK, here we are.

Limited FPS, my default config:

Unlimited FPS:

I think we must start with some basic stuff.

Post a shot of your task manager displaying all running processes. Scroll and make 2 shots of needed. Also performance page.

Then do a simple calculation tests on the CPU using SuperPI - this is only to determine if CPU is doing its work. http://www.computerb...marks/super-pi/

Let's see if something comes up here.

Say, what happens when you reset everything? Try following:

Backup/delete/rename your fsx.cfg, exe.xml, dll.xml, clear up Modules folder completely (move somewhere else) and reset your Nvidia Inspector profile for MS Flight Simulator X (revert to defaults).

What FPS are you getting with the test file you sent me? Let's keep testing on that file, since we now both have it.