Sign in to follow this  
Pappyhep

Anybody get EZDOK to work in windows8?

Unable to get EZdok recognized by win8. I've tried installing it every way I can think of, but nothing seems to work.

If you have it working, please let me in on the secret.

pappyhep

there's no secret it works fine for me

try downloading a fresh installer from Flight1?

Had to completely uninstall EZdok then re-install...works fine now. Thanks, level_7, for your help.

Hi folks,

Re-installed EZdok from the wrapper after building a new rig. Did a few test flights and then changed my FSX settings for EZdok. At this point EZdok is not working at all: constant white bracket around the "active" symbol on the interface, trackIr not recognized, aircraft cameras not switching views, etc. The usual weirdo problems. I did a fresh wrapper re-install but forgot to restore the aircraft.cfg files.Pappyhep1, I don't know how deep you did your reinstall, but I will do a real clean re-install using revo uninstaller.

EZdok is a great software. You cannot short-circuit the installation. It is unforgiving, like the Oracle database. It certainly teaches us to follow every step in an orderly fashion...like a checklist.

I have confidence the re-install will be successful after I clean my config files and re-install from the wrapper. I will keep you posted.

After a fresh re-install using the wrapper and updating to 1.17 EZdok is working... but not with TrackIr 5, which I also re-installed with version 5.2

There's a problem where TrackIr5 doesn't recognize FSX (RH green light on the hardware is off) when I rename the two SimConnect.manifest files in the Natural Point folder.

The EZdok cameras work, you can create them, switch views, etc., the "Active" symbol is alive but has a strange white bracket around it. The TrackIr symbol is black and despite doing the required tweaking with TrueView and Transform XYZ. There are no communication between the two software. There's something missing in this puzzle... I uninstalled EZdok again (with Revo Uninstaller) and will focus on getting TrackIr operating flawlessly with FSX. Then will see how much patience I have left.

I know this is a week old but I'll respond anyway.

I had many issues with 5.2 and Win8.

Went back to 5.1.3 and all was well again. I have the white boxes also but they do not affect my performance. I went to the Natural Point website and they say it's EZDok's problem because they do not use simconnect and that is what Natural Point supports (I am not sure but it seems they made some changes in 5.2 that affected what EZDok does with regard to bypassing simconnect). They do not provide support after renaming the .manifest files.

Hope you found a solution by now, if not maybe this will help.

Chuck Biggins

Hello Chuck,

I came to the same conclusion. Windows 8 only works with EZdok when you use the TIR 5.1.3 driver, and only after a complete clean uninstall of the EZCA and TIR 5.2 software. Upgraded to 5.2 just for a test and it predictably failed. Marniftarr on the Flight 1 forums indicated that they cannot guarantee a stable EZdok with Windows 8 but that it may come with the 2.0 version.

On the NaturalPoint forum, Seth said he was surprised to hear that the addons using TIR required a modification of their .manifest files. Even though developpers claim that renaming the TrackIR files is a mandatory advise that comes direct from NaturalPoint.

I spent quite some time on various forums trying to find out why these software were not working together, especially when you include a new operating system in the equation.

But the discussion with different parties on the integration of these add-ons was quite an eye-opener and a learning experience.

Now it's time to put that aside and fly.

Good to hear you're back flying. Hopefully Natural Point and EZdok will start talking. I really would not want TrackIR without EZdok. What EZDok does should be something built into TrackIR but that's wishful thinking.

Chuck Biggins

EZdok may provide support for W8 in version 2.0. I understand EZdok's developper is pretty much on his own, so we can't blame him. The software he made is quite exceptional. I will eventually try the OpusFSX camera system.

I had problems with the latest TrackIR drivers in Windows 7. I don't think the problems are unique to Windows8. Roll back and things just work better.

John

John Wingold

Part of the problem for both Win7 and Win8 has to do with security on the \Program Files (or \Program Files(x86)) folder. For these versions of Windows, processes launched from outside a child folder of \Program Files cannot access files in another child folder of \Program Files. I'm learning the hard way that while setting up a new 64-bit machine, it was a big mistake to accept the setup defaults and install FSX in the \Program Files(x86) folder. Not just EZDok and TrackIR, but also REX had issues. REX team fixed theirs in beta update 3.6.2013.0124 btw.

An experiment with user account control (UAC) confirmed my suspicions. Before turning off UAC in control panel, I couldn't get EZdok 1.15-1.17 to recognize TrackIR5.2.1 at all. With UAC off, EZDok sees TrackIR (EZdok Studio lights up all the TIR options). I still don't have TrackIR controlling pan/zoom alongside EZDok, however.

For those of you having problems, where do you have FSX, EZDok and TrackIR installed?

Nope, I was barking up wrong tree above. The winning combination is TrackIR 5.1.3 + EZDok 1.16.

Sigh...

Then fly!

Hello Shonji,

When I did the FSX re-install on my new rig, I put FSX TIR, and EZCA on my dedicated flight sim drive. But EZCA has never recognized TIR under W8. I gave up using EZCA since then.

I tried reverting to TIR 5.1.3, but used it with EZCA 1.17. Are you saying that you winning combination above worked with W8?

I have p3d installed. I have flightsim estonias migration tool. I have followed instructions to install ezdok camera into prepared. It installs fine, the only problem is that once inside the virtual cockpit, I press #2 key to start setting up my camera views, I hear the "beeping" but I cannot move around the VC to set up camera views. I have tried installing only version 1.15 and 1.17. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing is working. Also, per the migration tools instructions, I run P3D in legacy mode. I'm familiar with ezdok as it was installed on fsx when I had it, but what am I missing?