Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

3rd Gen i7 and FSX

Huge apologies for asking this, but as my first gen i7 computer blew up on Saturday searching through the forums properly on my phone is a real pain.

My question to the gurus here, is that on my old now defunct i7 2600 I had hyper threading turned of as mentioned in Word Not Allowed's guide if memory serves me correctly and with the other tweaks my performance was adequate and much improved prior to the tweaks. I have my configuration backed up and have a separate document detailing what I'd added etc to the configuration so thank goodness for that.

My question is, I'm getting a i7 3770 (in fact a whole new rig) and was wondering what experience anyone has had with it and would I still need to consider turning off hyper threading?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Bri.

My question is, I'm getting a i7 3770 (in fact a whole new rig) and was wondering what experience anyone has had with it and would I still need to consider turning off hyper threading?

The 3770 is nearly the same as the last gen i7. You will need to disable HT so you can OC higher. Also, be sure to buy the i7 3770K not the standard 3770.

Cool thanks for that :) its not the k but have had to get a ready built system as I just A, don't have the time or inclination to go though the whole component buying and building process as everything in my old pc needs to be replaced and B, WAIT lol

I am fully aware I will get stung for this in both quality of components and price its cost an arm and a leg as it is but hey ho :)

Edit: won't be OC'd just yet, this question was purely from a tweaking aspect.

When I went to switch it on late yesterday pm (after a complete reload of FSX) it was complely dead. After replacing the power supply it was still totally powerless. I was an electronics engineer in an earlier life... Anyway it was getting late and dark do this morning i resumed my fault finding only to discover fluid at the bottom of the case! It transpired that the graphics card coolant had sprung a leak and in daylight evidence that it was spread into a few other nooks and crannies of the motherboard. As this PC was a pre production 'sample' which I got for a really good price I declared it BER (beyond economical repair) and went in search of a replacement.

Getting a half decent or totally up to date latest PC build in the UK from a retailer is an impossibility. This morning I went into London and even called into Harrods and know-one has anything you can just pick up and walk away with that is even half decent. But that's another story which we won't go into lol

I have a 3770k and it runs really nicely, overclocked to 4.7 stable. I haven't turned multithreading off yet and I'm still pleased with performance- ngx at YMML Orbx gives me 20 fps on takeoff then leaps to 30 most of the time. You need a K though, if I don't overclock mine the fps tanks.

Hyperthreading should always be turned off as the CPU will run cooler, and that increases the maximum possible overclock frequency as most overclocks are limited by CPU temperature while under 100% load. Hyperthreading is really only for improved video encoding performance and most games and windows applications do not benefit from this feature.

If you're building a new system especially for FSX then the CPU cooler is your most important component after the CPU. Splurge on a good quality water cooling system like the Corsair H100.

I don't overclock my i7-3770 and I am delighted with the performance.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Hyperthreading should always be turned off as the CPU will run cooler, and that increases the maximum possible overclock frequency as most overclocks are limited by CPU temperature

Not true at all..

My HT is on, and has stayed on the entire time. I have tested it all with HT switched off and find it runs hotter with it switched off, and with it enabled, scenery is not as blurry in the distance. I can increase that LOD setting with HT enabled and it has no impact on performance, but with HT off, and leaving the LOD set higher, frames suffer and it looks blurry.

I have an i7 3820, and thats overclocked to 4.8GHz, stable, and runs at 36Deg...

Temperature does NOT affect how much you can overclock at all, obviously so long as the CPU is kept within its specified operating temperature..

For my overclocked CPU, the H100 would not be enough. You would want at least 4 fans on that H100 in push/pull and/or a lot of system fans moving a lot of air.

I run mine in an Antec P28, and have found that case to be soooo much better than the Corsair 600T it was in a month ago.. Less ventilation = more directed airflow, which for me turned into 10deg lower on the motherboard and less noise.