Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Makerunways.exe

What does this program actually do? I was under the impression that if a new AFCAD that includes, for example, a new runway addition, if you run makerunways.exe, RC4 will recognize that new runway. Yet, thus doesn't seem to happen.

Todd

What does this program actually do? I was under the impression that if a new AFCAD that includes, for example, a new runway addition, if you run makerunways.exe, RC4 will recognize that new runway. Yet, thus doesn't seem to happen.

All "MakeRunways" does is process all your scenery files, according to the layer list in SCENERY.CFG, and extracts data for airports, runways (location, orientaion, ILS etc), taxiways, gates and frequencies, placing all this in an assortment of different files suited to different programs. These files are created in the same folder, i.e. the main FS folder.

RC is just one of the programs which makes use of one or more of these files. But it doesn't do so automagically. you have to tell it to rebuild its Data Base. It then reads whichever files it likes and converts them to the format it likes.

By the way, "AFCAD" was the name of a well-known BGL editing program using graphical displays to help folks design or modify FS airport facilities data (AFD) which might be embedded in other scenery BGLs or in an AFD scenery BGL alone. MakeRunways finds these, in order, and processes them in the same way as FS itself would -- higher priority ones often superseding or adding to earlier ones. So a lot depends on your scenery layering.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

If your afd type file modification was on a scenery that ran at a lower priority than one for the same area it would not be recognized by the data sent to RC.

If RC and FS reside on the same PC and you have entered the proper path to FS in the RC scenery rebuild dialog then you can start by running the scenery rebuild from RC and it will execute it within FS9 after you enter "No" to the WideFS warning. RC will then copy and convert and derive the data it needs to the RCv4\data folder, namely copy the r5.csv in your FS9 folder as r4.csv in the rcv4\data folder. It will then deriver a4.csv from r4.csv. Those are the only files RC4 uses.

If RC is on a client to an FS host via WideFS then before you rebuild within RC you directly run makerwys.exe in your FS folder first. After that completes then you start RC4, run the scenery rebuild indicating your network path to FS, and answering "Yes" to the WideFS prompt.

To see if files were updated correctly in FS find r5.csv, right click, properties, and note the size and time and date stamp. The go into your rcv4\data folder and do the same for r4.csv and the derived a4.csv. They should be similar.

Also RC should be started with a shortcut property set to run as admin, a program level access privilege necessary for Win VISTA and later. That is different then user access.

Be sure makerwys is current (4.614 today) from:

http://forum.simflig...ional-programs/

To see if your modified scenery had the correct priority in FS9 open runways.txt with word or wordpad or other fast reader. It is a very large text file and log of makwrwys.exe operations. Search for the last occurrence of the ICAO airport code. That last section at the header should point to the folder where your modified scenery is located and include references to your added runway, etc. makerwys.exe does exclude runways shorter than about 1500 feet to avoid the pseudo short runways created in the "star" or "crosswind" technique to make non-parallel runways be recognized as parallel runways to FS so both can be simultaneously active.

OK, so just to be clear. I recently purchased the Aerosoft Anchorage scenery. The new scenery of course includes the Runway 14 number change. It is now 15 (I think I have it correct, but you get the picture ). When I rebuild the database in RC4, 'ATC' will now recognize Runway 15, correct?

Another example... FSDT KORD v2 has the new runways, and includes renumbering some of the old runways. Should RC4 now recognize the new runways and the renumbered runways (after rebuilding database of course)?

Todd

Yes, RC4 will recognize the new runways. You must run makerunways as administrator, and depending on your system you may need to turn UAC off for the file to be written.

DJ

you may need to turn UAC off for the file to be written.

Although you should have that switched off anyway!

You must run makerunways as administrator, and depending on your system you may need to turn UAC off for the file to be written.

Only true if you have FS installed in Program Files -- that's because of Windows protection of the Program Files folders against users. :-(

It's always best to install FS into its own root folder. Mine are E:\FS9, E:\FSX and E:\P3D. ;-)

Pete

Thanks for clarifying, Pete. My FS9 is in the Program Files folder. Can I change that easily?

Todd

Thanks for clarifying, Pete. My FS9 is in the Program Files folder. Can I change that easily?

Not that easily. There are two ways which might work with FS9 (but not FSX mind).

1. You could rename the current FS9 folder to say "OldFS9", then install a fresh copy elsewhere. THEN copy the complete file structure of OldFS9 over the new one, so updating it with any add-ons, patches etc. You'd need to do with with Windows Explorer run "as administrator". You Shouldn't need to touch anything else. One you've checked the new installation all works, you could delete the original, again with Explorer run "as administrator".

I've done this sort of thing several times even with FSX, but you have to be very careful not to confuse some add-ons.

2. Unlike FSX, it is perfectly safe to uninstall fS9 and reinstall it elsewhere. However, this means re-applyng the 9.1 patch and all your addons, then reconfiguring everything back to the way you had it.

It's up to you whether you want the hassle. Many folks do seem to manage with the default install. it does mean running many things "as administrator" though just so they can access the FS9 folders properly.

Regards

Pete

2. Unlike FSX, it is perfectly safe to uninstall fS9 and reinstall it elsewhere. However, this means re-applyng the 9.1 patch and all your addons, then reconfiguring everything back to the way you had it.

For FSX whats the procedure to uninstall/reinstall (possibly elsewhere) as Pete implies its not a simple matter of running the uninstaller and then running the installer (with a reboot between the two actions)?

Many applications require the path to FS9 in the registry. If FS9 is moved without a reinstall the registry would need to be patched.

There is a registry checker free utility here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

I am not sure if it allows you to determine the new path if it does not find FS9 in the old one since I never had that problem. Right click on it and run as admin.

For FSX whats the procedure to uninstall/reinstall (possibly elsewhere) as Pete implies its not a simple matter of running the uninstaller and then running the installer (with a reboot between the two actions)?

I've tried it and have never got SimConnect working properly again since. With Windows XP I could probably have sorted it out, but with Vista or Win7, no chance. The only solution I found afterwards was a complete re-install of Windows and all my applications.

It's all to do with the very complex "side by side" library system, which SimConnect is dependent upon. The uninstaller seems to make a real hash of it, and the mess becomes so complex that I gave up before it drove me crazy!

Pete

Many applications require the path to FS9 in the registry. If FS9 is moved without a reinstall the registry would need to be patched.

But that's why I suggested doing an actual install of a base FS9 BEFORE copying the original over. That way the registry is made correct, still. I've done this a lot. I even do it with FSX, but it takes more care -- though still a lot safer than using their buggy uninstsall first"!

Pete

I have installed a new scenery (Mega Airport Stockholm Arlanda), and I run makerunways in RC. Arlanda has 3 runways. 01L/19R, 01R/19L and 08/26. But RC only gives me 01l/19R, 01R/19L and 26. Not 08. How can that be?