Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

Foreflight and FSX

Just read on the flying mag website Foreflight now works with FSX with a small app that cost 5$.

Due to copyright tos I wont post the official info just go to flying magazine website.

Sean Green

Do. You know the name of the app?

Great news, I was looking to find a way tondo that using an usb bluetooth and FSUIPC gps serial communication option.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I am glad to see that a topic on this new app has been created here....

I paid the $5 and downloaded the 'app' to my FSX PC...only to find that it doesn't do anything. It is a 112kb 'file' that windows doesn't know what to do with. I was almost expecting some kind of networking client or something that would allow an interface with FSX from the PC to iPad or vice-versa....but there are no instructions, so I don't even know where to start with this little 'file'....

...And I emailed the support staff and have yet to recieve a reply....

I just saw it in my email when I got up. Have not purchased the app to try on my ipad yet to see how it works.

My guess is the app should go on your ipad not on you pc. This is why windows doesn't know what to with it.

I will be looking into it when I get off work.

Sean Green

Well, I appreciate the tip, Sean. I actually tried downloading it to the iPad, and it wouldn't let me...I got a 'Safari cannot load this file' error or something like that...

What's with this secret "app" stuff? I'm pretty sure Tom's PM to everyone was to stop people from posting copyrighted material. For example, copying and pasting the content of the flying magazine article would be a big no no. Linking to said article, would be okay.

The app in questiion can be found here: http://fsxflight.com/

Felix, did you follow the guide to set up foreflight with x-plane? You also have to have FSUIPC installed (free is enough). Hopefully you can get us some feedback on it. I'd love to use foreflight...good enough reason to start flight school :)

Well let me first give a bit more info....

I recieved the iPad3 as a gift about a week ago; I immediately downloaded the one-month free demo of Foreflight (It is widely used by my pilot buddies and they recommended it highly); I have not yet had a chance to use it in-plane, but I am confident that those functions necessary for my real-world flying will be A-plus. My home setup, however, is also important to me since I strive for as much familiarity and realism as I can get. I have a registered copy of the latest FSUIPC, and dotnet4.

...That is where the instructions lose me. I attempted to follow the 'do it the same way as in xplane' thing...but nothing shows up in the devices tab of Foreflight. The file itself...I dont know where to put it since the file itself doesn't do anything. My iPad isn't even being recognized by my FSX PC, and I am not entirely sure how to make it be recognized, as when I tried to allow the PC to 'discover' the iPad, nothing happened...

...Inside FSX, there is no drop-down selection for FSXflight or the iPad or Foreflight, and why would there be since the iPad isn't linked to FSX in any way? That is what I thought this little app would do. Hopefully the developer will respond to my email, and help me get it sorted, or someone who does get it to work will be able to shed some light on this since I would really like to use the Foreflight program with my FSX...

Well this is interesting. I use Foreflight with FSX via a GPS Sim Cable. Works great. However it doesn't supply power to the iPad. So this would be cool if it worked. Will be following this thread for sure.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

HEAVENS TO MURGATROID IT WORKS! Ok just put the app on your FSX PC's desktop. Start Foreflight and go to 'more' then 'devices' Now start the app. Then start FSX and go to your airport. You should see the app say connected to fsx, and you now can use Foreflight the same as when its hooked up to your real world GPS. Sweet! Anyone wanna buy a GPS Sim Cable hehe :lol:

Chris

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Sorry about not posting the link but posting in these forums is a scary propostion now. Not that I post that much anyway. <_<

Posts either get moved, locked or deleted for a simple oversight so I just thought better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the update Chris looks like a buy when I get home.

Sean Green

Hmmm....well I am still not having any luck with this. The file I downloaded is not an exe...it does nothing at all when I click on it. I have it on my desktop, and with everything set up as you described, the file simply does nothing at all, except open a window telling me that windows doesn't recognize the file type?

...Ok Idiot that I am...I fixed it by adding '.exe' to the file name. Instantly it turned into the FSXflight icon and now it works!!!!