Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Does size matter in a 64bit world?

I am about to add another 8GB of ram to my system, for a total of 16. I know it wont make any difference for 32bit apps, but now that XP is moving to a 64bit version, will I see any difference? Even if I don't, its no big deal, ram is cheap these days and it will give me a chance to blow the dust out of my computer while I do it. Just curious as to what I might expect, if anything?

Rob

Go for it comanche, its a no brainer!!!

The only thing I would add is that as long as you have at least Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit you're ok. Many people don't know this but Windows release version also limits the amount of ram available to your system, check this link:

http://social.techne...a-678b7c25358e/

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Another advantage of additional RAM is that you can make a RAM-disk. Essentially you can specify a portion of your RAM to be allocated to a "drive letter" and after boot up, you have a new drive (drive X for example). Then you can install X-Plane on the "X" drive and it essentially runs from RAM. Naturally when you reboot you lose the RAM drive, and it's rebuilt using the data from your hard drive on the next boot. Sacraficing boot time for faster program access might be worth it. I'd investigate making a portion of your RAM a RAM-drive. I know ASRock motherboards support this feature. Something to consider at least. You can allocate 8 GB to RAM and 8 GB to RAM-disk maybe, or even more if you had 32 GB of RAM.

Another advantage of additional RAM is that you can make a RAM-disk. Essentially you can specify a portion of your RAM to be allocated to a "drive letter" and after boot up, you have a new drive (drive X for example).

You don't even have to do this by hand. Windows 7 64 Bit and later use any not allocated RAM as a Cache anyway.

As soon as 8 bit computers hit the world I said to myself, yay! Size doesnt matter anymore, geeks will rule the world! If they dont, at least I still have something to fall back on...

I had 4 Gb of RAM, I now have 8 Gb of RAM, and it helps for using X-Plane with other applications. It also allows me to activate more options with the 64-bit version.

:smile:

Anything over 8GB of RAM serves no purpose for fsx. Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti bigger is better. I have 2400 MHz 16 gb ram, but I did it for video processing. It does nothing for fsx. If it did I would load my dimms up. If you are only concerned about fsx, then go with 8gb and put the extra money somewhere else.

Even loading fsx on a ram drive will only speed up loading times. It will not improve gaming performance. If you want to improve load times get two ssd, one for your OS and one for fsx.

IMHO

Rob was asking this for the 64-bit version of X-Plane, not for FSX. :wink:

Oops :-)

What is becoming more and more important for XP10 is VRAM, especially for those like me who like to crank up the eye candy.

Max out your rendering settiings and you will get past 1.5Gb of textures with very little effort!

So... having 12Gb of main system RAM in my PC was fine but I was sometimes struggling with my video card because it had "only" 1.5Gb of VRAM on board.

So last week I upgraded my GTX580 1.5Gb to a GTX680 4Gb and wow XP10 just flies now.

During last night's quick flight my rendering settings screen told me I was using over 2Gb of textures, ("Extreme" Objects, maxed trees, 75% clouds, HDR and 4xSSAA+FXAA anti-aliasing etc) but the experience really was smooth. :)

Size always matter...

Especially with so much competition in a 64 bits world..

:P