Sign in to follow this  
andreafsx

737NGX / FSX / Windows 8 x64

Dear PMDG, I've installed FSX on a Windows 8 Pro x64 clean installation.

Initially I had some troubles (sporadic sys errors) with FSX. I solved everything uninstalling and re-installing FSX, following carefully this sequence: install FSX (Deluxe Edition), run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, restart system, install FSX-SP1, run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, install FSX-SP2, run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, restart system, run (manually) windows update, run / configure FSX settings. Then installed FSUIPC 4.853 add-on and AI traffic (WOAI). After this procedure FSX runs (for hours) without any problem.

In this environment I've installed the PMDG MD-11 X that seems to work properly (I had some flights apparently without any trouble).

Now, I would like to buy (and fly) the 737NGX, so the questions are:

- Is the 737NGX compatible with this FSX / Windows 8 x64 environment?

- If not, what are the known issues and what is PMDG doing to fix them?

Andrea

Windows 8 Pro x64 / Intel Core i7 3770 3.40 GHz / ASUS P8P67 PRO / RAM Kingston HyperX 16 GByte DDR3-1600 (4 x 4GByte) / SSD Samsung 830 512 GByte / ASUS nVidia GTX 460 1 GByte RAM / LCD LED Samsung Monitor 1920 x 1080

Andrea,

Not sure if 100% compatible because the code belongs to PMDG. But I can tell you that I was using PMDG 737NGX SP1c with Windows 7 then upgraded to Windows 8 (no clean install) and I am not experiencing any issues up to the moment.

Adenilson

I have Win 8 64 bit clean install and all is working fine with PMDG products. Only issue with Win 8 is random controller dropout. Example, joystick/yoke will not work anymore... This has nothing to do with PMDG and might be related to USB 3.0 but still to early to tell....

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

I have Win 8 64 bit clean install and all is working fine with PMDG products. Only issue with Win 8 is random controller dropout. Example, joystick/yoke will not work anymore... This has nothing to do with PMDG and might be related to USB 3.0 but still to early to tell....

I have a cordless joystick (Logitech Freedom 2.4) so I shuldn't have dropuots...

Andrea

The same happened here, but after updating/re-installing my joystick's driver (Thrustmaster) all went well.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Hazardous & hvw,

You cannot connect a joystick or yoke in a USB 3.0 port because it´s designed for USB 2.0.

Other reason is because USB 2.0 is continuously energized and USB 3.0 not so this is the reason for your device dropout.

Cheers,

Adenilson

I don't see any official position on PMDG part. How can I interpret this silence? Is this a tacit admission that there are problems running 737NGX on Windows 8?

Andrea

Andrefsx,

I think PMDG is in silence because for sure they never extensively tested the bird with Windows 8 to issue a formal position. Maybe they are very overloaded with 777 and SP2 of 737NGX.

Adenilson

Andreafsx, I think PMDG is in silence because for sure they never extensively tested the bird with Windows 8 to issue a formal position. Maybe they are very overloaded with 777 and SP2 of 737NGX.

Adenilson

Adenilson, I'm evaluating to buy the 737NGX and I woldn't take a step into the darkness, because I definitely cannot turn back to Windows 7.

SP2 for 737NGX? Good news!!! And when does PMDG plan to release SP2 of 737NGX?

Andrea

Andrea,

There are several topics about SP2 being worked by PMDG but release date is something unclear from their side.

We need to wait but I can tell you that PMDG 737NGX is really very good compared with the real aircraft systems and competition.

Adenilson

Adenilson,

I'm pretty sure that the 737NGX is more than an excellent product, also because I'm quite familiar with PMDG aircrafts: I flew the 737 NG for years, after the 747-400, after the 747-400X and after the MD-11X.

My point here is not the quality but if I have to expect some kind of trouble running the 737 NGX in Windows 8 x64.

Andrea

Andrea,

Even if you consider Windows 7, we have millions of hardwares and configurations worldwide so there's no 100% guarantee that PMDG 737NGX would work like a charm in all systems.

I gave me a trial despite of the risk of my notebook get in trouble. But I took into account 3 points before proceed :

a - First listen to some feedback from forums and in majority most of people had no major issues with Windows 8;

b - My notebook manufacturer (Samsung) posted Windows 8 drivers in their website leaving me more confortable;

c - Third Microsoft told that the Windows 8 core code was based on Windows 7 so I was expecting no major issues with PMDG 737NGX.

I don't have a 100% correct answer to give you (specially for your system). You should give a trial or not.

Regards,

Adenilson

Adenilson,

I finally decided not to wait any longer and take the risk. Just bought, downloaded and installed the 737NGX base package and some liveries. As suggested by the introductory manual, before installing it I uninstalled and re-installed FSX from scratch in C:/FSX folder to avoid any problem resulting from various Windows protection and permission issues forced upon programs placed in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories, and tweaked fsx.cfg using Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service.

Now I'm running the 737NGX with FSX in Windows 8 Pro x64!!! For the moment it seems that everithing is ok...

Andrea

Dear PMDG, I've installed FSX on a Windows 8 Pro x64 clean installation.

Initially I had some troubles (sporadic sys errors) with FSX. I solved everything uninstalling and re-installing FSX, following carefully this sequence: install FSX (Deluxe Edition), run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, restart system, install FSX-SP1, run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, install FSX-SP2, run FSX and load a flight (don't save), close FSX, restart system, run (manually) windows update, run / configure FSX settings. Then installed FSUIPC 4.853 add-on and AI traffic (WOAI). After this procedure FSX runs (for hours) without any problem.

Andrea

Very detailed description of how you installed everything, but there are at least 2 very important omissions ( maybe you did them, but if not, you should)

(1) DEFRAG your FSX drive after installing FSX. (especially if it's a mechanical HD)

Makes an enormous difference to how smoothly FSX runs.

(2) Install FSX "outside" of the protected "Program files x86" area. (as recommended in an earlier post)