Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

Turbulence

This is really frustrating. I have the latest beta version 2.70.11.

With the free FSrealWX lite weather program I get turbulence acting on my aircraft whilst performing circuits at ENNM. With OpusFSX - very little, and nothing if I tick FSX turbulence OFF in the FSX options window.

What do I have to do to get OpusFSX to replicate accurate and occasional turbulence? The VC cockpit view constantly shaking is not realistic unless you're entering a stall or one of the props has fallen off. I want the turbulence to act on the entire aircraft like it does in FSrealWX/ASE/REX. I have "bump" ticked but it doesn't appear to do anything. All I get is the VC view shaking constantly with no variation in strength.

Can anyone post a screenshot of the DHM window with all the sliders and boxes setup as you would expect it to be for turbulence acting on the aircraft?

Help! And thanks for any tips!

Adam

You definitely are not seeing the DHM effects at all otherwise the cockpit wouldn't just shake. Create a VC view in Live Camera with the DHM option enabled, just use all default settings in DHM for the moment and check to see if you have realistic and smooth DHM effects, as recorded by the accelerometer. Your system must be able to render smooth DHM and/or AHM effects before attempting to bump the aircraft in harmony. The DHM was recorded at 20ms resolution so that is why there is a warning to check your system in the dialog. Assuming everything is OK and you have saved your view perhaps assigning it as default for your specific aircraft, then just make sure you select it and you should see the smooth DHM effects to depict head movement. If that's OK then try the bump aircraft option in the latest beta (still in beta dev) but it should be harmonious with the DHM. Also note the LWE determines the severity and likelihood of turbulence so don't expect your aircraft to just be in turbulent conditions all the time, its not an on/off switch.

Any problems just post a request on the Bump Aircraft topic in our support forum, I'm sure plenty of people will assist you. But make sure you can render those DHM smoothly first, if all you get is a bit of shaking then that is not correct. It should look like a cockpit video.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen what is The condition to perform turbulence? Do you download areas of it or add it randomly?

I'm asking cause I seem to have turbulence on most takeoffs and landings.. Your effect makes for some really crazy approaches with extensive banking to hold The heading, both on ap and manual flight.(ngx)

Make sure you are using the latest release. The turbulence strength and frequency is determined by the LWE based on considering many factors and the meteorological conditions surrounding your aircraft. These parameters effect both the captured high and low frequency accelerometer data. At low levels wind speed and gusts become a factor, one considering the likelihood of rotor type turbulence, the other extending slightly to higher elevations. But many factors are considered, temperature gradients, cloud bases and depths, proximity of CBs and TCUs, etc. We will soon be adding CAT (Clear Air Turbulence).

You can also use the slider controls in the DHM dialog to adjust the levels for your specific aircraft or personal preference.

Regards

Stephen

P.S. Of course you have the option to turn off the bump aircraft option and just use the head movement effects. I should also have said you can use the less or more tick box options.

It would be great to couple the turbulence feature to just weather rather than via a view as an option.

Ideally having Opus turbulence injected into the aircraft as an additional signal to say accufeel and DHM then reacting to the aircraft signal to move its view around?

Maybe it could only be done by setting FSX turbulence but having that as an option would be good as creating default camera positions for all my aircraft seem daunting, not to mention never taking advantage of accufeel physics such as water.

Having set up a camera with aircraft bump it does look good but the aircraft systems do not seem to react, speed is rock solid, ailerons don't move as the AP corrects roll and the VSI doesn't move up or down in response to gusts. Would rather have the aircraft react rather than how it's done now if possible, I suspect that would also mean wings would flex as noticed in other threads that they don't now.

For turbulence on the aircraft itself select both the Bump Aircraft and Turbulence Effects options (Turbulent Motion and/or Turbulent Bump) within DHM.

We have introduced an intelligent wing flex in the latest beta, to be released shortly. To see the wing flex you must enable advanced animations (which is set via the FSX menu option - Options, Settings, Display. Select the Graphics tab).

I don't believe it is possible for us to alter the VSI but if you enable turbulence and thermal effects on the aircraft in FSX (which is set via the FSX menu option - Options, Settings, Display. Select the Weather tab, there is an option for turbulence and thermal effects on the aircraft) then you should see the ASI, VSI and ailerons react.